Worst Selling Cars... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Worst Selling Cars...

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by James_Woods, Dec 21, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VR4

VR4 Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    vancouver, wa
    Full Name:
    steve

considering it was the best selling car in the US in the mid 90s im not suprised they went back to the name.

2. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    This is a real surprise for me. I thought it was supposed to be a great car. I like it although at the price its being offered there are other cars ahead on my list.

I think the hp is a little low and the idea that it has to be slower around a track than the venerable 911 is foolish.

Put the best N/A motor in the cayman as well as the gearing.

People who want 911's want the two little jump seats for an emergency to take the kids..

The cayman is for the sports car fanatic who doesn't mind having just two seats...

I didn't realize the sales on that model are slow though so this thread has been a real eye opener..

3. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    ...which is the problem.

The main problem, though, is that people who 'just want a Porsche' would much rather have the convertible model (Boxster), which is cheaper than the Cayman. And most people who would be willing to pay more for the driving experience would rather pay slightly more and get a 911 (or pay an equal amount and get a lightly used model).

I'm surprise you guys are saying they're sales duds, though. I see them pretty frequently.

4. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    You know, I kinda liked the 524td when diesel was 25 cents a gallon cheaper than gasoline. Now diesel is the premium fuel and you pay a premium for a diesel vehicle. I had one 524td owner move into MIdland who had over 150k miles on his car and still got 32 mpg and had never had the head off. It would not die either...................Kinda raised the value to the owner as his cost per year was relatively low........

They still would not sell, new..........

5. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    The article I had in MSNEWS when I first posted this thread said ONLY the Boxter had a sales problem, not the Cayman.

I am going to check some other Porsche sources I know...U.S. sources, at least.

It is always tough to break into this price range of sports car against the higher end 911 and the faster and less expensive Corvettes. (i.e. the old 914/6, the former 300Z, and others)

James

6. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Driving through a parking lot last weekend, I saw an Isuzu Ascender! I literally laugh out loud every time I see one of those. I have SO many questions about that vehicle:
    1. WHAT genius approved the naming of that SUV?
    2. Does it sell well in San Francisco or other known gay communities? :)
    3. Do you feel safe if one is behind you on the freeway?
    4. Why wouldn't you just buy a GMC and avoid the ridicule of your friends and neighbors?

Interesting info on the Cayman, I always wondered if Porsche knew what they were doing when they priced a coupe ahead of the convertible version of the same car. If it were priced below a Boxster, I'd buy one for a daily driver. I also like the numbers on the Jag, it further justifies my thinking that I don't see one everywhere I go as I do BMW's and Mercedes.

7. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Jim, maybe the people buying the ASCender are actually LOOKING for some trouble. Making a statement, so to speak, like Ed Begley Jr. creeping along in his electric. In the interest of fairness, I will admit that I once rented and drove a stupid Honda Element all the way to Hot Springs and back and tried to walk away from it as fast as possible every time it got parked. Several people would stop me and ask all about it (to the great amusement of the other couple who was with us), and I would just give them "madame, I drive a FERRARI. this thing is rented" in my best James Mason/Captain Nemo voice. This ugly bug was also deservedly on the list, BTW.

I do wonder if what we are seeing with the Cayman is that they effectively split the new Boxter market about 35/65 (in favor of the new Cayman because used Boxters are so available), and thus put the kiss of death on the roadster.

I always liked the Jaguar style, especially the big sedans (I liked your model better than the new aluminum jobbies, though), and the exclusivity...but my worry is whether they can stay alive given these kind of numbers and the Ford finances.

8. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    The Ascender was available with deep discounts and a longer warranty than its GM siblings (the Chevrolet Trailblazer, GMC Envoy, Buick Rainier, Oldsmobile Bravada, and Saab 9-7X). Furthermore, the Ascender is arguably better-looking than those vehicles.

9. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    On the Cayman;
    I think Porsche is saddled with the legacy of the 911. The Cayman is by its midengine design going to be a better enthusiasts car but Porsche will not allow a cheaper model to usurp the king.
    The "super" RUF Cayman has not emerged as they do not want to bite the hand that feeds them. Hence their new super car is theoretically based on a 911 where a modded Cayman would have been so easy.
    A Boxter S for less money than a Cyman seems no brainer territory.
    I wonder if there is a hardtop for it.

10. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    True about the 911 dictatorship. I don't believe they want another 944T/930 controversy wherein the model which was (I'm guessing) some $30,000 inferior at the time, would clean the clock of a 930 on just about any track. Spin docs had to work overtime on that one.

11. Rockette

Rockette Rookie

Jul 27, 2007
    Full Name:
    Kristen
    Engine recalls in 2004 pretty much killed sales. When I bought mine for a 2005 model year, the dealership was ready to throw the keys at me just to get me to buy the car. Glad I made that decision, probably one of the most fun to drive cars I've ever driven, including some Porsche's. Tremendous feel, handling, and gearbox. Little low on torque though. Unfortunately for the RX-8, it's a different type of car than the 350Z.

One car that never sold well though, was the Chrysler Crossfire. Basically an SLK-clone without the good things of the SLK. Horrendous manual gearbox, even worse automatic transmission. My ex drives one actually. LOL.

12. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Huge discounts on leftover but new 05/06's for those inclined, including SRT's. I've never heard of tranny woes, but the SRT I was passenger in had killer acceleration and seemed to be well built. The ride was, well, really awful on so-so roads.

13. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I think that the ride is "sports car" like which I prefer regardless of the roads (dirt excluded) :)

There were a few transmission problems but all are covered by Technical Service Bulletins

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66

14. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    Pontiac Aztek! ahahaha

They needed to sell over 70,000 a year....first year 30,000(half were rentals and pontiac executives cars) by 05' 10,000.
    Can anybody admit to owning one of these things? It screams, I have no taste or sense of humility.

15. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm a member of PCA and in the latest issue of Panorama it has the best selling P-car as the Cayenne followed by the 911; although there is no mention of the Cayman/Boxster I do know their sales are way off.....the base Cayman has an MSRP of approx $50K and is up against the great performance buy of our times, the '08 Vette.

16. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Cayman is a great car... but at $60k with all the bells & whistles, its a piss poor buy when you look at $$$/HP ratio.

If they made this an entry level P-car at the RIGHT PRICE they could sell a ton of them. $60k is not the right price!

17. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you look at some of the owners comments on Edmunds, majority of them say the car needs 50hp more....

I've heard that substantial discounts can be had.....

18. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I have actually seen one of those not to long ago. It has a little Maty Key decal on the rear. But it is pink and not all that good looking.