Worst Selling Cars... | FerrariChat

Worst Selling Cars...

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by James_Woods, Dec 21, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Don't know if somebody has already commented on this, but an online news service gave a listing of some really big sales dissapointments:

Amoung the duds -

Cadillac XLR - no surprise there; who wants it when you can have a Mercedes SL?
    Jaguar - apparantly every single model except the 2-seaters; Xtype, Stype, and also the XJ (around 3600 cars each Jan to Oct this year)
    Audi - A8 & S8 appear to be dead in the water
    Porsche - the Boxter moved only 3148 Jan-Oct
    Lexus SC430 - this ugly duckling has been out there for 8 stubborn years and has never taken off.

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Just because a car sells poorly doesn't make it bad. Case in point:

NSX - Loved my NA2, I don't think they EVER sold over 500 NA2 cars in a year
    BMW 840/850Ci - Great GTs

And here is a surprise:

Mercedes SL Since 2006 or so, sales have fallen significantly. I think they sold more in 2003 then 2005-2007 combined!

3. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I think the A8 is a beautiful car. Same with the XJ-R's

Cadillac XLR was a horrible idea. No one under 50 will buy one, and most over 50 will want the undisguised version (Corvette)

4. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    You are right; I posted these because with the exception of the XLR and the SC430, they would all seem to be fairly decent cars (some of which I would not mind having)...others on the list were doggy sport utility type things such as the Honda Element. My biggest surprise was the numbers given for the Boxter; this may even be lower than sales of the Ferrari 430!

The SL does seem to be dropping behind, wonder if the price point has anything to do with it...and, I don't thing the McLaren Mercedes supercar has been much of a fireball in popularity either.

5. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    The opposite is true, too. Best sellers / pop cars aren't intrinsically better.

6. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Yup they sell lots of Kia's and Hyundai's and they are really not that bad any more...

Jaguar's issues have more to do with Parantal issues than vehicle (but the sedans do look long on the vine...)

XLR... better than you would think but not as good as it should be.

Audi, S8 A8 Pretty sure they really didn't sell that many of the big'uns here at any time, fantastic car.

Lexus YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnn!

7. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I agree with all these statments 100%.

8. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    To spend 100k on a XLR-V I better get a 25k rebate with it. In all honesty the XLR needs to be priced alot cheaper, its more of a status symbol then anything. You can get the much better performing C6 Z06 for 70k.

9. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto

Ah but you can get a pink one if you sell enough mary kay

10. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    It was posted elsewhere, but the ZR1 club guru's that have been to the factory in BG say that the XLR line has been shut down for months, with partially assembled cars just sitting in place and covered with plastic sheeting. There is rumor that they will remove it soon and start assembling the Solstice/Sky there in its place.

Dave Hill, I hope you are good and happy now - wherever you are at. You single-handedly killed the last ZR1, got rid of Dave McClellan (and they say practically every single one of his executive engineering crew), and finally got your way of making a Cadillac Corvette. After the Corvette people resisted cloning their car into another division for all those years.

11. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Thats pretty funny, we have one of the pink Marry Kay caddies rolling around here. Did you get out sailing recently?

12. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Volkswagon Phaeton
    Isuzu Vehicross
    NSX actually sold over 1000 in 91, downhill from there.
    Reventon ( heard only 20 were sold ;) )

13. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Bugatti Veyron Pur Sang - only 5 were sold
    McLaren F1 LM - only 5 (tie with Veyron Pur Sang)
    Pininfarina Ferrari P4/5 - Only 1 ever !

14. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Another opinion: I think a reason why SLs don't sell particularly well is because a 07 looks the same as a 03. So people looking to pick up one for their wife are just gonna go out and get a low mileage used instead of a new one. My take anyways.

15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Well, I think most of them have all ended up in Las Vegas... it's SL city here.

16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Also the Porsche Cayman. Although the 911 is moving well. :confused: Probably matter of styling - 911 is the classic look; Cayman ... isn't. I've also noticed that the base Boxster, with only 240bhp or so, is kind of pricey for its performance. (That's 308 QV territory...) You could argue a Boxster is all about balance and handling, but that's kind of nuanced for most modern two-seater car shopers, IMO.

Jags: X-Type and S-Type have been duds for a while -- in fact the S-Type is starting to look ridiculous.

You forgot to mention the Ford Five-Hun -- er, Taurus. I guess renaming a dull car isn't enough.

17. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    They're hugely popular in San Diego. I think there are enough almost-new ones on the secondary market, at a healthy discount, that people may be staying away from the showroom. The model's also due for an update.

18. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I would think with the introduction last year of the GL & new S-class, and the 2008 C & CL classes, it will be the SL's turn next.

Speaking of Mercedes. I would throw the previous generation C-class coupe in as poor sellers but good cars.

Others:
    BMW M Coupe
    Pontiac GTO
    Chrysler Pacifica

19. Kingair33

Kingair33 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I believe that is only true in the U.S. Foreign governments love them.

20. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway

Not so shure about that - the car has been a failure sales wise. But it gained my respect in terms of the company VW and its potential... That said, I would get one over a S- 7- or A8 any day... So stealthy in the traffic it's too cool...

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Infiniti Q45. The one with the rear parking camera (all the craze back in '02). Had the weird gatling gun headlights. They sold about 200 a month I believe.

I don't want to say the RS6 was a dud, but I think the auto tranny held back its potential for buyers. I think many more enthusiasts would've been interested had it been offered with a manual.

Mazda RX8 hasn't held steady imo. Competed with the Z for a very short while, right when the RX8 was introduced, but fell off the map in a hurry.

22. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Mercedes R-Class, people dont want that thing, whatever it is.

23. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Its pretty much a Chrysler Pacifica. Its a good 6-8 passenger vehicle though, but since it says Mercedes they charge way to much for it.

I really like the XJ, it is my favourite of all the big sedans. The Problem with the S8 is that you can buy an S6 which has 15 less horsepower for $20,000 less. Your not getting that much less car really.

24. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Chrysler Crossfire - sales were so slow that many of them ended up stored in warehouses and outdoor lots both here and in Europe. Finally, with the DCX split in progress, most of the remaining stock was pushed out through dealer-only auctions this past summer. Surprisingly, this action alone brought a 32% increase in Chrysler sales over the same period the year before; the 50% price discount being the true motivator. Crossfire sales alone were up 421%.

Imagine a one year only sportscar with 330 HP and 0-60 in 4.8 for $26,000 (SRT-6). Plus it came with a full 7/70 warranty or unlimited if you timed it right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCtN5yrjZ64

25. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    #25 FerrariF50lover, Dec 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yeah what a shame, those were very very neat cars. IMO they are pretty goodlooking too. Heres a picture I took of one at the track day I went to for the local car club. Heres a vid of the same car

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/16a25610-b40d-493c-a537-99c2016c9fd2.htm
    Image Unavailable, Please Login