Wow I'm Totally Shocked My 458 vs Huracan | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Wow I'm Totally Shocked My 458 vs Huracan

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ferrari Now & Forever, Dec 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    I went from a California to a 458 Spider to a Huracan LP610-4 to a new GT3 while I wait for my Huracan RWD Spyder. I thought the Huracan was a good DD and technologically superior to the 458. I preferred the driver-centric cockpit of the H. I did not have the Dynamic Steering option which I've read many complaints regarding. There was quite a bit of plastic in the interior but the Sports Exhaust option sounded good although synthetic sounding compared to the 458. The H DCT is comparable to the 458 DCT, fast shifting with no jerks like the old E-gear transmission.

I missed the RWD which is why I am driving the 991 GT3 (also a great daily driver) and ordering the H RWD Spyder. I have never been a fan of convertible soft-tops but I think the H RWD Spyder looks fine with the top up and sexy with the top down.

I did pass on my 488 Spyder allocation to get the H RWD Spyder which has a tastefully specced MSRP $50K USD cheaper than the 488 Spyder and $35K cheaper than an LP610-4 Spyder. YMMV.

Ivinsea likes this.
  2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Look forward to hearing your impressions.

3. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
  4. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    OP, I'm pretty sure you just don't have enough experience to know what you're talking about.

Drives like a piece of junk? If you weren't on a track giving it 9/10s, how could you come to any conclusion about the dynamics? I highly doubt you were going fast enough on a normal road to feel the understeer of AWD.

Does the 458 sound better than the Huracan? Maybe. Is it better in any objective way? Not at all.

458, Huracan, 650S, Aventador, R8, 911 Turbo, GT3 -- they all drive the same 99% of the time on normal roads. If I blind folded you and went to run some errands, you'd never even know which you were in.

5. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That is ridiculous.

They are all amazing machines in their own right, but the difference in spirit and soul is VERY significant, not subtle. I wouldn't (and didn't) go so far as to say the Huracan sounds bad, just different. But it is basically a machine designed to go crazy fast luxuriously and safely. It's a blast to drive on the track...they all are. The soul and emotion of the ferraris are simply on another level.

Nicky_Santoro likes this.
  6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Your avi name is great. I don't think I've ever seen you post before.

7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Try me...I'll prove this statement wrong. As will most people on this board and Rennlist etc.

Kidding me with that...omfg.

8. humdizzle

humdizzle Karting

Mar 9, 2016
    i'm pretty sure you can adjust how hard the car shifts within the settings. Do you drive the cars in auto mode? ive found most cars dct 'automatic' software logic to be pretty dumb. so i use paddles 100% of the time. The car is going to be more refined than the italia.. its newer. so there is less 'drama' coming inside the cabin.

not sure what the what you are talking about with low speed turning? awd cars tend to have a worse turning radius because of the hardware going to the front wheels taking up space.

9. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    #34 saraojo, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    Yes, you know exactly what I was saying in the forums a while ago. It sounds like a loud sewing machine at low rpms.

10. 4respy

4respy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2014
    los angeles
    Full Name:
    steve
    Lamborghinis or should I say Audighini suck since being taken over by Audi..There are very few Lamborghinis even worth buying..I had a Diablo SE30 one of the ones worth buying!..I do not see what people see in these cars!

11. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    I think the Lamborghini exterior design is more aggressive and eye catching than Ferrari. That's why people choose lambo over Ferrari.

12. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I choose Ferrari over anything (including Lamborghini, or Audighini as The Mayor puts it), but I reckon in terms of design, Ferraris are generally poised (V12) and exhale racing spirit (V8) while Lamborghinis are full blown radical design exercises first and foremost. Two very spectacular but also very different design philosophies: the Ferrari (catch me if you can!) and the Lambo (look at me!).

That's not the only reason sometimes customers prefer Lamborghini over Ferrari. Don't forget Ferrari's Customer Care and Aftersales can enrage a buddhist monk.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

MacDemarco likes this.
  13. GiveMeSomethingICanUse

Jan 26, 2016
    Lambos never sounded as great as they could without an aftermarket exhaust. The gallardo was an awful sounding car with the stock setup. The Huracan is no exception. While obviously the Lowe's drill comment was an exaggeration I get where it's coming from. Its sound leaves a lot to be desired. Someone called it a synthetic sound which is probably the most accurate description I've heard of it. It doesn't have the finesse, sophistication and complexity of the 458, which sings to you with such passion and vivacity that it's impossible not to fall in love. The Huracan sounds like you expect it to. I'm loud, I'm belligerent. I'm unsophisticated. I eat little pansy ferraris for breakfast. The Bull image fits perfectly. It's still a great car, particularly for men who are trying to compensate for certain things.

14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    ....or for people wanting different experiences.

Nice u can mock other supercar owners.

We should be championing and celebrating our car passion and diversity with our brotherhood.

Ash Patel likes this.
  15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    YES ! Indeed :D

16. 0-60 freak

0-60 freak Karting

Oct 6, 2016
    #41 0-60 freak, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Haters gonna Hate! My 13' 458 sounded like a 4cyl at idol, decent at 4k rpm's when valves open....We shall see on my 488gtb....already ordered the fabspeed x pipe to eliminate the valves anticipating a similar issue
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. 0-60 freak

0-60 freak Karting

Oct 6, 2016
    #42 0-60 freak, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #43 noone1, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    So you're telling me you notice a different in dynamics while cruising at 70 mph on the highway? How about driving down a side street at 30mph?

Unless you're pushing the limits, the vehicle dynamics are no different. I was driving next to a 911 turbo the other day. Guess what? We were just driving straight down the highway. That's it. I was driving behind an AM in my McLaren a couple weeks ago. 35mph speed limit, suburbs. Guess what? Nothing related to vehicle dynamics even presented an opportunity.

People forget that 95% of their mileage is in the real world, not gran Turismo or cruising USA. They don't drift, they don't understeer, they don't use side slip control.

Ever notice how every even remotely high mileage car says "highway miles" when they try to sell it? It's because that's what most miles are and that's what people do.

When you see a 7k mile Ferrari, do you think they have 6k miles on high speed back roads? Not likely. 99% of the miles are on straight roads or highways, with low speed limits and traffic.

Car dynamics are meaningless to actual usage. People act like they live in a racetrack when they mainly just use it like a Honda accord.

In 15 years of driving, all over the world, I've never seen an exotic do anything remotely dynamic. The vast majority just go straight and around the speed limit. Never once seen an exotic kick the tail out, never once saw one going fast enough to oversteer.

Most exotics are driven like Hondas in real world typical usage.

19. fredhassen

fredhassen Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Fred Hassen

Quit talking about me behind my back. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree and disagree with this simultaneously. I see the validity in your point nonetheless.

21. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    While your statements may be true for some people, not everyone's driving experiences will be the same as yours.

However, those that are affected by the meaninglessness of daily driving as you describe, tend to prescribe to the idea of purchasing a daily driver focused on either A to B driving comfort or straight-line speed + utility.

That's probably more a product of your lifestyle including where you live or tend to go, what hours you are on the road, and those living around you. Also, I'm not sure of your point regarding "real world typical usage." Isn't that different for each individual here? I don't know if 15 years of your personal experience could adequately prepare you to describe how owners here may or may not use their cars.

That said, I could probably tell you the difference between a factory 458, Huracan, 911 Turbo, Aventador, GT3, and R8 just by hearing you turn on the vehicle, the sound of it as it accelerates, the feeling of it shifting, by the seating posture and ride quality as it goes down the road, etc. You, personally, may not notice or care about those things, but I sure do.

The objective figures to compare cars is not what I read to be the point of the thread. While the verbiage used to describe the dislike for the Huracan may have been a little harsh, I think message isn't far off base. I went through a similar experience while choosing a new car. When I looked at the Huracan, I thought it was beautiful, extremely fast, and had a commanding presence among other cars. But there are no objective stats that could describe the lack of excitement I felt in person, standing next to the car after driving it.

As some have pointed out, it's not just about the objective figures of merit that drive decisions between super cars. And to me, that's what makes Ferraris a little more special.

22. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #47 noone1, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    I think my assessment is fair, logical, and indicative to most driving. Not everyone, but most. Just look at the demographics, geography, mileage, and typical life style.

How many miles can you really put on a car on windy back roads that stress the handling dynamics of a car? Roads just aren't built like that. The roads that allow that kind of driving just aren't that long. You'll put vastly more miles on your car getting to those roads than you will driving on those roads. It's just the reality of modern infrastructure. No one is paving race tracks for getting from A to B.

Then factor in things like traffic, speed limits, safety, and you end up not even being able to push the car very hard.

Also consider where these roads are, where most people live and why they live there. I love the back roads and countryside, but I can count on my hand how many times I've seen an exotic on them. On the contrary, I can drive down to the wealthy suburbs see Lamborghinis and Ferraris on any given day. And honestly, it would probably take you 30-60 miles just to find a nice back road from there, and you definitely wouldn't be driving in the direction of any place you actually needed or wanted to go. It's not a coincidence that when I am in fact on these back roads in the middle of nowhere that people look at the car like it's from outer space. It's because exotics rarely come out that way.

There's really just no way to put significant mileage on the car that highlights the dynamics relative to overall usage. 15 miles of non-stop curves and fun is less mileage that you will running a few errands and getting lunch.

To the other point, I'm not addressing the subjective. There's no point arguing which sounds better or anything like that. What I'm addressing is that it absolutely doesn't drive like a truck or drives like a piece of junk. The Huracan will blow the doors off a 458 on any road or track.

The Huracan can do the following, so unless the OP is attacking public roads in a more extreme fashion than this, he has no idea what he's talking about and I maintain he isn't capable whatsoever of making an claim about the dynamics of the Huracan. He most likely isn't a good enough driver nor do most roads really even allow you to test something like this:

http://i.imgur.com/bMLqGTM.gifv

The Huracan doesn't drive like a truck; the OP drives like he's driving a truck. Last time I experienced something such as truck-like understeer in an Lamborghini (it was an R8 actually), I was on Toyo R888s in the snow.

23. clar

clar Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2013
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clarence
    Not sure if one needs to put serious miles or speed to enjoy a car. The moment i turn a wheel regardless of speed, I get a very intimate feel of how the car responds to my input and how the chassis along with the suspension, transmit the road condition back to my butt. Feel is what makes a Ferrari great and you get it at any speed and road condition. I am not too concern with ultimate grip level or acceleration numbers.

24. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK

I am really surprised to read this from a petrolhead. An above average driver can discern differences between vehicles even at low speeds. The heft, precision and communication from the steering, the throttle and brake response and modulation, the linearity, power delivery, sound and responsiveness of the engine, the poise and body control of the suspension, the nimbleness and eagerness of the chassis, the swiftness of an automatic/semi auto gearbox or the slickness of the lever action of a manual are things that differentiate vehicles and can be felt within a few miles, even at moderate speeds.

25. fredhassen

fredhassen Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Fred Hassen

I don't think that is his point.

It would be the same as buying a $20,000 racing bicycle but then putting all the miles on it riding with the beach cruisers on the board walk who are right there keeping up with you.

Yes, anybody would be able to notice that it's geared differently, and the brakes are better and the ride is different........but you get the point I think.

If you don't track your car every day, then we basically have a Ferrari as the beach cruiser because that's the way the roads, miles and laws are designed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivinsea likes this.