would like some input | FerrariChat

would like some input

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by DenisB, Jul 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DenisB

DenisB Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2007
    Cape Cod Ma.
    Full Name:
    Denis B.
    I've been looking with my g/f for a "fun" car for her and we came across two BMWs a"97 840 w auto for $18k and a "91 850 schnitzer w/stick for $15k
    now my question is.. for the woman who drives my/our ferrari which is a better/more reliable fun car that's not rediculious(sp) $$ for upkeep?

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    850 sounds like fun

I have an 02 M5 and maintenance is FAR cheaper w the bimmer than the F

3. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Try a Mini Cooper S. Those are a BLAST to drive, GREAT on gas milage and fairly inexpensive to maintain. :)

-G.B.

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Seeing as this is the Ferrari section of the board, get her a 308.

The 840 was reportedly a dog -- heavy car, dull styling, low on power, slow seller. Make sure you drive it before buying. I think Automobile had a recent article about it. Not sure about the 850.

For fun, get an air-cooled 911 cab or an NSX targa with some miles on it.

5. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    Great choices......a well maintained air cooled 911 would be fun and VERY cool in my opinion.
    When I see a well maintained example (from the 911SC on) I always think how timeless they are.

6. vunico

vunico Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2007
    southern florida
    can't agree on the "dull styling" point fighter,but maint. could be an issue on these...
    i think gently treated m3's are a fabulous buy on the used market,especially cabs

7. big.bryant

big.bryant Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2008
    Boulder, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bryant
    Out of the two you have found the one with the manual transmission is going to be 10x more fun just simply for being a coupe w/ a manual.

However there are plenty of other options out there including (off the top of my head and not trying to repeat any):

Corvette
    Used Lotus Elise
    Cadillac CTS-V
    Mercedes SLK AMG, CLK AMG
    Nissan 350Z
    Porsche Boxster, Cayman

Thats all off the top of my head, I'm sure you can find something better than a 91 (Reliability?) or that 97 (Slushbox/Weight/Power/etc) in terms of being a good driver's car on the relativly cheap.

Cheers.

8. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Neither the 840 or 850 are paticulalry "fun" to drive...and maintenance/repair costs? Think expensive, then double it!

9. DenisB

DenisB Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2007
    Cape Cod Ma.
    Full Name:
    Denis B.

10. JM4re

JM4re Formula 3

Aug 21, 2006
    Nothingcouldbefiner
    Full Name:
    JPM
    #10 JM4re, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
    In my experience (I've had 2 850s) they're a great bang for the buck. Maintenance was quite reasonable in the sense of regular maintenance but in keeping with part-and-parcel of a V12 GT coupe. Had an M70 5.0 V12 while I was in college that I was pretty much able to maintain on my monthly allowance, then when I graduated got a M73 5.4 V12 with my own money from working. Was never alarmed with any repair bills, and the engines ran pretty bulletproof because I did not neglect them. The E31s have always fit in with exotics nicely to me.

11. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Wait.

You used the terms "reliable" and "BMW 8xx" in the same post. Isn't that a VOT here?

12. JM4re

JM4re Formula 3

Aug 21, 2006
    Nothingcouldbefiner
    Full Name:
    JPM
    Aww don't be H8ing, Doc :D

13. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Corvette and Elise are great ideas. Values on lightly used Lotuses are incredibly tempting.

14. Speedracer38

Speedracer38 F1 Veteran

Oct 11, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jason Thorgalsen
    For the prices you posted I would recommend a Mini Cooper S or E39 M5.

15. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    The NSX would be HONDA reliable, distinctive looks, drives great, easy to maintain, engine in the right spot, aluminum body won't rust.

There are several around Indy and the region. Awesome cars on the twisty roads.

I know a guy out of Ohio that buys and sells NSX. Great reputation in the NSX community. Source One Automotive. His prices are supposed to be great for an NSX. I believe he has one for ~$17k right now, but don't quote that. He can supercharge them too. If you are interested in his contact info to explore that route, send me a PM.