WTB used classic boat...POP? | FerrariChat

WTB used classic boat...POP?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by 11506apollo, May 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    hi
    I am in the market for a used 25' to 30' boat with classic lines, fiberglass of course but with some wood as trim in deck and panel etc. Single or twin I/O. No diesel. small cabin ok, but since its for a lake, walkthrough windshield would be ideal. Walkaround ok too. below $40k
    During my search I often come across POP. its a weird entity. looks like a bunch of agents acting as brokers. Anyone has any feedback on POP? thanks

2. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Never heard of it.....
    Go to CL & type in Chris Craft under 'boats' that will give you a good local selection to peruse. Go to Yachtworld & do the same. Go to ebay & do the same. By this time you should have a good overview. Below $40K it may be old & need tlc......keep us posted.

3. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I think you mean Pop Yachts. If you create an account with them, their brokers will spam your email, based on your searches or suggest other boats they have for sale...... Not a fan of Pop.

BoulderFCar likes this.
  4. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    THAts what I wanted to hear. Thanks fellas

5. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Sooo continuing my search for a used 28’ or so boat for lake use. Found a nice 2001 Formula 280 SS single engine (I like) in Texas
    I looked at it and ask for a PPI at a nearby marine mexhanic. Dealer said he needs an offer and a 10% deposit “before” the PPI.
    I am still in shock. There are 60,000 boats for sale in the US. Why would they impose such a ridiculous request upon a serious cash buyer?
    Soo,.....I passed....moving on!

6. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    In the boat world a PPI is called a Marine survey. 10% to escrow and sale subject to sea trial and survey is pretty much the way it goes. A true marine survey is pretty invasive and is usually has two survey guys. One does drivetrain the other does everything else. On a single engine 28' you may be able to find someone that really knows Formulas to do both. It will probably not be a certified survey though and your insurance may require a marine survey.

LARRYH likes this.
  7. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    All I asked for was for a motor and lower unit check by a marine mechanic near the dealer. This is a 17 yrs old boat. Not a luxury yatcht.
    I think it is not reasonable to ask a prospective buyer for a deposit and an offer before the boat is checked. Is not like there are people lined up at their dealership eager to buy that boat. If I was the owner I would gladly tow the boat 4 miles for an inspection. Sounds like he is not really interested in selling. Cheers

8. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    normally a deposit and negotiated deal is pretty standard.. can't really blame anyone can't just let anyone start messing with your boat....
    however Formulas are great boats have owned several over the years...
    also look on YACHTWORLD.COM....