Wrinkle finish paints. | FerrariChat

Wrinkle finish paints.

Discussion in '348/355' started by Pangea, Aug 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    #1 Pangea, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Some information on engine wrinkle finish paints and anti scratch finish for engine bays etc. Extract from the 348 workshop manual. Links to the original brand of wrinkle which looks to be available. The silver is particularly interesting for possible use on the plenum chamber. Ive not looked into the UNIVER OP 777 W scratch resistant coating in any depth but it may still be available somewhere. Needs a bit of research.

Wrinkle paint Riloplast 80°C

Riloplast

ECO COLOR ENGINEERING S.R.L. - About us
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I've actually been told (cannot confirm or deny) that Riloplast was not the supplier for the 355 and up. Regardless, it looks like a great product.

That said, try getting it from them shipped to the US - it's a nightmare. They wanted $625.00 to ship me a quart - that's only the shipping cost, not the material cost.

And, their customer service is beyond terrible.

You may have much better luck, Nick, being in the UK.

A few months back, I sourced some other material out of Europe (still expensive) but have not had the change to try it yet.

3. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Sure Dave. I appreciate there may be difficulties here and there with cost and importing. Ive been asked recently about some of the finishes used and was just doing a bit of research. This is what I found along the way. Im sure many won't go this route but I would have liked this info a few years ago. Its better out there than not. I know what its like dealing with Italian companies too. A bloody nightmare. Good luck with the alternative product.

4. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I agree. I went down this road with them twice - started a couple years back. I was trying to discuss with them about having a US distributor. The folks I was emailing with were down right rude. If you are interested, ask them how much to ship to the UK and let me know - that would be a good data point. I forgot to add that they wanted another $125.00 for a wood box to ship in. Total bunch of baloney.

5. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I just looked up my emails - all prices in Euros:

1 Kg of material - 300 Euros
    1 shipping box - 110 Euros
    Shipping - 600-700 Euros

Priceless :)

6. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Yep, researched and found out about their paints during my 348 engine out service. The red wrinkle was quote in at $100/spray can, and that was if you could get it into the states. Plenty of other Ferrari shops have tried to obtain or distribute their stuff with little/no luck. Believe that Rifledriver detailed some of the reasons for why it was an issue, if you care to do some digging... perhaps EPA-related, etc.

For the red and silver, use a VHT wrinkle (red or black), and top-coat with a color match for the oe red or silver. VHT black does a great job, and the factory wrinkle texture can be readily replicated by playing with application temp and coats.

7. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    With regard to Brian's comments, with due respect to him, it can absolutely come thru customs - I've done it with other "hazardous" materials. You need to obtain the MSDS and review the components to the allowable substances.

VHT is a good product but as you mention, for anthing other than black, the colors are not correct. I also believe the wrinkle effect can be better and I prefer the idea of spray from a gun and not a can - many limitations to can spraying.

Now, my point of view is from a professional service providing as close to original as possible. For a DIY guy, VHT is a great solution at a very affordable price.

8. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I would be gun spraying this too with heated booth to produce the effect and cure. I really don't like rattle cans as the product is normally far to thin but it is an option of course. The former will be more durable over time I'm sure. When Im motivated I will ask some questions for delivery to the UK. I would really like the silver to play with next engine out.

9. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Right. I'm not questioning him or you in that regard, and was speculating on perhaps what the rationale may have been. I have no idea on what the specific contents of the paint is versus allowable substances. In any case, it would be a great option to have, to get the actual original-supplier paint onto the parts, but ultimately not a big issue since I can get the same finished oe-appearing results with a little post-wrinkle color matching, which is ultimately what matters to most detail-minded folks that deal in a small set of parts on one or two cars. Of course, there are aspects to a commercial scale and capabilities that changes things.

10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    There are potential issues applying another coating over VHT. Compatibility is one, adhesion is a second, and temperature ratings a third. It's just better to use the proper product. If I was to us VHT, I would just live with the color different - to me that is better than the risk of the issues I just stated.

11. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #11 itsablurr, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    I'd wager that risk is low, but in either case, largely speculative. As mentioned, commercial considerations and capabilities are different.

12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Well, being in the industry providing finishing, I'd wager the risk is high :)

Lat think I want to do is remove a cam cover installed to refinish it ;)

13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I use VHT black and red, and live with the off-color. After a while in the hot engine bay, it looks right anyway.

F1Flaherty likes this.
  14. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Braden uses the vht red according to their many major threads. I guess that what I will be using

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I've done my 95 plug covers in VHT. If I remember, I will shoot a photo of them next to my buddies 458 OEM plenums :)

16. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Again, commercial considerations (and capabilities) are different, and risk purely speculative unless the specific paint manufacturers and technologies are identified. A latent failure over a long period of time? Well, good thing these cars have the service intervals that they do. ;)

I feel like we're going in circles, and this is not an attack on a justification or positioning of a potential commercial venture, but from the standpoint of a DIYer that does it in their home shop with materials reasonably available and desire for quality work with attention to detail.

17. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    You are correct that some of my comments are speculation as I have not applied anything over VHT. But, we use many different materials here, have played with plenty more and I can tell you from experience that if the chemistry does not align, it's game over.

As Mitch alluded to, it's probably a moot point to worry about color given the potential change after heat and the location of the covers. So, for a DIY guy that is not OCD like a few of us here, why top coat the VHT? It's really pointless and regardless of color, filling in the wrinkle with additional coating would alter that effect too.

So, my opinion is use VHT and be done, or find another material (which we have, but have not tested yet).....or spend a billion dollars to get what the OP (Nick) posted ;)

18. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    The only down and dirty way to get this stuff in the USA is go on european vacation and ship a gallon home yourself with your dirty laundry.

I have my own fedex shipper number. When the USA Ferrari sources were gouging I would use an online translator to order parts from Italy. I would tell them just to put the order in a box and the fedex guy would come pick it up so all they had to do what put the stuff in a box. I would be billed directly from fedex. The stuff would come to me in just a couple days and never get delayed in customs. Seems like the stuff looked like I was shipping stuff home and no body bothered it. Once I ordered parts on Wednesday and got my parts from Italy on Thanksgiving Thursday!

19. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    Just a quick question. I have purchased the VHT brand wrinkle paint in black and red. Do they make a silver version ?

20. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I had a local body shop paint the 308's plenum with VHT red & then followed by shooting it with Ferrari red. Though eventually the paint does flake away from the metal plenum, it doesn't separate by hue.

21. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    You would be in big trouble shipping hazardous materials that way. There is a proper method to ship it, follow the rules and it's no big deal.

22. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I think you will struggle to find an acceptable option in silver if its the plenum you are painting. This is why I would like to try the original manufacturers product. Looks bang on to me. It has a greyish tint to it rather than a bright silver. 9006 Ferrari Aluminium in list. Thats my OCD though. Alternative is to overpaint black with silver as mentioned.
    Sometimes perfection comes at a cost.

Wrinkle paint Riloplast 80°C[pp_gal]/2/

23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  24. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Well, this thread got me off my butt to try the material I brought in....

I brought in 2 different reds and I just did a spray out of each - they are baking now. Probably won't post photos until tomorrow...

I also brought in black and silver. I'll try to spray them out later this week.

John - I've been down the road with the Maserati material too. They private label it so I could not get any good information on it.

25. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Yes, but for $60/quart worth a shot. No? Compared to 1000 Euros for the stuff from It.