Worst mpg of all time. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Worst mpg of all time.

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by islandtrader, Dec 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenwidmerpool

kenwidmerpool Rookie

Jun 17, 2016
    California
    This is probably correct. I grew up in Fairfax, and I do often wish my crap was there (for all the reasons fileable under that you mention and many more), but unless you're living in the horsey bits of MD or VA, how on earth do you maintain a valid driver's licence? Aren't there cops and tickets everywhere around DC?

It often takes me a minute to get the gas cap open (not sure why), which, by the GTA standard, is a classically compromised position. Things can only go downhill from there.

2. kenwidmerpool

kenwidmerpool Rookie

Jun 17, 2016
    California
    Missed this while writing mine over dinner --you live where I would in the mid Atlantic.

3. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR

4. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    My area is considered rural. However, on the way to each of the closest metros which are all at least 5 hours away, there are quite a few gas stations surrounded by questionable neighborhoods.

5. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    I get 180 miles a tank so if I do the math..... like 8 MPG WOO HOO!

6. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That has to be the worst MPG I've ever seen on a modern day car. It's actually inexcusable and seems borderline poor/lazy engineering.

7. tmario

tmario Formula Junior

May 11, 2004
    New York
    Full Name:
    Mario
    It IS irresponsible.

But, what part of owning a Ferrari would be viewed as responsible by most people?

8. patekswiss

patekswiss Formula 3

Mar 31, 2014
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo

agree. have met some great car ppl while fillin up the old berlinetta

9. kenwidmerpool

kenwidmerpool Rookie

Jun 17, 2016
    California
    Fun had at the filling station is predicated on age of car owner and region. Having made under 35 yrs old the fortune which paid for my cars (see my debut youtube video: "I Bought My First Supercar Before Potty Training!"), I don't receive the same quality of attention as older exotic owners. The latter might be considered loveable, wrinkled hat wearing old farts in cars they can't control; or Doctors (this was once a profession of some social standing; I'll update: administrator of Doctors) who've earned it; or the also mostly loveable, because capable of producing sympathy, mid-life crisis guy.

Different kettle of fish under ~40 and in southern California--a dump in so many ways. Here we are obliged to observe the luxury ego "glance." It works like this: I quickly look at you on road or [service station], but only long enough to see you've looked at me, being careful to appear not to be interested enough to be looking at you. To show appreciation for someone else or their taste is too costly a sacrifice. "Privacy" glass (really, it is not at all applied to attract attention) and black wheels, baby.

Caveats

EI/EQ: Questionable social skills are a benefit here. Poster above, who suggests to OP et al that they "suc[k] it up," who also annoys tons of people on this forum, and who is under 45 (no?), has unalloyed fun at the gas station.

Admission of Whole/Partial Implausibility of Above Argument: Are F car owners on average younger than say, Porsche. I suspect so...

10. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Okay, so I look up the EPA mpg ratings:
    FF: 11 city, 17 highway, 13 combined
    F12: 12, 16, 13
    TDF: 11, 15, 12

I guess with the 4RM on the FF and the additional power for the F12/TDF, the numbers make sense. The slightly smaller 6.2L V8 in the E63 AMG (RWD only) has figures of 13/20/15. Okay, the 6.3L V12 has 4 additional cylinders so the engine can rev up much faster and the V12 is inherently balanced and thus smooth, but I thought mpg is largely dictated by displacement. I wonder if anyone can share some insights on what lead to the significant difference in mpg between 2 engine of the same displacement, but with different number of cylinders.

11. AutobahnAndTrack

AutobahnAndTrack Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2014
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefan G
    In Germany live is about efficiency, beeing green and political correct.

In Italy? Dolce Vita :)

12. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I don't mind talking to people in general when I fill up but I am on guard (especially when out of town or unfamiliar gas station/neighborhood) I always put the key in my pocket when I get out to fuel up and I do keep a Kimber Pepper spray pistol in the door side pocket just in case. Of course if the assailant brandished a real gun, I would hand the keys over.

13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    some of the dumbest and most obnoxious comments have been made at the pump

14. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I wonder why that's your experience and others have an opposite experience?

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    how many times have you been banned since you joined?

16. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    California is not one thing, one people. Prius, not Tesla, anyway, would be the argument.

If you or your car is ostentatious, you might get a bad look. The white FF is all love. I would say it's a personal issue.

17. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Concur. My Land Rover gets 10-11 mpg fairly consistently. I got used to it, now don't even think about it much. However, if I did, I'd agree it's silly.

18. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Can you provide some examples?

19. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    LA is very different than SF with that respect.
    I would expect more "i know better" in SF than LA actually, possibly on contrary to common belief

20. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    SF is far more elitist liberal, yea. LA ranges from car lovers who really appreciate the automobile in all it's forms (most people) to a few status people, to a very small percentages of elitism or jealousy.

21. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Two things that suck about having to go to the gas station a lot:

1. Weather. If it's cold out, the last thing I want to do is get out to pump gas in freezing weather, especially if the car hasn't really warmed up yet.

2. It has nothing to do with the comments people make at a gas station. I've never heard a negative comment made, only positive reaction. I just don't like having conversations with strangers about my car, especially when it's always the same questions. I'm always polite enough to answer questions and open doors and let people look around, but that doesn't mean I enjoy it or want to sit around and talk about it.

I personally can't wait for EV exotics and never having to go to a gas station again.

22. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Bentley has started this service of delivering gas. I'm sure it can easily be arranged for other cars with the company contracted to provide the service.

23. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The bad weather in LA? The "freezing"?

It's never below 40F, seldom below 50. Dude ... get a grip

24. islandtrader

islandtrader Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2013
    Where do they do this? Is this in the USA by any chance?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    you guys are so obnoxious and pretentious lol

this service is worth whatever they want to charge for it.