wrx/sti? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

wrx/sti?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Intheflesh, Jun 7, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    damn that does look good in orange.

i am having the dealer install the spt short shift, exhaust, self dimming mirror and arm rest extension. dont really think i need anything else.

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    My DD is a dark gray 2008 STi. I'm putting over 125 miles on it daily and have few complaints. It's easy to drive in stop-and-go traffic (which is how I spend most of my commute) and fun when things finally open up. For what it's worth, I'm averaging just over 20 miles per gallon. My only gripe would be the crappy sound system.

Congrats on the new 2013 hatch! Though I like the dark gray, that orange sure has a lot of "eyeball."

3. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    in cayenne, i was averaging 14.5 combined lol. Anything is an improvement over that. I only have a 5 mile commute to work every day anyways, so gas isnt that much of a concern. My SO just bought a Kia Sportage (amazing car for the $$ btw) that sips gas, so we usually use that on long drives.

sound system i am not too worried about. I have a bunch of sound equipment I am pulling out of cayenne this weekend. I did not get a the factory nav with the wrx bc i figured I would be putting my Kenwood DNX in anyways.

4. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I agree. I need to trip on down to the local dealer and test driver one just for fun as I have never driven a WRX or STi.

5. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    update:

apparently i went to the wrong dealership lol.

I placed my order at my local dealer Aug 31 ( i believe that was the date). Ive been checking their inventory almost every day to see if one close to my specs cames in. they get another WRX in about every 2 weeks, but nothing close to what i wanted

I checked the inventory of some surrounding area dealers and realized one about 60 miles away had 15 in stock. They didnt have any limiteds in stock, so i guess that makes me feel a little better.

Last friday I got word from my dealership that my car has left port in Japan, and is enroute to Baltimore (the US port of entry). They said it should be 'a few weeks' until it is at the dealer.

It is a 13' limited wrx hatch, black. I ordered it with SPT exhaust and short shift kit.
    I already have a set of hellas ready to be installed (i had to lol)

now the waiting....

6. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I am looking forward to your pics.

7. ztunelover

ztunelover Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    WRX have lower maintenance costs than sti. Is a little softer and slower as well. Fairly enjoyable ride. Interior isn't gonna be anywhere near as nice as the cayenne. But as far as I am concerned it is a lot of fun, and you can use it year around, if you get a lot of snow I also recommend that you check out the forester 2.5xt, it is a lot of fun with a bit of extra ground clearance.

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    After a Porsche, you will not be happy with the poor interior quality of a Subaru. I would go with another VW product such as a GTI, Golf R or even a TDI Jetta.

9. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    You already said the same thing in this thread. While I appreciate your input I don't need someone telling me what car I should like and shouldn't. Thank you.

10. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I've taken a previous-generation WRX on several 1000+ mile road trips, and while I liked the car, there was something peculiar about the gas pedal ergonomics (for me). I couldn't drive the thing for more than about 4 hours without suffering pain in my leg, and I had no idea why; this didn't happen in any other car. These kinds of things are hard to discover on test drives.

11. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Same issues I had with my '02 4Runner and get in my Miata, never had that issue with any of my MR2's but..............we should also take into consideration the physical aspect. Such things can be eliminated by upgrading to seating rails that allow more adjustment.

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #37 texasmr2, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
    I have started considering a 2nd Gen WRX Wagon for my next DD, what things other than the obvious should be looked at? My plan is too purchase from a dealer.

13. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    what year is that?

14. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I believe it was the 2000-2007 model which was the first rendition sold in the US market. There is a Scubby dealer less than 15min's from my house so I plan to go by and get a few test drives if possible.

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #40 texasmr2, Jul 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  16. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
  17. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Good luck!

(There was a Cosworth edition of this model. I'd bet you could upgrade the suspension to their spec and make the car even better than it already is.)

18. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Thanks but SHUT UP, your making me think about mod's before I even buy the darn car. :D

I grow tiresome of cars about every 2yr's (except Ferrari) and I need more room/space/storage than my Miata offers. I will be able to give a more detailed list of the mod's it already has tomorrow. This particular '05 has 100,999 miles on the OD and the dealer also has a stock '07 w/86K+ for the same price. Actually what I must do now is check the KBB for values, gun's fully loaded for the "bargaining process".

19. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    I have 6,000 miles on my '13 Limited Hatch. Got it in Decemeber.

Already thinking of getting out of it. I work 5 miles from work, and most 'errands' I run are less than 15 minutes away. I love the car for a quick trip out, or as my daily commuter; but I find the car lacking in the highway department. The suspension is very bouncy I think. Plus I miss sitting up high in an SUV.

Like I said, its a great fun car for zipping around town, I just hate taking it for extended car trips. (and that happens a lot). I didn't do any skiing last winter because my gf broke her knee. I bought this primarily as our winter vehicle. I just dont see myself being able to drive the car for 2 hours on the highway comfortably.

20. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    LoL!

Welcome to car fandom . . .

21. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Even after owning and driving nothing but MR2's for almost 22yrs my '02 4Runner sucked in comparison in the comfort category, I had to hit rest stops every 1-2hr's. I have never owned a 4WD vehicle (the 4Runner was FWD until 4WD was activated) and just like the Miata I have wanted a WRX for years.

22. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    What about the Legacy 2.5GT? They are a little bigger, but have all the same qualities (4WD, turbo engine, etc).

There's no STi version, but if memory serves, the standard 2.5GT was quicker than the standard WRX.

23. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    #48 Mule, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Unless you put the STi motor in your Legacy wagon...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Although the Legacy's are nice the WRX wagon is more my cup of tea.

25. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris

Have you looked into the Saabaru? Might be a good deal there...