Wrecked - Body work - Fiberglass - need help | FerrariChat

Wrecked - Body work - Fiberglass - need help

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by tesseract, Mar 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    Little problem this morning - ended up under the rear bumper of a car in front of me. My insurance company says I can choose my repair shop. My car is 308 with 288 rebody, so it's all fiberglass. Frankly, I don't think it's repairable and the whole front clip will need to be replaced, but you still need a good fiberglass repairman to install and paint correctly.

And not to digress, but next time you think playing car-tag and displaying some road rage isn't a problem - think again. The two idiots involved in this BS - including the final move - a pass over double yellow in front of the other car and slamming on his brakes - are responsible for my wreck three cars back. This manly man ran to his car and drove away when I tried to run up to him so he could assume some blame. NC tag "FSU#1ACC". Police won't go after him, but my insurance guys are. And lastly - next time you witness a wreck, especially if you too went off the road to avoid - stick around to see if people are OK or even provide corroborating statements for the police. I can't imagine doing that, but about six people (two of them power braked off the road) did it after this accident - sad.

Anyway - need help for the fiberglass. Thanks.

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Jeff -

I can't believe this. I just saw your car at FCI yesterday, all shined up and looking good. This blows.

I swear I've seen that license plate up here in the Triad. It's very distinctive. Maybe somebody on Fchat could help run the plate? Then again, it's probably easier to run from the police than the insurance company. They'll find him.

Sorry to hear about your crap day. Hang in there, brighter days are around the corner. (And there's a gorgeous 500 mile 328 just WAITING for a new owner at FCI!)

-Daniel

3. 360 Spyder

360 Spyder Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Near the Cows....
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Give me a day on that tag and I'll see who's it is. I'll pm you with the info when I get it.

4. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    Six weeks in the shop, less than 24 hours back in my possession - back to no Fcar. First time in 27 years of driving I've been the causal factor in a wreck. I was not cited for any violation - the officer actually stated that the insurance company would probably be able to help me out with finding this guy. Hopefully they can put him on the hook somehow.

Saw the 328 - gorgeous, but $85K?!?!?!?

5. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    You have a PM.

6. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    JEFF, really sorry for you, i have always liked your car, and you have been so nice in our PM discussions. i wish you were closer as i do alot of composite, fiberglass and aluminum fabrication on aircraft. i wish i could help! best of luck in getting the car fixed, i would love to see some pics, pm me if you like. Michael

7. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    How bad is it? I would assume that a good bodyshop that deals with Corvettes can set you straight. If not there a couple of outfit the provide front clips. PM me. BTW, do you have any pics of your car - pre accident - is it a Carpenter car? Just basic rebody or any engine mods? THX
    Franck

8. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Do you have any pictures of it?

FIberglass isnt that hard to work on but it depends on how bad it was damaged.

Id like to see some pictures and I can give some advice I own corvettes so I know all about fiberglass

9. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Man Jeff that blows!!! I'll certainley keep my eyes peeled up here in Asheville for that plate. Glad to hear you are ok.

Working with fiberglass is touchy for sure, and without a mold to go by it will never be perfect. I tend to agree with you if they will replace it then by all means replace it instead of "fixing" it.

Good Luck!

10. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    Sorry to hear about your trouble Jeff.

He's not exactly close to you, but my Corvette guy is absolutely fabulous with fiberglass and paint. He's done front clip work to my car (Corvette) following a car-dog intersection and it was outstanding. All he does is Corvette body & paint, so he's really a pro. He's done a number of award winning jobs and restorations.

He is a one-man shop (quality control), so he's usually committed a while in advance, but try him. He may know a similar talent closer to you.

Richard Henrikson - Richard's Corvette - 800-842-8044
    Monck's Corner, SC

Tell him Charles Perry sent you.

11. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    Thanks guys. Sympathy is much appreciated. Still looking for the driver. I will not stoop to physical revenge but do have a small plan for him once I can locate his address - I'll share with you when I get to that point. Just want to damage his reputation a bit, no slander, no name calling, just the facts.

Each day I look at it it seems less horrific than when it happened. I'll get some pics this weekend - you will laugh - the damage isn't THAT bad - but I know how it will wind up since the two front fenders and front valance are one piece. The bumper look the brunt of the impact right on the bumper shock thing (it hit square on her left rear wheel - bent her axle) The metal part of my bumper bent badly, saving some damage to the fiberglass. The bonnet won't open and the grille is banged up, but the front spoiler is OK. The fiberglass is probably repairable, but since I'm gonna get hammered by the insureance company, I might as well get it done right and replace the clip.

Monck's Corner? - I was just in Charleston the last five days - went right by it - yeah, too far away though.

12. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    Don't mean to keep adding to my own thread here, but thought I'd update:

Let me preface this by mentioning that I work a fair amount of hours - leave early, home late (yep, I'm at work right now). Weekends are spent at various ballfields, etc. (three boys and an active wife). I don't socialize too much with my neighbors, casual waves is pretty much it - just how I am.

I have a friend that does PI work. Had him check into the license plate.

"Jeff, wanna know where the FSU#1ACC guy lives? Pull out of your driveway, turn right and go down FOUR HOUSES."

That motherfckr drives by my house every day on the way out of the neighborhood. There is exactly one red Ferrari on the street. He knows my car. The wreck happened just outside my neighborhood. He had to frickin know it was me.

As I mentioned, I will not stoop to criminal acts, destruction of property, etc. I am going on a vengeful smear campaign (maybe sounds wussy, but in the long run, far more effective) for him causing this wreck and moreso for running away claiming no blame.

Our in-house attorney discretely gave me some other avenues to make his life hell, without me breaking any laws (technically). I am looking for more. Input please.

13. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

? heck i am hoping you are going to add to your thread..... sheesh you are a pillar of patience my friend , because that guy would be VERY SORRY if it had been my car. more so since he is so close to you. by all legal means availavable i hope you get him!

id love to see some pics of the car also!

14. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    #14 tesseract, May 3, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Jeff, thought about you this weekend at VIR, a 288GTO in track form was making great sounds and time! Check out the pics under the VIR thread.

16. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    #16 tesseract, May 3, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

wish you were closer, i would love to work on it. good luck with the repairs. please keep us updated. surely by now your insurance company has taken care of an estimate?

18. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Oh, man, you didn't tell me that part! Give us an update! :D

Good talking with you today. I'll keep checking this thread for updates.

19. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    dude so sorry about your car !! i know it sucks bad !! the car damage dosnt look all that bad and im sure it can be repaired. keep us updated and good luck !

20. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    Still in getting an estimate - no idea what the final number will be. They called today to tell me they were having trouble locating a front bumper - they found an OEM GTO bumper - $4,000 - HA!!!! I think I'll go with a fiberglass reproduction for about $300.

David - thanks for your time and insight. Hopefully I'll get this straightened out (pun intended) eventually.

21. khughes

khughes Karting

Nov 7, 2003
  22. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    Just got the repair estimate - $10,412.58 - no frame damage - nothing hidden. ouch. Mainly labor dollars, only a few parts.

Anybody want to buy it as-is? :-(

23. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

yea.......... me, ???? but why would you sell it??? i thought the other guy was at fault. wont insurance pay for it ? Pm me the details

will pm you my cell. or i can call you. i have free long distance and i am off until tuesday.

24. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    id be interested as well .

25. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Tesseract, your mail box is full. just wondering how things are going with the car. i am out of the running to purchase as i am persuing a Lambo now. i hope all is well with you and the GTO repairs. Michael