WORST MAJOR LEAGUE SPORTS CITY ? | FerrariChat

WORST MAJOR LEAGUE SPORTS CITY ?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Steelton Keith, Feb 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Has to be Miami. Baseball lowest attendance by a mile. NHL the same. Dolphins stadium 75% full of visiting team fans.

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Jacksonville has to be a close second

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    St. Petersburg, FL. Tropicana Field has no business being out there.

4. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Really, Miami?
    Not what I wanted to hear.
    San Diego is what I would have expected (pre Machado era)

tomkatf and GuyIncognito like this.
  5. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Not all that long ago Miami was a great sports town. Crappy ownership making stupid decision after decision has ruined NFL, MLB and NHL teams in town. I’m not an NBA fan but even with the arena difficult to get to the Heat still draw crowds and are competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

bball16 likes this.
  6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I would agree with San Diego since it is one of the largest cities in the country and is down to only 1 team from the 4 major team sports.

tomkatf likes this.
  7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I would say Philadelphia, not due to the teams but the fans.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Boston.

The fans suck!!! :)

9. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Now let me see, I have two friends here, the Mayor and Paul, and they seem to be on opposite sides of the discussion? How can I possible make a decision on who to support?:p

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think its a tie. :)

11. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    First two posts nailed it. Anywhere in the state of Florida. Whomever decided Florida needed more than one professional team per sport - maximum! - was delusional.
    T

GuyIncognito and dm_n_stuff like this.
  12. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What about Atlanta? Lost an NHL team twice!!

13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Bob is just kidding...........right Bob? :(

14. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    I don't consider JAX a major league city. Mike is right, ATL is a close second to MIA. Can't sell out playoff games for Braves. Lost NHL franchise. If I followed the NBA I'd know if they have a team there...

15. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    it's not, that's why it's the worst ;)

people forget, but Jax was a distant 4th in the NFL expansion race, then St Louis and Baltimore screwed themselves out of a team in various ways. Jax got the franchise almost by default.

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I hate to defend Florida, but it is the 3rd largest state in the US behind CA and TX. how many pro sports teams do those states have?

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    But we have the best-supported MLS team in the league - 70,000+ fans per game, and the defending champions. The Braves and Falcons draw pretty well, but they are definitely fair-weather fans.

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    True, but it does not seem that FL supports pro teams through thick & thin like other locales. And, like FL does for college sports.
    I know there are a lot of transplants from NY down there, but I've watched Yankees-Rays games on the tube with the wife, and it sounds like a Yankees home game. I've been to about half a dozen Mets@Marlins games in Miami - when the Fish were good! - and there were more Met fans in the stands than Marlins fans. I can't comment on hockey & basketball, since I do not follow those.

As to the comment on Boston, my recollection is that even before there teams went on their current winning streaks since the turn of the century, Boston fans loyally supported their teams. Again, I'm extrapolating based on baseball, since I follow that closest. But, I've been going to Boston for business for nearly 30 years, and it has never been easy to get tix to Fenway.

T

19. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I have to disagree with Atlanta. They have/had a good NFL team very recently.

20. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    ditto the old Garden for Celts and Broons. Every February, when the EQUIPMENT truck is loaded up from Fenway to head to Florida, it's live coverage on the Boston radio stations and a feature on TV local news.
    I have attended every Fenway opening day but one since 2000 and I can tell you tickets are pricey, not to mention the beer.

21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It wasn't quite always that way Tom. I think the 1967 year was the turning point. They won the pennant and played the St. Louis Cardinals in the series. I started attending Boston University in 1965 and we would regularly walk down to Fenway in the afternoon (this is when weekday games were actually played during the day) and go into the bleachers because they opened the gates after the 6th inning.

The funny thing is we thought it was great to watch the last 3 innings for free, and this was when bleacher seats only cost 50 cents! :D

22. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Tom, you got me a little nostalgic, so I did a little googling. From a book excerpt -

Fenway was a ghost town of a ball park in 1965, when the team drew but 652,201—an average of 8,052 a game.

The worst came late in the season. On Sept. 28 against California, only 461 fans showed to watch the sad Sox. The next day was even worse against the same team—just 409 in the house. Finishing ninth in the 10-team American League, the Sox lost 100 games and won 62. The nadir had been breached.

Undoubtedly a couple buddies and me would have boosted attendance to 464 and 412 if only we had paid the 50 cents to get in! :D:D:D

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Interesting stuff, Paul. Thanks. Did not go to Boston on biz until early - mid 90s, I would guess. We used to stay in the Back Bay near Hynes. Been to Fenway twice now. Kind of reminds me of Wrigley. Not a great stadium per se, but great history. Last time, we sat in the right field roof seats.
    T

24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Not a bad call on SD. They lost both Clippers and Chargers. Petco is a nice stadium though...T

tomkatf likes this.
  25. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The one that choked away a 25 point lead in the SuperBowl? You can’t be good if you do that; you have to be awful.