Would it be silly to... | FerrariChat

Would it be silly to...

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Ferrarista3, Sep 26, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    #1 Ferrarista3, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    ...order an F12 and keep the 599 GTB?

I have fallen in love with the F12.

...but after over 60,000 wonderful kms in 3 years (around 40K miles), the emotional attachment with the 599 would be hard to break. She is the first Ferrari and the realization of a dream.
    It feels impossible to even contemplate selling her. Not to mention that at its current market value, selling the 599 would be silly. Furthermore, the cars runs better than new and seems to improve with every mile.

...but I wonder, would there be any logic in having a 599 GTB and an F12 in the same garage (as they might be too similar being an evolution of the same species)?
    Or perhaps that's the wrong question and I should be asking: does logic matter?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    The last sentence is the right one.

There's no logic in The passion for ferrari cars.

Do it.

Post pictures.

Call me if you come to Paris. ;)

3. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Seems to me like the logical thing to do is order the F12 and then compare the two. Unless you have already driven the F12, I think it will take some experience with that car to decide if keeping the 599 is worth it. After a few drives in the F12 you might instantly fall out of love with the 5999!

4. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    that's what i'm doing. i love my 599 too much to part with it and so its staying. plus re-sale on it is so low that who cares about trading it anyway.

the f12 will be a much better car but the 599 will endure, if on looks alone, as i do think it is the best looking GT they've ever designed. rear 3/4 view cannot be topped!

5. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Well the first observation would be that you would need a big 2 car garage. These are not small automobiles.
    As others have noted resale values seem to suffer once something new appears at the dealer. Hard to go wrong with keeping that 599 which has been a wonderful experience for you...
    CH

6. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Silly + Ferrari - Logic = BOTH!

7. tmario

tmario Formula Junior

May 11, 2004
    New York
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I have a 575 and a 599 :) I see no problem with 2 12's Are they similar? Yes, but not the same, so if it's not a money issue, then why not. Get different colors!!

Mario

8. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    get rid imo, the cars are too similar in usage terms but the f12 will be superior and your relationship with it will too grow in time.

9. ReinD

ReinD Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2010
    If you're the type of person that can appreciate the car you're driving based on it's own qualities without comparing it to your other cars, then own both.

If you're the type of person that asks yourself, "Why am I driving this car when the other car is so much better?" then just own one of them.

10. pcht5

pcht5 Karting

Jan 31, 2009
    Asia
    Full Name:
    PCHT 5
    I guess once you've got the F12, you would not drive the 599 much anymore. It would be a more logical solution if you have a F12 and a 599 GTO in the same garage, as least to me.

11. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Update: I just came back from a long test-drive of a 458 Spider. Never thought of myself as convertible kind of person. I was wrong. I did not expect to enjoy driving the 458 Spider top-down on the hills around Monaco to be so exhilarating.

Already having a 599, I suspect adding a convertible might make much more sense.

At this point the choice is 599 GTB + F12 or 599 GTB + 458 Spider.

At this point, I am leaning towards the second option.

In any scenario, I refuse to sell the GTB for the reasons stated above. Even if someone offered to pay the car's original price.

Thank you for all the opinions.

12. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Option 2. The driving experiences are more different and you will enjoy both cars more. If budget and garage space permit, get all three and decide which to keep after driving for extended periods. Large up front cash but you can probably get most of your money back on either the F12 or 458 spider.

13. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    F12s should start arriving soon enough at dealerships here in Europe.
    I will wait to drive one before making any decisions.

14. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Doesn't the F12 have a larger capacity trunk as well? Imagine the pictures you could take Carlo! ;)

15. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    In either case your real problem becomes fitting BOTH cars into your avitar. :D

Rick

16. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Don't sell the 599! I bought a Scuderia again for the stiff chassis, winding engine feel. The 458 Spider may be a good option if you're after that V8 sound/feel. I'd like to see an F12 in person. But the 599 is a masterpiece and gets better looking everyday.

17. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    A 599 and an F12 might be a tad redundant even though the F12 is notably more advanced. The better option in my opinion would be the 599 and 458 spider, especially in Monaco.
    This way you'd get a new feel with the spider and you can keep the 599 you've become attached to without feeling like you have cars that overlap considerably.

18. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Nice to hear from you! Hope your HGTE is still treating you well!

Selling the 599 was never an option. In fact, with a bit of luck, she'll be flying to the USA (and then back) next summer for a coast-to-coast road-trip with my father.

The only question was whether to add an F12 or not. I am, however, leaning towards the 458 Spider as it would be a much more logical stable-mate. For that matter, I am thinking of Argento Nürburgring with a red interior (similar to your GTO, which I am a huge fan of) :)

Thanks to everyone for the kind advice!

19. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    :)

20. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    599 is a great car and to me the 458 spider would complement it well, especially in your part of the world with some of the roads you have there(google earth is very useful).

That road trip should be epic!

21. tilomagnet

tilomagnet Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    Very subjective, so probably a useless opinion.....the F12 will probably do most things better BUT IMHO the 599 is the most beautiful Ferrari GT since the 1960ies and no way does the F12 look as timeless and elegant.

22. kongman

kongman F1 Rookie

Aug 30, 2006
    brisvegas south
    Full Name:
    mr p
    if your a fan of the V12 front engine cars and you have the money , buy em all

23. kongman

kongman F1 Rookie

Aug 30, 2006
    brisvegas south
    Full Name:
    mr p
    i think it looks better .........

24. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Drove the extensively F12 today.
    Decided to order the 458 Spider.
    I will write more detailed impressions on the F12 when I have time.

25. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Wow that's really surprising. I'd love to hear your review.