Wrecked 458 Italia on 495 | FerrariChat

Wrecked 458 Italia on 495

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by 355dreamer, Sep 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    On my way home from Katie's coffee, I passed a wrecked 458 on 495 just before the AL bridge. It looked like the car lost control and flipped landing on the center divider on its roof. Didn't look good to say the least.

I hope all occupants are OK.

I suspect pictures will start flooding the Internet anytime now.

2. Desmosedici

Desmosedici Karting
    BANNED

Aug 9, 2009
    What color was it? Could you tell if coupe or spider? Black roof?

3. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Red. Couldn't tell if it was a spider, as it was upside down.

4. datax

datax Karting

Apr 9, 2006
    VA (Washington DC)
    Full Name:
    Ken T
    My friends sent me pictures to my phone. Hope driver and passenger are alright. Yea, car doesn't look good. Couldn't even tell if it was 458 or 430 anymore from the pictures.

5. TonyK

TonyK Karting

Mar 7, 2011
    It's on jalopnik.com

6. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Not a spider, there's a pic of them loading it onto a flatbed in the comments on Jalopnik. What looked to be the owner was standing there watching. Everyone of course assumes he was driving like an idiot, but witnessing what some people do trying to get a look at or picture of a Ferrari when driving, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions.

7. LJG

LJG Rookie

Oct 8, 2010
  8. Scaryfast

Scaryfast Karting

Oct 6, 2011
    Collegeville, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I recently heard that unfortunately the driver and his young son died in this accident. My prayer go out to their family

9. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #9 JoeZaff, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
    Dear G&d, I hope that you are wrong.

What an absolute tragedy. I have no idea what circumstances resulted in the accident, and unlike Jalopnik, I don't assume that merely because it was a Ferrari, the driver was reckless. In any event, regardless of the circumstances, to lose the driver is a tragedy in and of itself, but a young boy as well...

My prayers go out to his family as well, and I hope Jalopnik and others will have the decency to disable the comments on their webpages and modify the story to show respect for the family.

But again, I hope you are wrong. :(

10. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    I keep hearing "rumors" they died or came out fine... let's wait for official word before we help spread unverified info...

11. TonyK

TonyK Karting

Mar 7, 2011
    It looks like the crash was cleaned up pretty quickly. If it was fatal, I would have expected a longer investigation. Ulness they died later I guess.

12. Scaryfast

Scaryfast Karting

Oct 6, 2011
    Collegeville, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott

I completely agree, I hope that Ive heard wrong, and I agree again that Jalopnik will disable the comments, even if they are just injured it's very hard for them.

13. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I believe that when someone dies later from injuries sustained in an accident, that the police will then go back to the scene to do the accident reconstruction. If they die at the scene, they do the accident reconstruction investigation immediately.

14. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    No one died. There was no passenger. The driver was not transported to the hospital and was fine. He tried to change lanes to quickly after exiting Rt193 and struck a "water" tank barrier, went air-born, flipped 2 or 3x and landed on the median divider.

This is from my buddies in the department on the scene of the accident.

15. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    And this is why rumors suck...

16. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Thanks Robert for the clarification. Glad to hear that everyone's ok.

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Still sad that he was involved in a crash and injured in some way. That car is certainly totalled.

18. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    AWESOME NEWS!!!!!!

Thanks so much for posting this.

19. FUNRARI

FUNRARI Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2008
    Washington D.C.
    Full Name:
    Z
    That is a miracle, phewww, glad to hear that.

20. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    Its funny how rumors can get started. I had heard up at the church of the holy donut that someone had spoken with a 348 owner and he saw it all happen and the father and young son were killed.

It's heartening that this wasn't the case but the info seemed credible at the time. Just goes to show you that you just never know when or where the precise truth lies.

Again, thankful that the owner was mobile after the accident. Its just a thing, a very broken thing, but a thing, replaceable. We all have to be careful out there, we are just one decision, act of fate, bad timing away from a fateful occurrence.

Just the other day I made a lane change at the same time as another car and then traffic came to a halt. I missed hitting that car by 1/2 an inch. At the end of the day, what would a successful lane change really have accomplished? I wouldn't really get home any faster... That decision to jump a lane could have cost me a pretty penny. Our Italia owner made one acceleration decision that could have cost him quite dearly from a breathing standpoint.

In the imortal words of the Hill Street Blues roll call "Let's be careful out there"

regards

ken

21. RealMCR12

RealMCR12 Karting

May 24, 2011
    Maryland
    I'm glad the owner made it. It is a miracle he survived this wrecked. When I drove by the accident, i was sure no one could have survived that, so when I started hearing rumors that he had passed away along his son, my day did a 360 and it made me realize how fast life can change. But then, someone told me that he was alive and well and was standing next to his ferrari in the crash site. So I decided find out more about it, later learned that it was actually him standing next to his crashed ferrari. He was online in 6speed forum on saturday afternoon. surprised he didn't post anything. but all that matters it that no lives were lost.

22. JROD9496

JROD9496 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Jared
    That's is absolutely great to hear. Glad the driver made it out okay. At least it's just a car to replace and not someone's life.

23. Scaryfast

Scaryfast Karting

Oct 6, 2011
    Collegeville, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This is such great news, although sad the 458 can be replaced, you only get one chance with life

24. AlxSTi

AlxSTi Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2011
    Wilmington, DE
    I am glad the Ferrari driver and passenger are alive as well.. EQUALLY as much so for the 10 million other non-exotic and nonfatal collisions that happen in this country yearly (~40k are fatal).

25. Transhuman

Transhuman Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    Cloverly
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I heard the same thing that day from the 348 driver. I think the lesson to be learned here is for our small community not to fall prey to the same behavior we have grown to despise from our media which is to run with a story based on marginal credibility and unsubstantiated facts.

It serves no benefit to spread rumors about events that could have been potentially tragic.

...off soapbox now.