WRX why all the hype? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

WRX why all the hype?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Mojo, Nov 16, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RymanF1

RymanF1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2005
    schattin your review there was compairing a WRX STI to a evo this guys is asking about the WRX non STI version, big difference between the 2

2. onefastwrx04

onefastwrx04 Rookie

Feb 10, 2005
    Woodlands Texas
    Full Name:
    Conrad
    I had a 2004 San Remo Red REX nd yes I loved the car! It wes fast stock but it had ups and downs. The AWD is cool but no burnouts. then the turbo lag was halfass bad then wheels and brakes sucked. I had about 18k into motor and interior before I WAS PLEASED WITH IT. Then whenI finally finished it I got hit by a semi truck and totaled then the WRX worked great by saving my life

3. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph

No I never did, but I do think they are a bargin for there performance.
    My wife hates the look, she thinks there a little square box.
    So im thinking older 911 or something like that just to tinker with.
    I don't know, there are so many cars and SUV's that I like.

4. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    You're not making enough power.

5. FFOUR

FFOUR F1 Veteran

Sep 14, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Mike, what are your thoughts on the newer HSV's in comparison to a WRX (not sure if you've driven others then your GTO)?

I took a VX Clubsport R8 on a testdrive last night just to experience one, and although this one was an auto (I would buy a manual) I found it impressive. It maybe wasn't as fast as I expected but alot smoother/quieter then I expected from a LS1.
    I also find the interior (leather) alot nicer then in a WRX.....

Also, do you think I am better off saving a little longer and getting an STi instead of settling for a 'normal' WRX?

6. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The new HSV's are fast. They fell fast, and they go fast. But that's about it. They are still feel like a Holden. Right upto the GTO i had. Still felt like a taxi. A taxi with 300KW mind you! The quality just is not there. Compared to Subaru that is.

The LS1 is a nice engine. But is fairly restricted down here in Aus.

Get a normal WRX if you want speed. And spend the change on mods.

Get the STI if you want a very capable package. But at risk of it being knocked off etc...

Pm me for more discussion if you want.

7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    In AWD cars though, burnouts are a bad idea. Now powerslides through gravel or snowy parking lots, that's fun!

8. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    I've done a few AWD burnouts in my Typhoon. Not too good for the drivetrain, but darned impressive/cool-looking. I'd also be willing to bet that it causes less strain on the vehicle than hooking hard.

9. Sheldon

Sheldon Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Sheldon
    My mom has a WRX. A silver wagon one. It's a blast to drive, but I find the turbo lag is a pain in any gear below 4000RPM's. You just need to keep it up there.

10. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Some people call it turbo "lag" but I think it should be turbo "surprise" - it rewards those who wait. It's all about perspective ;).

11. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Understatement of the warranty period.

STis have developed a history of fragged gearboxes, EVOs have developed burned clutches -- and both brands of dealers are getting tired of warranty claims on them.

It's interesting to go back and read the '03 comparo. The newer EVOs now have the 6-speed, and Mitsu has added the RS and MR editions to the US lineup, both with the lim-slip front diff.

The review was right on one point: The top mounted intercooler did cause a heat soak problem for STis in Cali, where 91 octane was the best they could get. A heat-soaked i/c plus 91 made for some serious pinging. Scooby responded with an ECU reflash to compensate. What people didn't see coming was the tendency of the large scoop to collect birds. (really.)

The review was also right about the shifter: One of the factory STis in the '03 Sn*Drift rally got the shift wrong and spun out of the rally. I've sometimes wanted to add one of those dash mounted gear indicators, even on my 5-spd EVO, due to the tight (non gated) shifter.

I was beginning to think I should'a waited on my EVO: the MR also has a center diff that will unlock for handbrake turns. But then I moved a bit south, to a town where the bicycles outrun the traffic (largely due to horrific traffic lights apparently set by Exxon stockholders). Not enough snow, road room, or momentum to pull off handbrake turns. :(

12. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    Another option is the Saabaru, aka the Saab 9-2x, which is basically a WRX wagon with a luxury package (leather, xenon lights, sunroof, a little more sound insulation). These cars are eligible for the GM employee discount so you can hop into a fully loaded one for about what Subaru charges for a wagon. I think it's a little better looking too.

13. Dr JonboyG

Dr JonboyG Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gitlin
    #38 Dr JonboyG, Jul 21, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's actually slightly cheaper than the equivalent WRX wagon now, and the two years free servicing helps too. And yes, much better looking than the WRX. Then again, I'm biased as I just bought one.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander

Looking good! You should paint your calipers... I just did mine red on my blue WRX and it looks pretty good.

15. Dr JonboyG

Dr JonboyG Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gitlin
    Thanks. I might paint them, although before I do anything like that I need an accessport to give the car some guts below 3000. It's rapid when the boost gets going, but pretty weak before that. And the gearshift is like stirring wet pasta compared to my miata, so I might put in an STi short shift kit.

16. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies

Great choice! I forgot about the free service, that is huge, not to mention an extra year on the warranty. Great car, I love that color too.

17. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yeah, I've really wanted an Accessport for a while. The caliper paint is only $15 at WalMart for the Duplicolor kit, comes with brake dust cleaner etc. If you only have one good jack and can do one wheel at a time, it takes a good 4 hours though because the paint is fairly thin and it needs at least 3 coats on these calipers. If you had a lift or something it could be a 1-1.5hr job.

Of course, between coats I got most of the caked on brakedust off of the wheels too, so they were nice and shiny.

18. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Anyone have the re-badged Saab 9-2 aero? Right now they have GM employee pricing and a $6000 rebate which makes it less than the Suby. I am going to go and test drive one tomorrow.

19. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    There's 2 in this very thread I think.

20. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I meant to ask about a bit longer term ownership, not just purchased. They have been out about a year and I was wondering how well they hold up? Do they stay pretty "tight" and quiet for highway driving?

21. axemansean

axemansean Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    You can buy a used WRX in the 12,000 - 15,000 range with low miles. To me thats a very good bang for the buck 4 door all year car. Its got a good fun factor to add onto it.

There are some who took the rear spoiler off the STi and took it to the track, it got a wee bit tail happy for their pleasure.

22. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Took the Saab for a ride today and it was a little too small for a long highway cruiser. I'm 6'1" and needed about 2 more inches of legroom to be comfortable for longer periods which is the bulk of my driving. With 8-9k off sticker, it would be a great AWD scoot for daily around town duties if you want to avoid SUV's.

23. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    A highway cruiser it is not... and we've put over 36k miles in under 24 months, mostly freeway. I'm 6'0 in shoes and on the highway I need the seat all the way back so my knees don't ache, even then after about 4 or 5 hours the sport seats get sore on your thys.

24. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Check out Top Gear on Discovery channel at 10pm (E/P) tonite (wed 27th). They're putting an EVO FQ400 up against a Lambo Murci on the track.

Just FYI.

25. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I'd bet on the EVO for a track. As you know, they're light and geared low - on a run over 100mph the Murci would walk away, but under 100mph it's going to be all EVO.

Back in April at the Rampage we watched an Elise stay ahead of a 575 and a Murci lap after lap... it would lose ground on the straights but would fly through the curves.