WTB 308 GTB | FerrariChat

WTB 308 GTB

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by Yoric, Jul 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Gents,
    I've been without an F-car for several years and would like to rejoin the brotherhood if I can find a nice GTB for sale in our neck of the woods. It almost has to be a coupe, carbureted and a 308, BUT I might be tempted to consider other variables if everything else falls into place. Email me <[email protected]> if you have or know of one.
    TIA
    Ric

2. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

3. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    who is Alas? Does s/he have one for sale?

4. jmn

jmn Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    jmn
    Hi Ric,
    Hope you are doing well. Seems like deja vu...it was only 11 years ago that you posted a nearly identical ad. Just for fun, I looked up my response:
    -----Response from 2005
    Hi Ricardo,
    My name is Jonathan Nelson and I may have a Ferrari that would interest you, although I am only interested in selling if another car I am pursuing becomes available. I have owned my 308gtb for about 12 years and I know the car's history. It is black/tan, full Euro spec (dry sump, deep spoiler, vestigial bumpers, etc) fiberglass car. I drove the car a lot up until I bought a boxer a few year ago (also Black-but with dark red interior, also full euro spec). My 308 is titled as a 1977 and the serial number reflects that it is one of the last fiberglass cars. It has a fairly rare factory dual exhaust with matching rear panel work, unlike most glass cars. I have always been able to tune the car to pass emissions without problem, and now that it is over 25 yrs old, it's kind of a non-issue. I have the original wheels with tires, but I purchased a set of 16" QV wheels from my friend Ted Waibel (new) and installed P-zeros. This is a very nice running, driving car. I suppose it is getting close to needing belts, which I'd be happy to do if I decide to sell. There is no question in my mind that this spec is far and away the most desirable of all the 308 series, and the most collectable long-term.
    I am not a dealer or anything like that, but I am an Italian car guy almost from infancy. I also own the Boxer, a Mexico, a 365 Gt (Kenny Sindall's old car), a '59 Giulietta Spider Veloce, a '66 Giulia Spider Veloce, and some Caterham Sevens (not Italian, but I hear one hurt an ""F40LM"" pretty bad at a short track a while back). I and the car live in unincorporated Jeffco (near Arvada), which is only more than 250 miles from Boulder in ideology. Drop me a message if you'd like to talk about the car.
    ---- end of response from 2005

Crazy! And a little bit prescient... The amazing part is you came over and checked out the car and I offered it to you for what I paid for it back in 92 or 93-- $30,000, iirc. Ouch, times have changed. Anyway, good luck on your search.

Jon

ps. Yes, I do. And most of the others as well, and a 575 and some other stuff. And I have 5 children now, not 4 (and the dubious distinction of having a freshman at Mines and a kindergartner both starting school in a couple weeks). Not on here much, life is busy.

5. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Hey Jon,
    Yep, how well I remember. Since the sale of your 308 became delayed I bought a 328 from Lambo of Dallas, a car with only 6,200 miles that I couldn't bear to drive for fear of hurting it. Subsequently sold it to a fellow F-chatter (Dave O) who already had a higher mileage one. That was some years ago and, after gathering several Porsches, Mercs, Corvettes and even a Maxton (see Bob Sutherland), I now want another GTB so I can deal with the fun and the grief of owning a third F-car. Want to double your money on the 308?
    Congratulations on your growing family.

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

... poor Yoric...

Sorry, was having some Shakespearian fun with your screen name. :) :)

7. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Ah, yes, unlike Hamlet, I did not know him well. Act V, scene 1. At any rate, I should spell mine Yo ric (as in "Yo, Ric[ardo]).
    C'mon, stop this jesting and help me find a 308GTB.

8. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    #8 furmano, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, I don't have a lead on a 308 GTB, but on a separate note, anyone remember this meet up? :D

(Yoric your former car is the closest one in the picture, then owned by Dave, now owned by Rachid. :))

-F
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Thanks for the memories Furmano. Don't much miss the 328 since I rarely drove it (6,200 miles when I sold it to Dave O) and couldn't work on it myself other than oil changes because of the f.i. Can't believe how hard it has been looking for and, as yet, not finding a nice quality 308 GTB driver. I've had two offered in the $100K range, which may or not be realistic for trailer queens but certainly not for a driver as I envision it. One of the two sellers claimed to have spent ~$40K for mechanicals on his. Go figure. In retrospect I should have further declared my budget to be $65-75K so as not to waste anyone's time including my own. So, I'm still in the market. Hopefully with all of the left coast auctions out of the way for the dreamers in our hobby and Labor Day soon to come and go, somebody, somewhere, may decide to sell instead of storing his/hers for the winter season.
    Ready to buy, with a trailer and a piggybank on stanby.
    TIA
    Yoric

10. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    Checkered flag has a 77 GTB for 79K
    There is a 1983 QV on ebay 82K buy it now with 29k miles

11. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Furman, I am pretty sure that Ric owned it then, and Dave owned his other 328GTB (the others are yours and mine, duh). I could be wrong, though.

12. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    #12 furmano, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Dave owned ALL of them!!! (OK, not all of them.)

The closest one in the picture was Yoric's, the third closest was Dave's. And then Dave bought Yoric's and he had two, and then he sold the first one he had (third closest in the picture) and then he sold the one Yoric used to own to Rachid. (It's possible I may have the mixed up the two, Dave's may be the closest one in the pic and Yoric's the third closest.)

Everyone keeping up? There will be a test. (Or not.) :)

Regardless, I don't believe a meet up of four 328 GTB has ever happened outside of Europe. And until I see evidence otherwise, I assert it had never happened before period. Not even at the factory.

Yeah, it's harder to find these older V8 models than people might think. Especially the 'B's'.

-F

13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Yes, I know but at the time that pic was taken Dave hadn't bought Ric's car yet. He had his old one and Ric owned his and you and I owned ours respectively. By the way, you're the only one who still owns his. Quite an accomplishment!

14. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Yep, in that pic it's Yoric's, your's, Dave's, and mine. And since that pic was taken Yoric's became Dave's second 328 GTB and then it became Rachid's. And it still has less than 10,000 miles on it. :D

As far as me being the last of the group to still own one, that gives me a sad. But in all honesty, I feel Yoric's pain. I've driven the car like three times this summer. :(

But every time I do I'm like, wow, what a car. Gawd Ferrari got it right with this car.

As far as a carb'ed 308 GTB, it seems like there aren't many places to go. Fantasy Junction? Michael Sheehan? Ferrari Market Letter? Ferrari Club of America classifieds?

In all seriousness Ric, I would start a thread in the 308/328 section. There are guys in there who keep track of the carb'ed 308, they would probably know the lay of the land better than anyone. How many carb'ed 308 GTB are there in the US, less than 100 units?

-F

15. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    It has almost 11k on it now. :)

Ric, the best condition 308 GTB QV in the US is owned by a sponsor here: MBrandonMotorcars. It's for sale and I think that the price is very reasonable. You should hit him up and try to make a deal.

16. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Ric, e-mail sent to you.

17. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Yoric, any luck finding a 308 GTB? I see there is a black 308 QV GTB for sale in the FChat classifieds.

If you haven't found one yet and haven't already checked out the 308 Market thread in the 308 section I recommend checking that out. When 308's come up for sale they usually get posted in that thread.

-F

18. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Thank you Furmano for the heads up, but at $100+K my definition of a driver no longer computes.

19. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I understand.

I would poke around the 308/328 section and make a thread there.

Those guys have a really good idea of what the market looks like and seem to know about cars before they come onto the market.

-F

20. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    I gave you two leads for gtb's in your price range above.

21. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yo-Ric, why not put a wanted ad in the FerrariAd? Who knows, you might end up with a few cars to chose from.

22. galileo

galileo Formula Junior

May 20, 2011
    #22 galileo, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Don't be bashful. Publish your price, place where you're located, and put up some pictures. Do it. I might not be the only one interested if it's a fair deal all around.

24. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Any luck find a GTB?

25. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Mike,
    Nope, I guess I'm losing some enthusiasm or just not trying hard enough. However, when it starts to feel too much like work then it stops being fun. The very few offers dangled before me have been--in my opinion, of course--insincere (fishing), overpriced ($100K+), impractical (international), unresponsive (unanswered contacts), and so on. I've pretty much decided that if one doesn't come to me in the near future so be it. The fever will eventually pass.