WOW!!!!!! | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Dowling

John Dowling Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    John Dowling
    I saw that. But, according to the story, they would be excluded from the Constructor Championship, only. To me that represents a slap on the wrist. I don't think many really care or follow who wins the Constructors title, do they?

So, if the drivers are permitted to keep their points and compete after McLaren knowingly and willingly were in possession of Ferrari documents (and no doubt their cars and drivers benefited in some way) isn't this logic directly opposed? The drivers and car can benefit from industrial espionage, but the team can not?

It makes no sense?

2. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    looks like the exact type of punishment is still up in the air now. As you suggested aren't both drivers part of the team? If the team is thrown out then it would make sense for them to go as well..... I am a Ferrari fan but don't want to see them handed the championship...

3. John Dowling

Oct 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    John Dowling
    Even though I root for Ferrari, too, (honest) competition and rivalry is great for the sport. And I was enjoying the Hamilton/Alonso story, too.

Without McLaren, F1 woud not be too exciting. I guess we'll see Heidfeld on the #2 step a lot more.

4. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Don't want to see them win this way??? What!! I dont want to see them lose this way, at the hands of cheaters!!!!!!!!! How can anyone think that MacCheaters won anything!!!!! This is the kind of crap that ruins everything, baseball, football, its sad!
    Yea, to allow the drivers to keep their points is silly, they directly benifited from this and may have known!

Robert

5. John Dowling

Oct 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    John Dowling
    The punishment is in... 2007 disqualification from constructors championship but drivers keep their points and can still compete and $100 Million fine. They could never disqualify them for next year... it would ruin the sport.

The reason the drivers can keep their points is because "they were given immunity" for their tesimony. This is a HUGE stretch!! I guess "immunity" means driving a car that benefited from Ferrari data, too. But, McClaren are arguing they did not incorporate any Ferrari data into current or future cars.