Wow - American cars got their mojo back! | FerrariChat

Wow - American cars got their mojo back!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Jeff328, Dec 6, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    I have to say, I haven't been at all interested in anything from an American automaker since I bought a Ford Ranger for utilitarian purposes back in 1998.

A few weeks ago we went on a hunt for a new SUV type of vehicle. After looking at so many vehicles I can't even remember them all, we bought a new 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4. It simply blew the competition out of the water. When we started shopping I was virtually certain I would get a BMW X5, since we already have an E39 5-series and an E92 3-series that we really like. But the BMW simply didn't measure up in comparison with the Jeep, and was $10,000+ more expensive. I was shocked how flabby the X5 drove, and how the Jeep drove the way I expected the BMW to. I have also been surprised by the Jeep after having people come up to me at the gas station to tell me how much they like the way it looks. Never had that happen with a truck before.

And now with the new Corvette coming on line and the just-released photos of the new Mustang, along with a bunch of other interesting Ford and GM cars the American manufacturers may be poised for a renaissance. One thing for sure is that for the first time in a long time there are more than a couple cars on the market that are good enough to make me want to part with a bunch of cash.

2. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Glad to hear it but you are just late to the party. American cars have been world class for many years. They unfortunately dug a hole so deep esp. in the 80s that people just won't consider them anymore. That is slowly changing.

3. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    K car ruined it for everyone in the 80's.

4. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I think you nailed it. VERY hard to forgive that one.

5. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Saved Chrysler, especially when you include the minivan which are siblings under the skin.

This was at a time of huge transition, when American buyers were still loyal to domestics. K car fulfilled a market need.

Otoh, continued quality increases from foreign marques combined with domestics burying their heads was the double whammy that killed them.

I agree with the OP, enough that my last two purchases have been domestic brands.

Best,
    Rob

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Speak for yourself - I drag raced my parents' Aries K WAGON back in the day.

You want to pick up chicks as a 20 year old? Get yourself a white Dodge Aries K wagon with a red interior. Make sure it has the 2.2L engine that squeals like a stuck pig at a Van Halen convert while warming it up.

You no haz Aries? Then you ain't lived. WAR K Car!!!

7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    +1

8. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Detroit always had mojo when it came to trucks and performance cars even in the bleak years. Its good to see their mainstream product portfolio meet or exceed that of the import brands'. Btw, my first car was a "coachwork speciale" K car based Plymouth TC3. Didn't Chrysler buy the rights of the Porsche 924 engine for the Omni/K cars?

9. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Where the Big Three have only recently got with the times is on interiors. They appear to have finally discovered that people actually want to be in a nice place for the two hours per day they spend in the car, and being $2000 cheaper than the competition means cutting corners that were usually cut from the interior. Many buyers paid the extra for Japanese or European vehicles because of the tactile feel of the interior switches or dash, as well as seats that didn't look and feel like they were from 1985.

Just a few years ago even their "luxury" cars were complete velour hell inside.

10. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Imho this transition has taken half a generation, the cars that really got my attention, signaling that the Giants had awakened, were the Cadillac CTS and more so the Chrysler LX platform 300 and Magnum. Perfect, no, but such a major departure from the Cadillac DTS and the previous Chrysler "cab forward" Fwd 300.

Best,
    Rob

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

11. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    You may be right, I may be a little late to the party. We buy a new vehicle maybe once a decade. But GM in my opinion is just now coming up to par from a style and design point of view. Ford has had some good looking cars for a few years now, but GM always looked like an exercise in cost-cutting and half-assing it, especially with their interiors. Chrysler is wildly inconsistent. They still have some vehicles that make me wonder if they get it, especially since they have a few car and truck models that are really good.

We've had our Jeep for only a few days, but I did a thorough detailing on it yesterday to give it an in-depth inspection. I have to say I am extremely impressed with the build quality. The upholstery and paint are miles better than on my 2007 BMW.

12. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Tip of the iceberg. How about Mustang II, Pinto, Pacer, Cutlass, and so much more. When was the last time you saw a restored 80s domestic car at a car show, except for maybe a Corvette or Firebird, and doubtful for even those.

For the last 10 years the domestics have had the measure of the imports and at present many are better.

13. GoonOnFire

GoonOnFire Karting

Feb 6, 2012
    Little off topic, but I remember being at the car wash and seeing this one guy watch as the workers carefully cleaned his BMW when it came out of the tunnel. It was the only really nice car on the lot, so I'm assuming he figured everyone was staring at it. As bad I felt for him, I couldn't stop laughing at what happened next.

You hear this "HSSSSSSSS", SCREAMING hissing sound, coming out of the tunnel. This supercharged jeep SRT8 had the loudest cam and idle I've ever heard. People were just in awe at this monster. The guy in the BMW quickly scurried away, LOL.

14. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    The Minivan (Caravan) saved Chrysler, not the K car. And only for a few years. Any Japanese import were better, much better, and even some cheap European imports. The Japanese cleaned up during the 80's, muscling out the domestics for the family car crown.

@Kverges.

Buick Grand National and GNX.

Both of these cars are appreciating.

15. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Gotta love the turbo Buicks! Remember the tv spot with the GN on track against a red 328 or TR, Countach and Porsche 928? Dunno if it included an Espirit or not.

16. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Ah, I stand corrected. But the 80s were really a dark time for the shrinking 3

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I still dont get ford though. The eplorer my folks rented sucked. It had a really thin slimey cheap feeling wheel, the motor was rough and maybe it was ok going slow around the suburbs. On the Gm front the caddy esaclade I rented was dynamicaly so poor that i wondered how I could buy any vehicle from a company that turned out such a turd. Gm haptic controls suck, followed closely by My touch. A assume its cheaper to build a crappy screen than put knobs for basic controls, it sucks and is a deal breaker. teh old detroit still lives on in its incompetance, just muted.

Yeah the domestics Also have some great stuff, but they still produce too large a percentage of turds, and there is no excuse for it other than an inbuilt market and cost cutting.

That all being said I bought a chevy equinox because after trying everythig remotly in the class it was by far the best choice in terms of build interior size quality etc, letdown only by a crappy tranny, but you cant have it all.

I can also say that my local chevy dealer is a an absolute pleasure to deal with, and the work is competantly performed. Contrast this witht he local mercedes delaer, who has nice lobby, but cant competatntly even balance wheels let alone do a brake job. It seems mercedes are Ok if you lease and dump at 40k miles because forget about a dealer keeping the car running right, and the parts are prohibitive.

There isa lot to be said for buying domestic these days. Some of their proiducts are great, and the dealers seem to be where the foreign delaers were, while domestics proiduce betetr products each year the germans go deeper into building down.

I can also say the challenger with v8 is one of the most fun cars you can buy. Kinda like the old personal coupe concept(ltd Eldo etc) but with handling power braking and build, its in a class all by itself and great. The Chrysler 300 is good if a little ong in tooth and the new caddy sedans seem competitive or will be with betetr powerplants(cant have it all) Meanwile if the new ML were built by a dmestic you would have a long rant from me about how crappy domestics are.(like vibratey motor, cheap swtchgear and steering so bad its beyond comprehension how it passed)

As long as domestics stick tot he matra of tryign harder and trying to make genuinely good prodyct they will improve, as soon as the follow the ltest german thinking of building down to market all is lost.

18. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I know I'm late on hearing about the upcoming Chevy SS.

Just heard; rear wheel drive, V8, etc.

I thought, "great, they're probably using the Cadillac RWD platform".

But, no...

It's the same old GM Australian Holden Monaro, 05 Pontiac GTO then Pontiac G8 platform. Not that that is a bad thing, but I was hoping for more modern underpinnings.

Hopefully it will sell better than the Pontiac versions. We don't have Pontiac to kick around anymore. :)