Worst car you've ever driven? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Worst car you've ever driven?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Gatorrari, Jan 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Worst car I ever drove was a Chrysler K-car rental back in what, maybe late 1970s or early 80s?

First one couldn't cough its way out the rental garage, they gave me another that barely made it out.

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think the thread should be "Worst car you've ever driven, excluding everything GM, Chrysler and Ford made from 1970-2000?"

They were all terrible.

I remember driving my grandmother's Chevy Monza...

3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I actually owned a 1984 Aries K wagon...drag raced that thing...it was definitely crummy, but seeing people's reaction after it went down the strip was priceless.

4. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #54 NeuroBeaker, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ford Ka.

The suspension, when it is in full working order, is somehow bouncy and bone-jarring at the same time. Going round any corner makes you wonder if the car is going to roll over onto its roof before or after the back end slides away from you. How Ford managed to make such a small, short-wheelbase car feel like the back end is a completely separate entity from the front is beyond me. The engine is a monotonous drone that gives you no power at low revs, and similarly no power at high revs - though in the latter case it sounds like it is going to explode... in the most monotonous way possible.

Moving on to creature comforts... the seats gave me back ache, and I'm a perfectly healthy 20-something. The gear shifter detached and came away in my hand. The climate control system wasn't working properly. It either did luke-warm or cold, and there was no difference in fan speed between settings 2, 3, and 4. One of the two radio speakers didn't work.

Everything about it exuded a car that had been designed as cheaply as possible and built as cheaply as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if Ford lost money on this car due to all the warranty claims for poor workmanship. Ford is normally quite good and was producing the excellent Ford Focus at the time, but this was a terrible of a car.

And the one we had to rent only was only a little over a year old and had 4,000 miles on it at the time. Would hate to see what one looked like after a couple of years.

All the best,
    Andrew.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I drove an "almost Ferrari" once....

6. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    I had a K-car as a company car in the mid-80's. No FM radio but it did have A/C
    which was a blessing on hot summer days. I blew the tranny up (3 speed) during
    rush hour in Cleveland, and thank god it wasn't in a bad part of town!

7. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Lincoln Town Cars. Absolutely no feel to the steering.

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Worst ever: Hawaii rust bucket 77 Bonneville. Going straight required swinging the wheel side to side, no brakes, 5mpg, no anything.

Worst new car: 08 Dodge Caliber. wheezy engine, plastic, inhuman ergonomics, chunky block styling. Makes a 1999 Saturn SL look brilliant, and thats a POS too.

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    oooh, good call. I had one as a rental car once. I had suppressed the memory until just now ;)

it was particularly bad since I had just stepped out of my 997 moments before...talk about both ends of the spectrum.

10. Vantage007

Vantage007 Formula 3

Jul 5, 2009
    Toronto
    Caliber... yeah. I showed up to Enterprise once and they had one waiting for me. I insisted that I wasn't leaving until they found me something else. Yeah, they're THAT bad.

11. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    funny stuff ....the comments abbout the caliber and pt-cruiser are so true .....i test drove a pt-cruiser turbo when i also test drove (the car i bought) srt4 ....i couldn't believe how the same company could make one so bad, and the other surpisingly good .....had a rental caliber a while ago, and it was abhorrid!

12. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    post bugeye "spridgit" what a POS....all the worst elements of english cars with none of the charm...don't get me started....

13. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    We had an 80 diesel Chevy Chevette. Slowest car ever,no a/c because it did not have enough power to turn a compressor too, the Izuzu engine covered everything in oil residue, it would spin out in the rain, in the early 80's you had to buy diesel fuel in the semi truck lanes. Starting it in the morning would wake Lazarus.

14. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    SMS,

You reminded me of my old "Dominoe's" pizza delivery days when I was just out
    of school and looking for a job. They had those red, white and blue Chevette's
    used for delivery before the liability exposure got too high and they sold them.
    What a POS, no radio or other options, no speed from that crappy 4 cylinder
    mouse motor that sounded like it was wheezing itself to death, but boy did we
    drive the heck out them sliding them through the corners on those skinny tires
    and just beat the crap out of them. The POS really make you appreciate today's
    cars and it's hard to believe GM actually sold those pigs. You'd think they's be too
    embarrassed after viewing the finished product.

Mark

15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    We rented a C70 T5 convertible. It was a piece of ****. The interior looks like it was from a 1980's American car when it comes to quality. The buttons were big and nasty as in a pickup.
    The ride was almost as vague as a Lincoln Town car. The brakes had 0 feel. And it shook like my 90.000 miles 1988 Alfa Spider.

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    My dad's cousin bought a Cimarron, and the transmission broke after just 10,000 miles! He replaced it with a Chrysler New Yorker which, in spite of its own flaws, was at least comparatively reliable.

I'm not sure you should go back to 1970; my '70 Nova, my first car, was pretty good. It was later in the decade, first with driveability problems brought about by emission controls, and then with increasingly poor workmanship, that Detroit went down the tubes. I replaced the Nova with a Honda Accord in 1978, in part because I didn't trust American autos any more.

And I once got a ride in a Monza fastback (or one of its Pontiac/Buick/Olds clones). I'll agree with you on that one. My knee kept hitting a vent duct on that side. The interior, in general, seemed rather claustrophobic.

17. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You couldn't be more wrong. Just a few of the cars built during that period that were far from terrible:

1973-74 Trans Am Super Duty 455- a fantastic car. I remember destroying various Ferraris with it at Riverside Raceway during FOC track days.

1987 Buick Grand National /GNX- owned a number of those, too. Minor mods had it running 11's with all comfort items intact. Returned well over 20mpg on the highway, NEVER broke.

1986 Shelby GLHS. Still own this one. On its original engine and still has no trouble showing its tail lights to modern iron on the autoX course(most recently at a PCA event)

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T-still own this "Vanishing Point" car. Looks, sounds and runs fantastic and still turns heads.

Buick GS455-mine was a comfortable, reliable cruiser that would run all day at the dragstrip without complaint and cruise home with the AC blasting.

others include various LT1 Vettes, Shelbys, Mopars and the like.

18. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    I'm noticing a pattern here, a lot of American cars.

19. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'll say the Chevette was pretty awful, but I had fun learning to drive stick in such a beast.

The Chrysler K-cars and the equivalent Plymouth Reliant were absolutely horrible & I still can't believe my mother & grandmother got swindled to buying one of each respectively.

As to the worst I've driven? Can't believe my one word answer hasn't been mentioned: Yugo!

20. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Pontiac G6 rental car. Biggest rattle box I have ever sat in.

21. rydermike

rydermike Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2010
    Spring Hill,FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Donohue
    Toss up between an 1975 AMC Hornet wagon that plowed miseably like a John Deere in corners and had really short gearing hurting top end as well as fuel mileage and early Vhevy Cavalier , rental rattle trap from hell!!

22. rydermike

rydermike Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2010
    Spring Hill,FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Donohue
    Funny you should mention "Vanishing Point" with that Challenger , the car they destroyed into the dozers was actually a Camaro with no driveline , they pulled it thru with a cable into the crash. That early it seem's the Challengers were a bit tight in supply and it was cheaper as well to crash a Camaro.

23. Reece

Reece Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2010
    MMMMMMinneapolis
    Full Name:
    Reece Mikkelson
    #73 Reece, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Changing my answer after a little thinking.

2002 (?) Ford Taurus. Putting it in any gear felt like snapping glass in half, and the gearbox itself, is a boring 4-Speed auto on the column. It's unresponsive, underpowered, and understeers like a pig. Super unadorned as well, it feels like a Tata Nano on the inside.

But I've gotta hand it to Ford, it's not a bad looking car.

The one I drove looks exactly like this:

24. ALPINE6SPD

ALPINE6SPD Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2006
    NJ
    For the money and how many people own them the Lexus RX330 BY FAR. It has some of the worst steering and handling ever. If you start to lose traction you get an annoying beep because Lexus has to warn you to not try and have fun in their cars. You can use the NAV while driving either. I guess a smooth ride is all that matters to the people that buy them because that is the only nice thing about it. That and they can tell their friends they have a Lexus.

25. ALPINE6SPD

ALPINE6SPD Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2006
    NJ
    +1
    GLHS is a classic and one of the most underrated cars of all time.