Worst car you've ever driven? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Worst car you've ever driven?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Gatorrari, Jan 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    More:

- 99-02 Chevrolet Blazer
    - Fiat Ritmo
    - Lada Samara
    - Suzuki Sidekick
    - Nissan Sentra
    - 02 Ford Mustang V6

2. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.

Hated everything about that car!.....Terrible driving position, seats, interior, transmission sucked hard, engine lacked any grunt and spongy breaks.

What a POS

3. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I have two that are tied for the worst.

An early 60s Mustang that belonged to a friend in college. The brakes would lock up with all but the most gentle of pedal pressure.

The other was an early 1970s DAF that I drove when I worked for a repair shop in the UK many years ago as a summer job. A truly awful car in every way, though it did pioneer the CVT automatic transmission.

4. MR2turbo4evr

MR2turbo4evr Rookie

Sep 11, 2009
    2004? Chevrolet Aveo with manual transmission (company vehicle). The company I worked for replaced a few mid 90's Honda Civic's with brand new Aveos. Everybody hated them. They're absolutely atrocious to drive. There's no feel for the clutch, the transmission is a mushy mess, the handling is aweful, the interior is extremely cheap, etc,etc. The revs also don't drop fast enough between gear changes so it's almost impossible to drive these things smooth, especially when you're in a hurry. The engine also has no power (compared to the Civics for example). They were also very unreliable. All 4 or 5 of them were in the shop multiple times before they reached 20,000km (12,000mi). I do admit that they were driven fairly hard, but the Civic's were driven the same way, and despite very high milage (200,000mi+), they rarely needed to be fixed. The seats were also hard an uncomfortable. I've driven a '91 Tercel and it was better in every single way, and I'm dead serious.

2009 Pontiac Montana/Chevy Uplander (company vehicle). The drive-by-wire system responds waaayyy too late. Terrible steering, ride, handling and interior. It blows my mind how someone can walk into a dealership, test drive one of these POS's and actually spend money on it afterwards.

2002 Ford Windstar (company vehicle). Same problems as above, except no drive-by-wire system. The automatic transmission was a lot worse than on the Montana/Uplander though.

5. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    The ultimate worst car I've ever driven was a Hornet my gf bought from her boyfriend. No ps and no pb, no question the worst can I've ever driven (beating a 68 Bug and a 72 914 by warp 10). 66 Humber Super Snipe was fourth , '77 Spitfire fifth, Fiat 850 Coupe (remember them ?) sixth...

6. Bean_328i

Bean_328i Rookie

Oct 24, 2008
    Saturn Ion.

CVT transmission + electric steering + an interior that feels like it was designed by a 6 year old = The worst car built in the 21st century.

7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Automatic Delorean.
    Look up "gutless" in Websters.
    There is a Delorean pic.

8. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Another vote for the PT Cruiser. Funny thing is, I remember being excited the very first time I saw one. I had a meeting with a guy and he had just bought it. We went outside to check it out and I thought it had some pretty cool lines and the body colored dash was a nice throwback look. A couple of years later I was on a trip and that is what they gave me at the rental car agency. I was excited to drive one finally! What a disappointment. The door needed to be slammed shut. The engine was noisy in a bad way. Way underpowered. The whole car shuddered on acceleration. One hour into the drive my seatbelt chime started going off even though my seatbelt was on. I went to another branch and turned it in and picked up a Camry. What a difference the Camry was--quiet, power was good and everything worked properly.

I wasn't surprised when Chrysler started changing hands then later went bankrupt.

9. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    My neighbor had two PT Loser's at one time (he & his college bound daughter). He finally came to his senses and replaced his PT with a GMC SUV, but the daughter continue's to
    drone on!

10. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Everything Toyota I've driven has been terrible. They make me motion sick for some reason, and if not they are so detached from the road that I begin to nod off.

11. Vantage007

Vantage007 Formula 3

Jul 5, 2009
    Toronto
    The Dodge Avenger I rented last week. It was so bad I wanted to put it straight into a tree, but then I felt bad for the tree.

Jesus H Christ it was an awful machine.

On a slightly more positive note, the 2012 Focus Titanium is actually a fantastic car.

12. doug_porsche

doug_porsche Karting

Dec 6, 2009
    Trying 2 find myself
    Full Name:
    Doug
    AMC Pacer. I sure hope there was something wrong with the breaks on the car I drove.

13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My dad had an Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Diesel that was pretty awful, I have to say. Not quite Dauphine-level awful, but getting close.

A really poor driving experience, combined with a complete lack of reliability!

14. boiseferrari

boiseferrari Formula 3

Nov 11, 2005
    Boise, Id.
    Full Name:
    Kriss
    It's kind of funny because I wasn't going to post until I saw your comment. Toyotas make me car sick. I've never been car sick in anything else. I first experianced it in a 2004 4Runner. I was working at a Jeep dealership (who also owned a Toyota dealership) and we had a comparison day. After about 10 minutes in the 4Runner I felt like I was going to toss my lunch! I figured I just wasn't feeling well until I drove the same generation Tacoma. Every time riding or driving one. No as bad in the sedans.

After 17 years in the car business it would be really difficult to name the worst car I've ever driven because I have literally had wheel time in thousands of cars. Besides previously mentioned Toyotas, the Ford Excursion is a monumental hunk of crap. Drives really poorly and stops even worst. The C4 Corvettes are garbage. Pretty much every domestic car in the 1980's and early 1990's wasn't a good ride. I could go on all day.

15. marc556

marc556 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 15, 2007
    Wiltz (Lux)
    Full Name:
    Marc Foyen
    FERRARI 348 Tb......

16. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I'm not sure if I'm less tolerant of cars I expected to like over those I knew going in I'd probably detest.

17. Stolit

Stolit Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    La Habra Heights, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Mid-1990s Nissan Sentra. The driver could go from hardly any throttle to nearly floored with no change in the car's speed or behavior. The driver had to stand on the throttle to accelerate to freeway speeds, and no onramp was long enough to get that car to 60+ by the time it merged onto the freeway. The steering was lifeless and had only a passing relevance to the car's direction. Braking would have been enhanced by giving the occupants holes in the floor Flinstones-style and some thick rubber shoes. The car had all the wind and atmospheric protection of a shot-up tin can. The strangest part was that the car was nearly new. It wasn't worn out; it was just bad.

I also had a friend in high school who owned a Plymouth Horizon. I had the misfortune of driving it on a couple of occasions. The car could not travel in a straight line, no matter what. The steering wheel vibrated back and forth at any speed. When shifting, its three-speed automatic transmisison made a loud, audible *CLUNK*...assuming that the car decided to shift at all. I had various interior bits come off in my hand. At low speeds, it was every bit as smooth as a cheap dirt bike; at high speeds, anyone unfortunate enough to be in the car couldn't escape the feeling that death was imminent.

I've driven some clunkers over the years, but those two are tied for the worst car I've ever driven.

18. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    And sadly I owned it for a very brief time was a Viper. It was a 600 hp 2009 car. The disapointment was I expected so much more from the car.

The chasis always felt unsure of itself and I hated the silly transmission lock from 1st to 2nd gear. also for 600 hp it felt slow. I think a Z06 would smoke it easily.

It sure was a pretty car tho. I only keep the car for 2-3 months.

Lee