"Worst Ferrari ever made" | Page 2 | FerrariChat

"Worst Ferrari ever made"

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by billh1963, Nov 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. milko1969

milko1969 Formula 3

Feb 21, 2012
    Breda, Holland
    Full Name:
    Milko
    #26 milko1969, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have owned a 308 gt4 for eight years ago, nobody wanted them, now good examples are selling in Germany (eberlein voor 80-90.000 euro's) Than I got a pristine 365 gt4 2+2, nobody wanted, I have sold it for three years ago, now in europe the cheapest will set you off for 80.000 euro's the best examples will do 129.000 euros, I now own a Mondial 3.2 from 1987, nobody wants them, ore.........prices go up slowley, everybody gets the picture?
    Status is not of importance to me, a nice driver car is what i Need, all the rest is Bull.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #27 paulchua, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    Hi JCR,

You forgot TIME magazine said the "8" it was one of the 50 worst cars of all time as well...

Kind of like this TIME article critiquing Picasso's "Worst" art
    Art: Picasso's Worst - TIME

I wish I could have one of those pieces in my living room, let me tell ya

that Top Gear nominated it the worst car of all time.......right before they nominated the Ferrari F40 as "even worse" - I would LOVE to have the worst Ferrari F40 in my garage.

I remember the immediate predecessor of the Mondial, the 308 GT4 occupied this pedestal not too long ago...have you seen prices lately? (If you can even find a good example of one)

Sometimes people have the need to ruminate about what is the worst "Rolex", what is the 'worst' vintage year for Dom Perignon, who is the "worst" gold Medalist in the Olympics....

Give it time boys...give it time....

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua

Beautiful car!!! and well said Milko - well said my man...

4. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I suspect that the worst Ferrari ever built hasn't been built yet.

If and when they start cranking out 20+K a year....

5. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I was downplaying it last week, as a friend goaded me on.

I was like "Well, I DO have a red car, most people consider it the ugly step-sister..." (I rarely say the "F" word, even to friends if they don't know I'm into/own cars).

He saw the car in my warehouse and said "Dude, SHUT up, who cares if it's a Mondial 8?!?!? You own a F****** Ferrari!"

I chuckled, and then wondered why my cam belt looked crooked and I'd left some fluid on the concrete...S***!

6. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014
    I remember years ago when a guy I knew that was selling Rolls and Bentley said to me " a Rolls is a Rolls" I think you could say the same thing about Ferrari.

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #32 paulchua, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    Five years ago, I remember one guy said at an event - The Mondial - at least it's not the GT4...

I didn't even know what a GT4 was...

After reading about it, I didn't understand the hate - I thought the GT4s were really cool then and more so now...when I first started looking to buy my first Ferrari - I saw a bunch of GT4s for sale - they were cheaper then the Mondial - but I couldn't find one in reasonable condition.

Fast Foward just 5 years:

The cheapest decent condition one is 40K Pounds ($63,000)
    Ferrari 308 GT4 for Sale on Car and Classic UK

There is one for $28,000 - but it's in really bad shape.

Here is an awesome article about the "resurgence" of interest in the much bullied (sound familiar?) 308 GT4

A Ferrari Dino 308 GT4 retrospective, by Gear Patrol - Autoblog

8. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    If the Mondial is the worst Ferrari ever I guess I can own any Ferrari and be happy because I loved my Mondial when I had it.

9. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    I overhear some of these comments too...even from other F owners

funniest time was when i walked up to a group that was looking at my car and one guy said that the Mondial was an awful car, I just smiled and one of the other F owners introduced me and he asked what I drove

I shook his hand with a big grin and said yep the Mondial is mine! awkward! lol

However the true enthusiast F owners always complement the Mondial

10. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    This is because there are too many posers in the Ferrari circle now IMO.

They think they are enthusiasts, when really they are the bottom feeders that should be in a Fiat or an Alfa.

We see this in all the threads, the 348/355 bashing, the Testarossa bashing and on and on. The reality is, if you are a true tifosi and Ferrari enthusiast there is no real "worst ferrari made" they all serve a different purpose.

As owners, many on this very site are the worst of it with these cars when they go on sale, the gaggle of BS posts that the car is too high and when was the last service has ruined our cars.

The bottom feeder cars then get a decent price, and the really good cars can't sell for more, because some bottom feeder brags that he has a Ferrari not knowing it's running on 7 cyl going down the street ta ta ta ta ....

We deserve what we are getting with our cars because we don't stop it.

Instead of shaking his hand you should have punched him right in the mouth.

11. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I know the 964, i drove several of them: it's a great car, but it's slower than a 348. The c4 is no more a Porsche in the way i like them, but the c2 is great.

The Italian Quattoruote magazine did a comparison between the 348 and the 964 in 1990: 348 was always faster. And then, faster or not, a 348 is a 300 hp 3,4 liter V8 Ferrari: isn't that enough? The Porsche 964 was a 3,6 liter flat six with just 250 hp.

ciao

12. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    LOL, priceless Don!

Hey, hey, I own an Alfa! :)

True indeed about posers in the Ferrari world. Almost as many as us true enthusiasts imho, if not more. Together with professional collectors, they're the antagonists of true Ferrari enthusiasts. Those guys adulterate/manipulate the market and public opinion, resulting in people having a deviated perception of what great cars are worth. Anyway, who died and made them kings so they have the final word on what is and isn't a true Ferrari? All of them are true Ferraris!

Some owners also bash their own cars, expecting a Ferrari to be as cheap to maintain as a Ford pickup truck. It's like going out in the rain without an umbrella and then complain you got a cold. The car ends up being bashed as a scapegoat for the human factor being at fault, for whatever reason (usually poor education regarding the Ferrari world).

Of those three categories (enthusiasts, arrogant posers and full time collectors), the most endagered species is, imho, the enthusiasts. Might help to explain why great cars like the Mondial, the GT4s or the 348 are bashed without reason or logic. There's fewer and fewer of us, and those of us who do stick around, have incresingly less patience to argue with idiots.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

13. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Guys, Compared to bikini threads and whatnot our Mondial section doesn't get a ton of visits. Probably most who click on the Mondial section either get it or are at least genuinely interested in the cars.

But everyone on FChat sees the thread titles such as "worst Ferrari Ever"

Why do we do this to ourselves?

Dave

14. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    one guy to his friend : "that's the worst miss USA ever".

His friend: "do you have her phone number?"

ciao

I think no F car is as bad loking as the 125S: if you do not stand anymore your "worst" 125S, please ship me car and i will pay the delivery...

ciao

15. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Dave you're right, this thread should be deleted. Too negative.

16. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    The thread itself is mostly positive, It's just the title which all of FChat sees, members and non-members alike. We need to do our part to be good ambassadors for the Model. Instead of "Worst Ferrari Ever" maybe "Funny comment at the shop today"

that's all I'm sayin.

Dave

17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    We do not have the same sources and lectures, then:
    -when the 348 appeared on the market, all the european journalists that timed it pointed out that, from 0 to 100 miles (or 0 to 160 km/h) it was actually SLOWER than the 328 in acceleration and pick-up, this due to it being HEAVIER, if slightly more powerful.
    - none other than Mauro Forghieri, chief designer of the Scuderia from 1961 to 1985, said recently (in 2013, in "Forghieri on Ferrari", Giorgio Nada editor) that the 348 is the worst car that ever has the pancing horse badge, in all Ferrari's history.
    So, whatever we may think, such comments must nevertheless be worth something...

Rgds

18. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    If you own one and experience it you will know the truth.

19. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    #44 billh1963, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    Well...the title is in quotes :)

Also, I don't know why anyone is worried about internet postings. Before I bought my first Mondial; I read hundreds (if not thousands) of postings and had a good idea of what I was getting into. Most truly negative posts come from those who don't do their research and are "surprised" when they cant treat the car like their Honda.

As far as "bashing", every marque specific forum has their share of masochistic bashing. Ever look at the Porsche 996 forums?

I believe most cars go through these cycles.

When they are new you get the normal, "look at my new car!" posts. Love is in the air and all is right with the world.

As they age and are passed along you get the "why did the manufacturer do it this way? That's stupid. Anyone know an aftermarket (cheap) solution?" posts. Many people can afford to buy the car but not maintain it.

The next step is where the car starts becoming a classic. You get a combination of posts ranging from the car is crap to the car is a work of art. You also see a mix of posts regarding aftermarket mods and those seeking original parts

After enough time the car becomes an acknowledged classic and you get posts extolling the virtues of originality. All past sins of poor design are forgotten as the values of the cars climb and speculators get involved.

Not every car gets to this last stage. However, the Mondial will get there by virtue of being a Ferrari. How can it not? It has the right pedigree, has the right engine, the design is actually starting to age gracefully, and is practical.

Want examples of what I am talking about?

Porsche 911 2.7L cars ('74-'77)
    Porsche 914
    Ferrari (Dino) 206/246
    Ferrari (Dino) 308GT4
    Most any American Muscle car
    '70's model Maserati's (Merak, Khamsin, etc.)
    etc........

20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Again: we must not read the same magazines: I have no interest in other cars than Ferraris (or Dinos, haha...) but:

- the period road-testing of the Dino 246 were actually almost all extatic: I still have the Paul Frere's account, and it is bubblying with enthusiasm.

- the first road-test of the 308GT4 in France by the respected journalist José Rosinski in "Sport-Auto" was still titled, last time I had a look at it, just like it was titled in 1974: "La meilleure Ferrari à ce jour" ("The best Ferrari to this day")...

Rgds

21. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    It's not what the journalists say (they get paid to write and they have to be careful what they say). It's what the public says initially and later on as the cars age. All the cars mentioned above were derided after a short time by "enthusiasts" and later on by the same press.

22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Sorry Bill, but...may I remind you that I actually was there!
    I was born in 1960, so was 12 in 1972 and the "Dino 246" was seen here in Europe as a true jewel, and as always remained seen as such.
    Except by the very small core of "true" Ferraris owners, by this I mean "V12s" ("ah, that car? well park it over there, with the other FIATs...")
    We had "the Persuaders" everywhere on TV in Europe at the time, and that show was a HUGE success, and in that show the "Dino" was a star, and has always remained an iconic car here; there is no question about it.
    The 308GT4 was slightly puzzling due to its style, which was not universally accepted, but all enthusisats knew at the time that it was one of the best road-holding cars from Maranello, even better in that domain that the 308GTB that followed.

On the other hand, the "Mondial", and especially the "8", was badly received and considered; one Italain magazine at the time even said: "This one, Ferrari will have to pay its dues for having produced such a thing".
    Note that, to come back/stay with the press, the car was largely rehabilitated, at least, by the journalists, with its 3,2 litres version.

Rgds

And to conclude on journalists, a few of them were/are still respected for their independence...

23. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I actually find the 348 a very cool car, kind of a mini Testarossa in terms of design and that alone makes it a very cool car in my book.

Never got inside a 348, so I don't quite get all the bashing towards it. At least I don't bash what I don't know, nor I reproduce "ad nauseum" what detractors say, just because it's comfortable jumping in on the trend.

Regarding Ferraris attitude about the 348, I really do believe that they consider it to be one of the poorest cars they ever produced. Some insiders say that the reason why the 355 ended up being so stunning and successful, was because they really had to get their act together after the 348 and produce a gem. A bad Ferrari is an abstract concept to me: like Santa. There is no such thing. Regardless of public perception, Mauro Forghieri and Luca di Montezemolo, I'd have a 348 any day of the week. Didn't go for one because I already had a raw, non-technological no-nonsense car (Mondial) and wanted something more contemporary to enable a more relaxed and powerful drive (355).

I maintain people who bash senselessly the 348 or the Mondial have never even seen one. I bought my Mondial after falling in love with it when I first visited and performed the PPI. Pictures don't do any Ferrari justice. The thing that impacted me the most was how the car live looked much cooler and imponent just sitting there than it did on the photos. Same thing regarding numbers: you couldn't care about them less when you put your foot down and listen to him sing happily all the way to the redline. No video or hearsay can compare. So we must check credibility (or lack thereof) of those bashing these models, or any Ferrari for that purpose. Even public people like Forghieri or di Montezemolo don't speak out for nothing, sometimes there are hidden agendas behind their statements that remain a mystery for everyone outside the corridors of power at Ferrari.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

24. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Ah Alberto, you forget the German horses were much stronger than the Italian horses in this period of time!
    According to Auto motor und Sport the C2 was faster to 200 km/h and standing kilometer. But of course as you know in reality there is really not much difference between these two cars and so it is not correct to simply state that one is faster than the other, particularly in the real world.
    You know as well as I do that many factors determine outcome of any race or measurement of speed.

25. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I was at the ERR opening on saturday and saw the car. I thought it looked really good on the lift (if that one was yours I presume?). I really like the Mondial coupes.
    I'm surprised how easy the belts are to get at.. all through the rear wheel.

There were alot of folks there as you can see from the pics. Even some with "European" cars like the GT-R! I don't know why someone would say that about the car. I thought it looked good!