For Sale - WW2 Thompson M1A1 machine gun (yes machine gun) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

For Sale WW2 Thompson M1A1 machine gun (yes machine gun)

Discussion in 'Other Parts & Collectibles' started by LightGuy, Apr 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    IIRC, there are a few states like that. It's been a source of humor for years, that Semi is too dangerous "cuz it's wunna them eeeevil Assault Rifulz".
    Not that far from the first days of when Texas kindly granted us the privilege of Concealed Carry, and wouldn't grandfather those of us with C3.......... so we continued to carry our Fed-approved M11s, Micro Uzis, and MP5Ks.

LightGuy likes this.
  2. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Shot this gun yesterday as a birthday gift to myself.
    Didn't know what to expect as it was first Tommy gun experience.
    Was expecting lots of recoil and muzzle lift from the .45 ACP round.
    Nope..smooth as glass. Every shot in the bowling pin zone of a man sized target even with full mag dumps of 30.
    Very controllable.

carguyjohn350 and SAFE4NOW like this.
  3. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Well, happy 39th!! ;)

LightGuy likes this.
  4. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    No affiliation other than I have done business with them previously on a 3pc set of Morris customs
    Thinking about a 1911...

Jackson Armory - Near SMU
    http://www.jacksonarmory.com/JA/

They may be a good source for you, then again, you may already know of them since you are local too!

S

p.s. If you go by their store, be sure to stop by Peggy Sue BBQ or Kuby's Sausage House ( German )

LightGuy likes this.
  5. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I just got back from vacation which included a weekend stop at the annual national Thompson machine gun show in Ohio. Took this gun and different style gun to show. WOWSERS !! Turns out the two guns I bought are original like new un-refinished examples. Apparently the vast majority were arsenal refinished whether they needed it or not. As a matter of fact the guy who literally wrote the book on WW2 Thompsons, Frank Iannamico, had never seen one before. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/index.html . Nor had anyone else. The US government contracted two firms to build them for the war; Savage and Auto Ordinance. Whomever put this pair together bought one of each. Therefore because of the special nature of the pair I'm not going to break them up so am taking it off the market.

David_S and carguyjohn350 like this.
  6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's a crazy fact!

Good for you.

7. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Sometimes even a blind hog finds an acorn ;)

8. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    A few years back, I was a member of the Snohomish County Sheriffs Advisory board. During that time The sheriff invited the members to the shooting range where we were allowed to shoot all of the legal and illegal weapons either in their arsenal or confiscated .

One such was a real honest to god Thompson Machine gun. Now let me take you back to a James Cagney movie of the '30's where he was a bad guy walking down the street with 2 tommy guns firing as he walked. 1st let me tell you with a full drum of 50 shells its all you can do to hold 1 gun straight out supporting the barrel with the forward grip, let alone shoot it. Cagney was a little guy and the thought that he could carry and shoot 2 fully loaded at the same time just was not going to happen. While it looked good on film it was a far cry from reality, but it sold tickets.

Th next thing was a word of caution from the sheriff that before we pulled the trigger be sure to keep a tight grip on the handle under the barrel as the recoil would take the barrel grip out of your hand and make a perfect arc up towards the ceiling while firing. The operation of the gun was to pull back the spring lever on the side to give spring pressure against the drum and firing mechanism, once that is pulled back and set you are ready to aim and pull the trigger. These guns were fully automatic and would spend the 50
    shells in one continuous burst. Then you had to remove the spent drum and replace it with a fully loaded one. It only takes a few seconds to empty the drum.

I had this very heavy gun in what I thought was in control when I pulled the trigger the recoil was so quick it jerked the front grip out of my hand, and I'm no small handed light weight. It was one hell of a rush to actually shoot the tommy once I regained control.

just sayin'

tr0768