WTF - $500 parking ticket in Arlington | FerrariChat

WTF - $500 parking ticket in Arlington

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Robin, Nov 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    1:18am in a street-side handicap spot next to the Whole Foods... looked it up and the range is $100-500. Guessing I got the $500 fine since the metermaid figures I have a Ferrari and therefore won't mind paying $500 for a friggin parking ticket. Stupid me for parking there, but $500??? wtf. I'll gladly pay $100, but not this bs. How many little old ladies are going to the grocery store at 1:18am? Would be helpful if there were more than 10 parking spaces around the city as well...

Anyone ever challenged this kinda crap? and since I'm a FL resident and have FL tags, and will be driving the car back to FL in a few weeks anyway, what happens if i decide not to feed the VA revenue stream? argh.

R

2. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    You did it, so just pay it. You took the risk and it did not pay off.

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

At 1:18 AM, wasn't there another spot nearby you could have used? And at 1:18 AM, there's very little chance the ticket was written by a meter maid.

Pay the focking ticket, you deserve it. Should have booted you ass, or flat bedded it out of there.

There's no excuse for being lazy, and it is its own reward.

DM

4. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Dam that is a hefty fine!!!! Down here the handicap ones are $100 max.

5. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Robin,

That seems excessive too me. That said, it's a revenue generator........

Why don't you take a picture of the area at that time in the am showing no one else there? Then take it to court and take your chances. I find judges far more reasonable then officers.

G/L

6. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Those officers are just abunch of *****S.

7. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.

'aint that the truth!!!!!

;)

8. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    VA sucks for any ticket. i was doing 70 on a quiet bright beautiful highway ,posted 50 mph. got a 6 point negligent driving must -appear ticket ,475.00
    if i had a gun , i would have shot the cop, then myself . that was 5 yrs ago ...no ticket since, knock on wood.

9. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    for 50 bucks you could "borrow" someones handicap mirror hanger go to court and sat the hanger must of fell off. case closed. mdshore dude shooting cops is not cool, even in jest..

10. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    that wouldn't really work if they saw you go into court walking right and its just better to pay it off than to just lye and get your self in morw s**t than your already in.

11. abugatti

abugatti Rookie

Sep 28, 2005
    may be some old lady was there at 1:10AM and her spot was taken so she called meter maid.

12. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Yeah yeah I know I'm a moron for parking there, but there's almost nowhere to park in Arlington, and it was so damn late I figured the metermaids were all asleep. I'll pay the stupid thing because I deserve it, but I'm going to call first to see what the criteria is for selecting a fine when there's a range and see if I can get it lowered. Given that I have no outstanding tickets, in fact, never had a parking ticket in VA, no traffic violations here in over 6 years, etc etc... wouldn't you think they'd start with $100 for a first time offense? Then if I racked up a nice collection of parking tickets, they'd start to bump the fine up. The way I see it, they saw a $$$ car and whipped up the max fine. It's classism I tell ya! :)

ok done ranting. Looks like Arlington will get a few bucks towards new paintjobs for their metermaid scooters.

-R

13. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    I would go to court and try the "I really screwed up" defense with the judge. Most judges are not out to get max penalties or fines from the average citizen. Showing up and being contrite will usually at least get the fine reduced. They are looking for evidence that the punishment they decide upon will have the effect they want - that is, to motivate you to never disobey a traffic or parking law ever again the rest of your life. So, if you appear to be fully aware that you violated the regulations and that you are now very sorry you did, it eliminates their need to make your punishment "a significant consequence" to you.

Also, avoid discussing the f-car. It works against you in this case. It implies that you can afford the $500 fine and traffic judges probably don't understand why someone would buy a car that can go 3 - 4 times the max speed limit.

14. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    I once got a $500 parking ticket in Arlington at my company's office in a company truck when I parked in a "no parking zone" but the sign was faced where I could only see the back of it. I didn't pay it because there was no way to track who had the company car and the officer didn't get my license number. These days parking or any other ticket will find you even if you live out of the state where you got the ticket. If you don't pay it you may find that your license has ben revoked and that is a real problem to straighten out. What ever you end up paying make sure you save all the paperwork for many years to come, I've heard some real horror stories.

15. holminator

holminator Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 3, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Prince Falafel
    Hahaha! I just got a picture of my Buick hoopdee speeding in DC. I'll see if I can scan it in for sh#$ and giggles. I hate DC (oh, yeah, but I was in the wrong, too). :)

16. waltos91

waltos91 Karting

May 24, 2005
    Owings Mills, MD
    Full Name:
    David Waltos
    Go to court, plead guilty, and ask the judge to consider you prior record. I'm sure you'll get a reduced fine (at least that's what usually happens here in Maryland, which ain't much better than Va.) Good luck!

17. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    First and foremost, indicate you simply did not notice it was a handicapped space, and would never willfully use a space for those who rightfully deserve it.

Indicate you saw the ticket, read it, then saw the handicapped parking sign for the first time.

Upon closer inspection, the sign indicated there was a $100-500 range for the fine.

Mention your law-abiding, spotless record and reiterate your oversight was unintentional.

Humbly request your previously unblemished record be taken into consideration as "your honor" reviews the charge which you accept but the upper range of penalty is the only thing you question.

Remember to use the words, "your honor," early and often as you fake sincerity.

18. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    do not go to court. you will be found guilty and have to pay the ticket plus cost and if you upset the judge it could get worse (voice of experience). with a mirror hanger it doesn't have to be yours. you can use it if your transporting someone handicapped.

19. Cartman

Cartman Karting

Aug 3, 2004
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    While it's not right, you can definitely use someone else's handicapped tag.. My g/f was in Philly a few months back with some friends, and they got the front spot in front of a hot nightclub.. Only later when they came back to the car and saw a ticket on the windshield did they realize that they parked in a handicapped spot. Ticket was for $300!

The passenger's mother is actually handicapped, so they called the station and said that the tag must have fallen off of the mirror. They asked her to fax a copy of the handicapped tag, and they'd cancel the ticket. Problem solved.

Good luck!

20. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    SAGE ADVICE..... Robin are you getting the picture here? Transporting relatives is really very noble of you..... I too have been in this exact situation!
    PM me if you need more info.

21. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    you just reminded me that I have an unpaid parking ticket (only $25 though... expired meter in Georgetown)

22. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Hm good idea. Anyone know any handicapped people? :)

-R

23. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony

I can think of a few

Antony

24. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    I hate to rant here but I can not believe how low most of you are going on this, Look guys...he did it, admits it and still you are trying to lie your way out of it. All in all it is pretty cheap,petty and classless. Be a man and buck up and pay, and stay the hell out of handicap parking spaces. Karma is a ***** some days.

25. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

AMEN!

Pay the fine, move along. If the $500 is because you parked a Ferrari in the space, and it would have been $100 if you parked a Yugo there, so be it.

The cost of going to the hearing to get the fine lowered may be more than the fine itself in your time and energy.

DM