wrx/sti? | FerrariChat

wrx/sti?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Intheflesh, Jun 7, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    thinking of picking one up as a dd.

i took a wrx for a test drive a few months ago, and i think ive been looking at them every day since. Now my current dd is a cayenne w close to 110K miles. a new cayenne is going to be out of reach for me.

Ive been looking at luxry suvs and wagons: evoque, srx, q5, cts4, etc' but i keep going to look back at the subbies. my girlfriend hates the idea. its not the most luxurious vehicle.

I wouldnt mind taking one on an second test drive. i forget how stiff/comfortable it is, how loud the exhaust can be, etc. we do go on a few camping trips a year (3+hour driving)

i know i dont mind a rough ride, loud exhaust, etc, but this is something i am going to consider when im not the only one in the car.

im babbling at this point, but i was just wondering how many fchatters have one as thier daily driver and to hear some input.

2. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    I’m on my second STI as a daily driver and I’m about to buy another. There’s a lot of cheap plastic in them. They have significant road noise / harsh ride, but I’m accustomed to old Ferraris so it doesn’t bother me. I chose this car for 3 reasons:
    1. With the seats folded down, the hatchback provides good storage for windsurfing gear, dogs, and ski equipment.
    2. We have significant snow in our area and the all-wheel-drive makes life easier. Although the ground clearance on the STI is not very good.
    3. It is the best bang-for-the-buck in this throw-away price range.

STIs have decent resale value. Consider a plain WRX if you want a little better gas mileage and softer ride. If you don’t live in snow or windsurf, buy a BMW.

3. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I'm not an owner but once I am employed again I will be looking into a WRX as a DD. There is a SWEET blue early WRX 4/door in my neighborhood with the best rims ever that set that car off, none of that STi stuff/add-on's.

Great cars yet the only issue I have ever had was the aluminum block which is hp limited.

Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    We do ski and camp. Space Is a concern, but there's nothing a roof rack can't fix lol

Cayenne s was a hell of a car. I got a really good deal on it when I bought it. The new v6 cayennes outperform the old v8s (or t seems on paper at least) but now the v6s base is more than I bought my new S for 6 years ago! Would love to get another one someday, and probably will once I'm a 'family man'

But for now, I think my next dd car will be cheap fast dirty fun.

5. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Cheap, fast, dirty fun certainly describes the STI.
    Camping / sleeping in the back of it might be cramped.
    I stack 3 windsurfing boards on the roof rack and my ski rack doubles to carry masts in summer.
    Get a Thule or Yakama rack instead of the Subaru product for more versatility.
    I also use a different set of wheels with thinner, higher profile studded-snow tires.
    Enjoy!

6. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I have a 2009 WRX. I love it! So much fun. Everyday driving to work even. Sure its not the most luxurious, but even in a foot of snow (blizzaks on) its so much fun. The hatch is pretty spacious too.

7. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    #7 Paul Vincent, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
    I bought a 2008 STI new, and I was quite disappointed in it (mpg, paint quality, maintenance schedule, extended warranty cost, difficulty of obtaining extended warranty prorated refund from Subaru upon selling vehicle, brakes rusting and freezing up after washing and parking vehicle for 24 hours, defective clutch). Plus, it sits too low to really be useful off road. It was peppy, but given that its hp hasn't increased in years, it is no longer deserving of the performance reputation that it once had, and once again, the mpg was terrible for the hp and weight it had (yes, AWD, but certainly not for the extremely poor mpg I got despite my best efforts to improve it - the hyper-mile techniques I employed to get 37 mpg in my MS3 and 48 mpg in my Titanium Focus yielded 21 mpg in the STI.).

8. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    recently sold my 2010 WRX as I had to get shoulder surgery which eliminates stick driving for several months (I bought an Evoque for now)

As soon as I am able I will get a new STI... so much turbo bang for the buck and awd is the bomb in snow country here in Canada.

beev

9. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    You may also consider an Evo :) lots of fun

10. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    transmissions in the sti's ....have seen problems in 2 bought new cars, warranty covered, but not without some arguing with the dealer to do so

11. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I have never driven any WRX or STi but I have driven an Evo VIII and it felt like a kit car (loved it) but did not feel even close to the build quality of say my '92 MR2T. If I was making such a decision I would drive both cars and if possible versions within about a 2-3yr span (subtle changes that make a huge difference and all).

I have never cared for the 'Evinrude' sound of the flat-4 but that is just nitpicking.

12. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    not sure when it's coming out or how powerful it will be, but maybe check out the new Audi A4-based AllRoad.

13. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    #13 kiesan, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a black '08 STi and love it. Bonestock with 35k miles although I did upgrade the rotors to EBC slotted/drilled units and installed Stop Tech pads. It needed brakes when I got it a month ago. I added factory fogs as well.

The best part is not having to slow down in the rain. If its sticking around I was contemplating some other upgrades but for now its enjoy as-is. Woot.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Champboat/Champcar

Champboat/Champcar Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    .......................................I just bought a 2005 Evo that has a AMS racing motor with some other cool stuff , all wheel drive, great big turbo and with locking differentials and triple disc clutch makes for some rough riding but bury the pedal and your transformed into some sort of space shuttle, its alot of fun even with the race car draw backs .

15. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Consider the above stolen, texasmr2. On the plus side, I'll probably get knifed using it on the guy I have in mind so, as always, thing will balance out . . .

16. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I just got a 2005 Saab 9-2X Aero which is a WRX hatch. They are great cars and fairly reliable. The first thing I did was get a Cobb Accessport and flashed to stage 1, the power delivery is much more smooth and refined than the stock tune. Treat it well and it will be a very rewarding car.

17. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    After 100k miles in a Porsche Cayenne, you will never be happy with the interior quality or fit & finish of a WRX or Evo. In that price range I would get a new VW Golf R. It has great performance, AWD, a manual tranny, superior fit & finish as well as a near luxury interior.

18. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    Assembly quality is quite good I reckon, some plastics are bad, and some areas are really poor in terms of finish (naked metal with ugly looking plastics). The sedan has an amazing chassis, the engine a bit too linear given the kick in the a** provided by older STIs.

19. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I considered and drove both.
    Ended up with a depreciated Audi S4 instead.

20. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    ^^^ Sounds like one of my dream cars.

Love that STi, Kie.

21. Champboat/Champcar

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    ........................................................................I think you would like it being i read alot of your posts , i do not think the interior is that bad , it has Recaro seats ,+ i am 160 pounds but the car will easily handle drivers+ passengers over 200 pounds , the rear seat has a center arm rest which is cool , anyway the car is running 30 pounds of boost on 100 octane but i am planning on getting it tuned for E85 . I had a Diablo SV before this car, + it was fast ,This Evo i have now from 0 to 150 would have slaughtered it, but thats where the Lambo comes into play at over 150+, Evos are cool fun cars .

22. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    ^^^^ Bravo to you for having also owned an R32 Skyline.

Was it a GT-R?

Motorex car?

23. Champboat/Champcar

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    ......................................................No Andrew it was a GTS type M , ( rear wheel drive ) brought over in pieces and put together in Pennsylvania and titles as a special construction vehicle , New York would not accept that designation and ordered me to a inspection by the special registrations unit ( NY police ) they found nothing wrong with the car and titled it as a 1992 Custom, I would not advise anybody to buy a GTR or GTS Skyline ( a 90 `s car ) but a STi or WRX or a Evo thats a straight forward purchase with good performance and decent MPG`s that you can drive daily . , i like the sound of the Evo motor personally.

24. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    Update... Ordered a '13 wrx limited hatch in black today. Considering calling them back tomorrow and changing the order to a dark grey metallic.

25. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    #25 SPEEDCORE, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017