would u buy this car? | FerrariChat

would u buy this car?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by FerrariFabio81, Aug 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFabio81

FerrariFabio81 Karting

May 24, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Fabio Secaira
    I just crashed my 2000 TL yesterday and was browsing around some dealership's inventory in my area and came across a 2001 530i with the Sport Package, really nice, good price, but high miles, 92k to be exact. I still have to go see and drive the car to make a better informed decision, but, what are the risks of having a high mileage BMW?

Are the maintenance costs high? Any information and advise provided by current and former Bimmer owners will be highly appreciated!!!

Fabio

2. exotics4fun

exotics4fun Karting

May 13, 2005
    Those are nice cars but unless it's a really, really good deal i'd look for one with lower mileage since plenty are built every year. Standard wear and tear stuff like brakes can get a little spendy, but a Certified used 5-er is generally a good buy.

3. HarFerrari

HarFerrari Karting

May 27, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Full Name:
    Isaiah Harf
    I am probably not the person you necessarily want to hear from, considering I am 21 and do not own a German car, but from what I know, past 80K miles, you probably want to stick with a Japanese car, especially considering you are coming from a TL.

Coming from a German car, maybe this wouldn't be so bad, but for me, never having my car in the shop to even being in the shop a few times a year would be a hassle (Toyota owner here) - so I would say, stick Japanese.

Now if the price is just too right, sometimes I think you have to take a chance..IMO the '98- '03 5 Series are amazing cars to look at, probably one of the best designed sedans we've seen in a long time. That car is so sharp, and the 530 is the best of both worlds - V6 gas mileage, but the better V6 w/sport package...man oh man..

Luxury sedans in the used market are great buys - you can generally get a 45-50K car for 20K or less once it hits 50K miles and is 3 years old....I am thinking Audi A6/Lexus GS/MB E-Class/Jaguar XJ8/Acura RL..just some thoughts.

Isaiah

4. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I own an '01 530i with the Sport and Premium pkgs. Bought it new in June '01 and now have 36K on it. Haven't paid for anything for it save for a set of tires since it was under warranty till 2 months ago. The only warranty repairs done were minor common problems. ( Battery,Alternator,cup holder etc.) However it has had the left headlight capsule replaced 5 times because it filled up with water after rains. That has to be a vendor problem because every new one put in leaked. Other than that, it is an awesome car.

Dave

5. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    92K miles that's about 150 000 kilometers IMHO that car must be priced very low
    otherwise it makes no sense for no one to pay for it

P.S I've owned several german cars and I've never found out why they're more expensive than others maybe it's an image issue only IMHO

6. judoug88

judoug88 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    Marin, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    If you look around on ebay, etc. You can find 10 year old 5 series' with 200-300 even 400k miles on them. If these 10 year old cars can go that far, it's safe to "logically" assume that the newer cars should be able to do this to. As long as the car was well taken care of before, all the necessary components have been changed, etc, and you take care of it, you should be golden. Of course there are always unexpected things that come up, that you should budget for. My uncle has the exact same 97 3 series as I do (mine has almost 90k on it, my dad bought it with about 80k a year and a half ago). I haven't had a single problem with mine. My uncle has had his since new, and the transmission crapped out on the car (both cars are automatics) requiring a 6k repair. But he drives his very hard and in San Francisco. If you love the car and you think it checks out go for it. I would reccomend finding a competent independent BMW mechanic in your area check it out. He can tell you any problems with the car and fix any that might arise. The E39 5 series is one of the most beautiful ones ever built, and certainly better looking than the current 5 series.

Just out of curiousity, what is the price on it? My guess is that it's around 20-23k?

7. FerrariFabio81

FerrariFabio81 Karting

May 24, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Fabio Secaira
    Actually, the price is around $17K, that's what makes it so appealing!! Thanks for all your comments, you make some very important points and I will definitely take them into consideration.

I just got off the phone with the insurance company and so far we're gonna take the TL for repairs. After that I'll make my decision of either keeping it or trading it for the Bimmer.

Thanks again!