Wow I'm Totally Shocked My 458 vs Huracan | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Wow I'm Totally Shocked My 458 vs Huracan

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ferrari Now & Forever, Dec 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    #51 REALZEUS, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    No, that was not the point. He specifically said that one wouldn't be able to notice any difference if he were to drive these cars blindfolded. The difference exists even in slow moving traffic though. BTW you don't need to track a car (no matter how much fun that is) in order to enjoy a spirited drive. All you need really is any stretch of empty road.

2. fredhassen

fredhassen Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Fred Hassen

Even I could notice the difference between a $20,000 racing bike and a beach cruiser if I were blindfolded. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That was an exaggeration implying that without stressing the dynamics, they all drive the way.

Blindfolded and with loud music, what could you honestly tell me about the car sitting in the passenger seat if I was just running errands? You couldn't tell anything about the car because staying well within the limits means they are capable of the same thing. You could say it feels rougher, but then again, no two roads are alike. A Rolls Royce on a mortared road will feel worse than a Speciale in track mode on a perfectly smooth one. Changes direction differently? How do you know that's not just related to how quickly or how much they're turning the wheel? Grip feels better/worse. How do you know without putting them on the same tires?

A Speciale slaloms at 43mph and a Huracan does it at 45mph. What can you really tell me about the cars if you slalom at 35mph? It won't tax them even remotely. Same goes on the vast majority of normal roads.

I could go on, but you get my point. In the vast majority of driving, you cannot make a conclusion about the dynamics because they can all be compensated for by adjusting how you drive or the tires or the road conditions. This is why it's so dumb when people talk about Huracan understeer. The car does not understeeer in normal, typical driving.

As I said, we can we a Huracan drifting like crazy, so it's clearly capable of a hell of a lot more than what a normal road will offer.

4. fredhassen

Apr 18, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Fred Hassen

Yeah but the passenger if he wasn't blindfolded could at least say:

"WOW, I'm driving in a Ferrari and look at that cool steering wheel with the lights!!" :)

5. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Noone 1 is factually correct but inaccurate. Often true in life and cause of much grief.

Fact: We drive at or close to speed limits "most of the time"

Accurate: A high horsepower exotic affords us the chance and choice, whenever the opportunity presents itself, to do all kinds of things, one does not associate with driving a Kia.

Best

6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I don't agree Fred. The 458 is so stunning and noisy at legal speeds, just cruising, that it's a remarkable joy every time. Again, at posted speeds and less! Part of what makes it a better all around exotic than a 488 or Mc650s.

7. fredhassen

Apr 18, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Fred Hassen

"Hmmmm, should I buy a Ferrari or should I buy a Kia.....decisions, decisions!!" :)

8. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    If your counterargument to the OP is sound, then I respectfully disagree. Again, OPs choice in words may be harsh, but you don't need twisty country roads to sense that the LP610-4 aka an AWD, Audi Quattro-based super car handles much differently than a 458. If you've driven both, you'll know that the 458 steering is extremely sharp and under any type of load, it rarely understeers. The LP580-2 feels a little bit closer to the "handling wired directly to your brain" type feel of the 458.

If you're talking about the whole driving experience, the 458 will "will blow the doors off a 458 on any road or track," as you so eloquently put it.

9. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    But I'm not talking about the chance and choice of a Kia vs a 458, I'm talking about a huracan vs 458, and in that case we objectively know the huracan is superior anyway regardless.

10. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    I guess your thoughts are right.

I do not need a race track visit to recognize the differences regarding the response of an engine, its power deployment, a chassis adjustment, the steering behavior, braking behavior etc. of any car. I can say very quickly where the differences are and whether I like the specific driving behavior or not. But to draw conclusions from this which car ultimately provides the best performance driven at the limit on a track is simply not permissible.

For example: a direct steering response does not mean that a car also allows higher cornering speeds than another. A fast response of a brake does not guarantee a higher braking performance. A well-tuned street car generates very early high emotions, but it does not guarantee best times on the race track.

This is why I love my Scuderia, driven in normal traffic conditions I feel to be much faster than in my McLaren.
    Why do I love the McLaren? Because this car is much faster than my Scuderia, and this in a very cool and effortless manner.

I think the same applies to the comparison between the 458 and the Huracan. A 458 is certainly not faster than a Huracan, but this car succeeds in giving this impression.

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Well, you keep moving the goalposts. Your original stipulation and the one I replied to was that a driver couldn't tell the difference between cars if he were to be blindfolded. That's one thing; being a passenger is another thing altogether, as that removes the interraction with the car's controls. I was clearly asnwering to the former statement and I stick by what I wrote. A driver can clearly feel the differences between cars by their controls and the way that the machine responds to the inputs and the feedback it returns. Not only are these differences noticeable, they are what make one car fun and another dull to drive, even at lower speeds. Don't tell me that you cannot understand a difference in steering feel and throttle responsiveness, for example, between two cars even in city driving...

12. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    He stated it drives like a truck and a piece of junk, which isn't true at all. The huracan drives however you want it to on normal roads. The only reason it feels different is because he wants to believe so.

The limits of the cars are too high and performance to comparable to say which drives worse.

I tested took out a 458 when picking up my 12c last time it was in for service. The only difference was the sound and acceleration. They drove around the neighborhood the same. Same thing happened when I tested the 570s. Totally different suspension but felt exactly the same.

Without pushing the limits, the cars can do exactly the same thing and feel exactly the same so long as you try to make it happen. Put a line on the ground and each case will follow it.

13. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I was addressing your "premise", i.e. no one really "drives" the car (regardless of marque). As I said you are correct regards daily drives and miss the point that, it is the "availability" of power that is seductive, regardless of how often used.

Some like Kia's others Bugatti's. I have the ability to choose and after the fact sheets are printed, and we all have the data, each of us makes a decision based upon our "feelings". Hard to criticize someones feelings. No such thing as objectivity!! Best

14. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I am not saying that the Huracan is bad, I am saying that it is different.

Regarding the 458 vs 12C, are you saying that the steering felt the same and was as quick, the throttle was just as responsive, the engine built up power in the same manner, the brakes had the same modulation and so forth? Please tell me that's not the case...

15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    #65 dustman, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    Owner of 458 Italia, Speciale, 650s and spent time in the 918 recently.

All drive, sound, feel different. From the moment you get in, regaredles of blindfolds silliness, city, highway, or 10mph. This is a fact...at least to me as a car lover.

Non car lovers probably think they are similar.

Note...have 488 spider on order but hoping for an f12M. Now that would be different!

16. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I think noone1's point was the OP is way off base bashing the Huracan saying it "drives like a PIECE OF JUNK!!!!!!"

To noone1's point - it real world off track situations it's very difficult to conclude how the Huracan truly compares to the 458. One can have a preference, but ultimately this type of statement is absurd and everyone here knows it. re

Can you see, feel, hear, have a different experience in car at legal speeds. Of course. Can you evaluate the limit and true technical capabilities at legal speeds? Of course not. Cars are different, as they should be. That's the great thing about having variety. Why do people drive classic cars? Because of their performance? No, it's the experience, the way the car makes you feel, the way you feel in the car, they way the car drives... that feeling. Not of it is for hitting some performance metric.

I wouldn't want the Lamborghini to feel remotely the same as a Ferrari. What would you want that? It's a different car designed for a different experience. You may not prefer or even like that experience, but to flat out and say it drives like a piece of junk is wrong. It's not a piece of junk, not even close. If Ferrari is all you like, then drive that. I personally prefer dustman's approach and appreciate each brand for what they are and enjoy the differences between them.

17. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Hit the nail on the head. noone1 is likely just not as much of a gearhead or car enthusiast/lover. I made the assumption that those on this forum are all enthusiasts, but this makes total sense why someone would drive a Huracan, 458, and 12C and walk away saying they all feel the same. They are all different, just like people are all different.

OP stated one opinion. noone1 continues to try to rebut those opinions by comparing them to factual statistics as well as reinforcing the believe that all cars feel the same in normal conditions.

For the record, there are incredible mountain roads and coastal roads that are less than 5-10 minutes from home for me. Maybe it's my perspective that's skewed ;)

18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I just don't got home from one of the last drives I'll get this year in my i8. Looks like winter is going to arrive Pittsburgh this week. I could definitely tell the difference between the 458 and i8 if you blindfolded me.

19. GiveMeSomethingICanUse

Jan 26, 2016
    As a previous owner of a Gallardo and future owner of either the Aventador or an lp640 I can say that I did not mean it in a disrespectful way. The lambos appeal to the masculine side of people moreso than ferraris. They are rude and over the top. Alpha male with no depth or sensitivity. Loud and belligerent seems about right to me.

20. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm a total enthusiast, I just don't pretend that getting lunch in two different exotics is like swimming vs flying, and like most people with exotics, I live mainly in the downtown or somewhat suburban/residential areas. I'm going 35 miles per hour on a straight road. Maybe I'm going 45 with on a slightly curvy road. Hell, maybe I'm just browsing spotify while I leave it in automatic mode or talking on the phone. I use an exotic just as a would any car. I'm not disillusioned with exotics because I use them for what they are -- modes of transportation that just happen to look cool.

What exactly are you guys doing that makes so much of a difference in normal usage? Redlining the car from stop sign to stop sign, driving around in 1st gear so you can slide around a small corner?

21. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Sounds like you purchased an exotic car to use "just as you would any car." Not everyone fits into the same exact lifestyle that you live. My mindset and approach to cars and driving is totally different than yours.

Not every road around the world is a downtown Los Angeles road. And not everyone here drives their car in traffic (nor is faced with it, for that matter).

22. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hold the wheel straight and cruise at 75mph on the highway. What's the difference in dynamics between a 918 and a Speciale? How about while you're making a 25mph turn on a side street?

There is a reason Ferrari, McLaren, and Porsche or whoever don't do their press test drive events in city or suburbs. They bring people to tracks or nice rural areas. There's a reason clubs organize drives that try to find scenic routes and back roads. There's a reason people love the Dragon thing in the US. It's because no, the cars are not really anything terribly unique on the highway or in the suburbs.

23. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well, I'm just looking at probability and demographics here. I know where in the world I see the most exotics, and it's not really in driver's heaven.

24. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    In the world according to noone1 [pun intended], exotic car ownership is boring, all exotic cars are the same numb, dull driving experience in stop and go Los Angeles-like traffic, and the average person buying an exotic couldn't tell the difference between an modern Italian NA V8 and a modern British turbo V8.

You win I guess.

25. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #75 noone1, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    When did I say anything about the engines? I was talking about the chassis and the dynamics of the car, not throttle response or torque.

But yes, exotics have become boring and dull in many respects due to how obscenely fast and capable they are. Most driving conditions and roads means you can barely touch the throttle unless you're fine with going 2-3x the speed limit within a couple second. There is no shifting, the car does everything for you if you leave TC/ESP on. Car is better performance in automatic mode. 0-100 mph is like 5s. All of this goes to waste (except auto mode) in the real world, assuming you like to use the car regularly.

All I care about now is design. Nothing really does anything significantly better anymore. Returns are diminishing and of little use. The next thing I want from exotics is a full EV that is as silent as possible.