Would there be a spider F12?? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Would there be a spider F12??

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by aazizkhalid, Apr 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    A few years back Ferrari was paid c. 3 million euro by a US guy called Edward Walson. He wanted a one-off open top 599 as a homage to a 330LM he loved from some obscure old Fellini movie. Barking mad but you only live once.

Ferrari happily took his money and created Walson the "P540 Superfast Aperta". Can't say the P540 is a pretty car (I think it's positvely fugly) but I'm sure Mr Walson loved it.

Then a few years later Ferrari announced the SA Aperta. Surprise, surprise.

It's different from the P540 but I wonder if the those clever people at Ferrari used Mr Walson's cash to help pay for the SA Aperta's creation? Then knock out a limited number and scoop up a very nice margin.

And therefore on the basis of my woeful conspiracy theory, the F60 clearly suggests a "limited" F12 Spider is not a matter of if but when :D

2. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Kalikow 45 came before the SA Aperta and is much more similar than P540. F12 TRS is a one-off cab (or rather two-off, the owner ordered two). Nothing wrong with theories, but you might look at improving your knowledge of past models.

They do not need to finance cars through one-off sales. FYI the Special Project cars are not assembled in Maranello, but up the road close to Modena at a dedicated workshop.

3. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I came to the same conclusion as Camlet. They use the R & D work done on one-off models to produce a small series. This is true IMO for the Superfast america and the Aperta.

Did someone notice the Superfast america has the same diffusor has the GTO ?

Ferrari recycled the rigidity work done on the 599 body for the Superfact as well as the diffusor design on the Aperta and the GTO respectively

Mr Maranello , are you really sure the superamerica 45 was released BEFORE the aperta ? I ask because I remember saying "Oh that's an aperta with a Superamerica roof"

4. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Indeed, I stand corrected. Apologies for mixing those two up. It looks like I should be the one improving my knowledge of past models :eek:

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I have the same conclusion as you all. And you know what- its smart business by Ferrari.

6. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #31 WILLIAM H, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017