Worst Selling Cars... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Worst Selling Cars...

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by James_Woods, Dec 21, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  2. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Honda Ridgeline

They are made up here in Ontario, and they are really not selling that well.

Ford 500? Never sold properly, so they had to change the name back to Taurus.

3. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Just curious where you get the sales figures from?

I do think Jag is a brand in danger, how I love them so...

-dsd

4. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell

This crackes me up. Ford thinks that changing the name to TAURUS will actually help sales. LOL. If that doesn't help, maybe a change to Edsel will. I just do not know what Ford is thinking.

Darrell.

5. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I agree with the Infiniti Q45.
    I'll also add the Lincoln Blackwood, Subaru Baja, all Isuzus.

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Funny enough, a Q45 was driving behind me today. Didn't look too bad. First time I've seen one in a while.

I completely forgot about the Blackwood! They're not bad looking imo..for a pickup. lol

7. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Don't forget the Ford Thunderbird ...

or was that suppposed to be a limited edition car ?

8. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    They may tell you i was now.. :D

9. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    You know what is really funny about that car, is that I was talking with a salesmen at my local Ford dealer and he said that people were angry at Ford that they were killing the Ford Thunderbird but then after they annouced it was being discontinued every last one they could make was sold. Was it just people who were buying it for an investment? or did people really like it that much and just waited till the last second to buy one?

10. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    I just read something the other day which said Honda actually intended to sell only a small amount of cars and planned accordingly, which is why they were able to keep it on the market for fifteen years (until 05 I think). Had Honda thought sales were poor it would have come off the market in just two or three years, like many other sportscars of the time.

I thought that was pretty neat since I had also always thought the same thing you did.

11. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Did anyone ever say, "BMW 524td"?

12. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I am betting that the Cayman has REALLY hurt the boxter sales

13. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    +1

Ugly car.....I don't understand the purpose of the "Cayman"? Is it supposed to be a step between the Boxster and 911?

Whats next...? A car to fill the step between the Cayman and 911? Give me a break, the Boxster is a great car, why demote it?

14. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    The Blackwood was flimsy and cheesy looking.......thanks to Ford and Lincoln they now have the Lincoln Mark LT pickup...awesome truck.

15. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    What an incredible reference.

Once, about four years ago, I was walking in the Georgetown area of Washington, D.C. and I saw a BMW 524td. Realizing what it was, I attempted to take its picture, only to find out I was out of film (this was before I had a digital camera). I ran several blocks to a camera store, bought film, and ran back to the 524td only to find it pulling away. I chased it down the street and managed to get a clean photo.

This remains the only BMW 524td I've ever seen to this day.

16. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Difficult to believe they didn't have anyone screaming 'bad, bad, bad idea, let's re-evaluate..'. A chimp could have made the prognostication. Same applies to the Eos. Nice cars but market share ???

17. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Why does the same apply to the Eos? Volkswagen seems like the perfect player in that segment. Perhaps you're misinterpreting its aim: not at the Mercedes SLK, but rather at the Chrysler PT Cruiser convertible and other non-sporty small convertibles.

18. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I believe the Beetle directly competes in the PT Cruiser market. Outside of that, when I think of VW, I think the image one normally has is sport-oriented in nature, ie a GTI cab or Corrado 'targa', and would have anticipated something similar as a replacement to the old Corrado. I believe the Eos answered a question no one asked, a better made, slightly smaller G6 or Sebring, although I admit I haven't a clue how sales have gone for the car....

19. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    On the topic of Porsche...yes, Cayman is odd. I suspect people will hate the new sedan if the spy photos reveal an inkling of truth in that rear end.

20. mls

mls Karting

May 1, 2005
    Subaru SVX
    Lotus Elan (FWD)
    MG XPower SV

21. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    When I was sales manager at the BMW dealership in Odessa, Texas in 1986 we received two of these "wonderful" machines. I did everything I could to sell them. Quarterpage ads, putting them on display at the airport, celebrity drives, TV drive reviews and all, to no avail. I ended up having to sell them to someone from Oregon for $5000 below invoice each. You have to love it as a manager. Sell five other cars just to break even on the two 524td's. Seven cars sold, zero profit. Now that really helps the bottom line...........

I was never offered another one. I think they knew I would turn it down very quickly.......

22. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I don't believe that was the goal of the Eos, and the people I see driving them proves it. It seems to me that the Eos intended to capture the hearts of young women, sort of like the Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder, and it succeeded masterfully. Nearly every single Eos I see is piloted by a young or middle-aged woman. To me, the average Eos buyer is a woman who doesn't need all the practicality of a Jetta and can afford to spend a bit more - just like its predecessor, the Cabrio.

I bet a high-mileage 5-series would sell pretty well today - America just wasn't ready twenty years ago! Nor were they ready for 20-second 0-60 times from a BMW...

23. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

The Cayman is dead...dead...dead.

No one wants them....one year old new cars are sitting at dealers lots.

Why buy a Cayman for the same or more money than the Boxster ?

Porsche really screwed up with that car. Up here in Canada when it was launched, a brand new loaded Cayman S listed out for $105K CAD....about what you can buy a one year old 911 C2S for......an easy decision IMHO. Buy the 911......

I sell Porsches for a living....and since the Cayman has been out.....I have yet to sell one.....new or used. That alone speaks volumes about the car. Now having said that.....a few new and used ones are getting sold somewhere obviously.....but I doubt that they are sold to anyone but first time Porsche owners......all the people I know who have had Porsche cars will not go near it.

James.....

I started my auto sales career in 1989 at the BMW store here in Calgary. We had a used 524td on the lot for sale.......it had been there for 18 months when I started. LOL !!!

24. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    You're right about who is purchasing them, I've witnessed the same thing, the odd time I've actually seen one. I suppose because I'm the target audience and find it totally generic, I have a difficult time believing the Eos will be successful. I would have thought 90% of the old Cabriolet market would have been usurped by the Beetle or Mini. The Eos doesn't even have their cachet going for it. Perhaps it's aim is to be a surrogate 9-3 or Audi Cab, making it a subspecies in that slice of the pie....time will tell.

BTW, I see a really ratty 524td every time I visit Toronto to see my parents......their neighbours. It will not die.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

25. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    That seems right to me - sort of the A4 Cabriolet for women who can't afford the real thing. Which is sort of the A4/Jetta relationship on all the other models, too!