WTF? New CHP method for undercover work? | FerrariChat

WTF? New CHP method for undercover work?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by tzucc, Jul 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tzucc

tzucc Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2003
    So I am cruising up 280N this AM. About Pagemill Rd, I see some Caltrans trucks off to the right. The second one caught my interest. Brand new, it had some large white cylindrical dome on top of it. I was thinking immediately of airport radar radomes.

As I pass it, I look back. I see an opening in the dome facing the front, towards passing vehicles rear plates for example, and someone looking out with something in hand, either binoculars or perhaps a radar gun.

Perhaps this is a new way to catch speeders unaware, hiding in Caltrans?

In any case, beware... CHP may have a new weapon up their sleeves.

2. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Tony,

I think this is illegal. I have heard of this in other countries, but my understanding is that such a move to catch speeders would be considered illegal in CA.

Thanks for the heads-up, though. BTW, your car came up in conversation a while back. I can't remember when, but you were "seen." :D

--Dan

3. ART360

ART360 Guest

Valentine1 is the solution.

Art

4. tzucc

tzucc Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2003
    Well, I am not sure of what this vehicle was used for, but my gut told me SLOW down, like now. Yes, Valentine1 is a necessity... must get.

Dan, sorry to see your car scuff. I have had some interesting experience recently with some paint repair on my car. Finding an artist of auto paint is definitely a requirement... this stuff ain't easy. Also, a friend down in Carmel has a 550 I saw on Saturday which he keeps in immaculate exterior condition. Your car can REALLY look good when washed/waxed :)

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Are you saying it doesn't now? Tony...I'm hurt! Actually that one had me literally chuckling! ;)

Good instinct...I'll have to keep a look out. We should start our own version of "speedtrap.com" - Maybe I'll do it ont he new server whenever I get it up.

--Dan

6. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    So is speeding...malum prohibitum at least.

I have heard of some states that have tried tactics such as having police officers dress up as construction workers with radar/laser guns disguised as surveying equipment.

7. cal355

cal355 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Cal
    Another CHP warning.101N on the GGB,CHP motorcycle officers sitting on their bikes midspan in the pedestrian walkway with radar,relaying your speed to waiting CHP at the end of the bridge span parked at the vista point.Keep your radar sniffer up to date.They are using laser and instant-on KH band.

8. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
  9. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    V1 is essential, I can't even drive withought one anymore. Feel naked.

Dan- have web server(s) will travel! What you got in mind?

Art can chime in here far better than I can, but if you do get nabbed this way, and you contest, I belive BOTH officers have to show up in court! There is something that can be done to insure no trial continuance is granted (schegule for 44 days out of the 45 allowed by 'speedy and fair trial' guidelines, etc.) Consult your attorney.

PS: you mean instant-on KA, right?

10. tzucc

tzucc Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2003
    I've seen the GGB trap before. The officers shooting the microwaves were hiding behind a bridge column. Very sneaky. Well, if they are all on the 680, for example, they then can't be all over the 280!!!

11. smsmd

smsmd Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Steven Scates MD
    There is an article about police in disguise using radar in the Wall Street J online today. Sounds like it is becoming more common to dress up as homeless people, etc to catch us off guard.

steve

12. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The bastards in PA do it, too. They dress up as PennDot workers in their little yellow trucks. It was on the local news a couple od months back.

13. tzucc

tzucc Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2003
    What would be kind of cool, on a not too far off distant future, is that the V1's will (using Bluetooth perhaps) pass on indications/warnings to a cellphone that has an integrated GPS and sends type of warning and location back to a central web server (via 1xrtt channel or whatever), that then any cellphone browser can access (and using the internal GPS) and display real time radar trap info.

Now that would be high tech gadget of the year.

14. ART360

ART360 Guest

Both officers need to appear to make the ticket work. However, if your cited in Marin, the lovely Kelly won't listen to reason. She'd convict even if there was a video proving your innocence. If you get one of those, first thing is to disqualify her, you can't reason with her under any circumstances.

Art

15. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Dude don't worry. It's just surveyors. they have that tripod thing up in the dome. Ive seen it a construction site.

16. tzucc

tzucc Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2003
    Makes sense... there were surveyors a mile previous. THanks for the explanation. Good to know they aren't spending alot money to create diversions.

17. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    I've seen the Cal-Trans 'turret' truck as well. I always thought it was a laser measure device for overpasses and whatnot. Survey equipment makes sense.

As it was stated above, California in particular, it is illegal to disguise, camoflauge speed measuring devices and personnel for the purposes of trapping speeders. They can't play that game here as they do in other states.

The best tactic the Highway Patrol has been able to come up with is to park their cars or bikes on an elevated highway ramp that merges into the flow of traffic, where as soon as pass the ramp, their Stalker Dual gets an ass shot of your speed. You can only hope that the radar waves bounce off the cars ahead of you so that your radar detector catches a whiff of what lies ahead. Box vans and tractor trailers are a god-send for reflecting waves.

Ka/K band - The Stalker Dual and Stalker Dual SL

Now, from what I know of the Stalker Dual is that it is a precision speed measuring device with a rotating internal antenna to track multiple lanes. The operator has three speed displays to read,
    Target Speed - The strongest vehicle read
    Fast - The fastest speed out of the bunch
    Patrol Speed - The posted speed limit
    It's only indicator is to display fastest target speed, it is then up the the CHP to find the fastest car of the pack, clock the speed with their vehicle and make the kill. The Stalker does not tell which lane or which car, ONLY the fastest target. But if you are alone or in a single lane, you're screwed.

The Stalker Dual is the choice of the CHP and in a sick way, I'm glad they use that one. It has the strongest broadcast signal of the radar units and when your radar detector starts to beep, it gives you plenty of time to adjust your speed when they are parked roadside. That Stalker is so strong, the signal bounces off trees, edges, trailers, everything!

Its no doubt, the Ferrari arena swears by the V1. Its a good unit. During the Yosemite run, I used the Bell Vector 945. One driver ahead of me had a V1 and was getting Ka signals about two miles ahead. My Bell on Highway mode was letting me know there was something up ahead as well. But as far as telling me if it was in front or in back, that's where the V1 has the edge. Well, I don't need to tell the owners of the V1 what they already know. :)

Art,
    That Kelly sounds like she has a serious problem with the Constitution. US citizens do not need the likes of her sitting on the bench. She needs to be given two options, step down from office and find other sources of income or be handcuffed, taken out into the street and shot for practicing hard line communism law in the United States.

18. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    I appeared before the lovely Kelly. I won't go into it, but she listened thoughtfully while I explained why I thought the City had a problem with the particular intersection I had allegedly infracted. Then she told me she was finding me guilty, but encouraged me to appeal! I think she is descended from Judge Roy Bean.

I hope to never go before her or any other traffic court again, but how would one go about disqualifying a traffic court judge?

19. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002

They do this in the UK / parts of europe. Road Angel is the name, I believe. Used especially with Gatso-cams.

--Dan

20. tzucc

tzucc Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2003
    Dan the man. Is there any thing new under the sun.
    If you have any links or info about such system, I would appreciate it.

edit: I found Road Angel in the first google search. Yes, it's quite like I imagined. Except for one critical feature or two. Appears not to upload real time alerts of radar/laser indications, or download fresh sightings. Clearly such features will be on the way soon. Appears that anything reasonably high tech and mobile appears first in asia, then in Europe, then some time (much) later, in the US. Isn't there something really wrong with this picture???

21. ART360

ART360 Guest

See California Code of Civil Procedure, Section 170.6 which specifies exactly what must be said to disqualify her. There is a special California Judicial Council Form for that disqualification.

By the way, she isn't a communist, she a facist. There is a difference.

Art

22. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002

Their law enforcement is horribly worse. I think, honestly, we're better off not "needing" it, persay! ... Imagine the state of being if we did need it. By then European cars would automatically slow downt o speed limits and Japanese cars would drive themselves at 30 km/h!

-_Dan

23. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    If the Stalker's signals aren't admissible (which I gather you are indicating from the above) then I'll take that situation :) I figure if the officer has the oppertunity to creep up on me, match speeds for a while, all while I'm none the wiser, then I probally DESERVE the ticket for simply not paying attention while driving fast.
    I don't mind being held to a higher standard, I just cringe every time I hear 'zero tolerance'.

PS: I wonder if a person can bring charges against a judge in regards to their cases? ('yeah right' factor asside.) Grose negligence, direliction of duty, willful noncompliance, etc. I wonder how long it will be before she screws over the wrong person.

24. tzucc

tzucc Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2003
    From recent newspaper articles it seems CHP will write a ticket for anything a few miles over 65.... anybody have evidence of this? I wonder how Dan will be able to work his magic in an environment like this?

25. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee