worst sports cars ever made | Page 2 | FerrariChat

worst sports cars ever made

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by TheMayor, Oct 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    #26 Stackhouse, Oct 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Wow guys! Some of your comments and suggestions are amazing. I would never have thought of a Pinto in this group. There are some really awful machines listed here.

I've never driven a Jensen Healey roadster (I've sat in one and I would agree the driving position is terrible) but it seems like a lot of people really hated it. Has anyone ever had an Interceptor? Is it as bad?

BTW, does anyone know if there was a "sports" additions of the AMC Gremlin, Hornet, and Matador? Those would have been truly sickening. I always thought the AMX was pretty cool looking but I'm sure it was a pig in the corners.

Also, I've never driven one but what about the Cosworth Vega? Does anyone have any experience with this "oxi-moron" (sic)? I've seen them but never sat or drove one.

Let's keep this going because it's just so darn interesting what people consider "worst" and why.

3. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    I agree! This is back when Enzo was still alive (1976). Can you imagine everyone at the Ferrari factory in Maranello looking at the pictures of a Ford Pinto with a giant black stallion logo on the fenders? They must have been rolling around on the floors laughing at it.

4. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Does a Bricklin even count as a real car?

5. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    You are a McCain?

6. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash

It did come with 4 wheels. So I would say yes.

7. Kingair33

Kingair33 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The production V6 had more power than the proposed V12 did--and I would imagine weighed much less. If you're referring to the engine note that's a personal preference (I would prefer a V12 sound but...).

8. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    Hey, Canadians build cars too!!

9. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Please, no Manic GT posts.......;)

10. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Nice ;)

11. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Citation X-11.

When companies hate their customers, this is what we get.

12. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    The new GTO. More corporate cynicism and at 10k USD over sticker, which was 10k overpriced to begin with.

Should have named it the GTFO.

Just another example of GM hating the people that buy their products.

13. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Sure it does! If the Delorean can count, so does the Bricklin. I used to get the scale models of the homes I design in Scottsdale done by the guy that designed the Bricklin. Herb Grasse. Incredible guy, really cool life history. He has a Bricklin being restored, and a few big caddy's.
    He also did industrial design for some Sci-fi movies and such.

Personally, the worst sports car I have driven would probably be the Mercury Bobcat (V-6 version of the Pinto).
    Also, the mid 80's Camaro was not good.
    I had a 1958 Alfa Giuletta that was very unreliable, but lots of fun when it was running.
    The best? I'd say my Ginetta G20, even though it has more rattles than a daycare!
    :)
    BT

14. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Do you really think so? The GTO was overpriced, but typical GM precipitous depreciation has taken care of that by now. The interior was nice enough, and it had a stick and 400 hp. If my choices today were a 2006 Mustang GT or 2006 GTO, I'd take the GTO.

-The Pontiac Fiero was dismal.

-Any of the Shelby/Chrysler models from the 80's were a joke. Ol' Shel went from the Cobra to a turbo Omni, very sad.

-I always thought the Dodge Daytona was a joke even when they were new.

-I don't know if it could be considered a sports car, but the Ford Thunderbird of a few years ago was a joke that everyone but Ford execs got.

15. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #40 Wade, Oct 28, 2008
    I agree having owned a TR8 for 24 years. It's aluminum v8 made it a completely different car than the TR7. The 8 was an awesome car for its day and is still an absolute blast to drive.

In the early days the 7's reliability issues were brought about by labor problems at the Speke plant in Liverpool. Most TR8s were built at the Rover factory in Solihull.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_TR8

To endure the rigors of rallying you need a strong platform and the TR7 (V8) and TR8 was very successful in that.

http://www.classicscars.com/rally/tr8/tr8.htm

The 8 did have one design flaw; the catalytic converter was bolted directly to the short runner exhaust manifolds. The high temps from the converter tended to cook the starter and clutch slave cylinder. An easy fix was a set of headers instead :)

Pics not of my car, but they're similar...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    There really was nothing redeeming about "The Shape of Things to Come" except that it wasn't the "Stag". ;)

17. Oceanic815

Oceanic815 Formula 3

Apr 30, 2008
    Central Oregon
    It extended past the X-11 on the X-body platform... The 1980 Skylark had a sport coupe, which had the 2.8 v6, 4 speed manual, bucket seats (instead of front bench), a 6 opening fiberglass grille (instead of chrome), and 13" rallye steel wheels (instead of wire hubs or plain Buick lug-covering centercaps). Vinyl roof optional, mechanical problems standard.

18. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #43 Wade, Oct 28, 2008
  19. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the Bricklin.

As a kid my sister dated this dufus that one day showed up in a Bricklin and when the doors opened up i thought he was the coolest guy in the world. He drove me to the tennis courts once for a team practice and when i got out everyone was standing around the car and i was a rock star for five minutes at only 9 years old.

20. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Agreed on the TR8.
    It was the car that was to have saved Triumph but too late.
    Mine was a Blue convertable. Awesome car for the times.

My vote for worst Sportscar goes to the Delorean.
    Totally gutless smogged V6. A Sheep in Wolfs clothing.

21. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    A Delorean isn't THAT bad. I put 3500 miles on mine this year. Yes grossly underpowered. Yes too expensive when new. Yes kind of a POS when even when new.

But that being said once all the idiosyncrasies have been delt with, certain upgrades preformed and driven NOT parked, they are kinda fun to drive. They are a nice riding car, comfortable, handle reasonably well, feel solid on the road. I like it, it's weird enough, rare enough and definately not boring. Growing up watching Back to the Future a 100 times helps.

Cars new in 81.

Countach over a 100 grand. (not that long ago these cars were not selling for 100K+)
    Jalpha 58K (no, not yet anyways)
    308 over 50K. (would take an exceptional 81 308 to bring over 50K.)
    911, around 30K IIRC (pretty tough to get 30K for an 81 911)
    924, low 20's new, (yeah right 1/2 that the seller would be doing well)
    928 just under 40K (not in a million years)
    I think an 81 Esprit was high 20's ..........(maybe but not likely)
    I could go on and on.

BUT the Delorean full retail was 25K and most probably sold for low 20's even high teens new. A nice Delorean would easily bring 25K.....I've turned down 30+ more than once.

Although I would never compare F-cars or Lambos to a Delorean, there is something to be said fot there "cult like" following. Stainless is in :)

22. manta147

manta147 Karting

Sep 7, 2006
    seekonk,mass
    Full Name:
    carter petter
    Not meaning to hi-jack this thread,but Jeff you have a Delorean? I'm in the middle of semi restoring one.

23. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    I do, have had it for a few years. Put between 6 & 7000 miles during the last 2 summers.

24. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Mustang 5.0 had to be the worst POS sportscar ever made.

We had one back when they where a hit and brand spanking new and the only memory I can remember of that damn car was us sitting at an old shoping mall when I was like 3 or 4 years old freezing our asses off because it was snowing outside pretty bad and not being able to go home because the POS wouldn't start!.

25. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    this thread is a list of jjay911's recent cars! fiat 850, x19, jag 12cyl, toss in some lancia scorpions and you have him pegged!

the mga would stall at 70mph, and the mgb was underpowered, but both of those can be remedied by modern technology or crossflow heads.

plymouth prowler, the hotrod without all that hotrod performance, pt loser, 6cyl 'stangs, mustang 2....