worst car ever owned | Page 5 | FerrariChat

worst car ever owned

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by SBrooks, Jan 30, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    00 or was it 02 GMC JIMMY

Pure and utter GARBAGE.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I saw that Motor Trend recently apologized about making the Alliance "car of the year". I always thought that award was a bunch of hoowie!

3. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    I had 2 Renault Alliances and an 18i and I never had a problem with any of them . I put over 300,000 miles on each one. I think I put a thermostat in the 18i at 250,000 miles.

4. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I think it is based on who has the biggest advertising budget that year. :)

5. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've never had a "worst" car in the sense of being a lemon, but the geekiest (and now I know, most dangerous)was a 1976 cream/orange Ford Pinto I bought from my cousin.

It was good transportation for a year or so, until I traded up to a '79 Honda Accord LX.

6. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Who among us would like to be reminded of every girl we dated:)

7. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I bought my wife at the time a brand new Chevy Vega hatchback in '72'. Looked fine for the time but a total POS mechanically.

8. SOFTWAREGUY

SOFTWAREGUY Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    Worst car for me was a mid-90's Volkswagon Cabrio.
    An absolute blast to drive, but the repairs and service were dreadful.

In the (perhaps) year that I had it it it was in the shop for two 4 week periods.
    I think they said that the sealed radiator fluids merged into some other fluid.
    Then some electical problem occured.

Finally the transmission went.
    I don't think it was at 50k miles.

9. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Early '80's Mazda GLC hatchback. It was so bad I learned to strip/rebuild and re-install the carb within 20min's and then I got smarter, I ditched it in a Kroger's parking lot, ahh serenity.

10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    My mother owned an 18i. She put well over 200,000 miles on it. It did keep going, but not without major failures. It broke its lower stamped A-arm
    and threw a rod at 12,000 miles(both covered). Now if you want a Renault
    in the US you have to buy a NISSAN.

Worst car my family ever owned was a 1982 Subaru. I have never seen any car rust that bad. A close second was my sisters 240Z back in 1979 that had no floors left and the rear suspension was no longer attached. It only had 60,000 miles. POS!!!!

TT

11. 1ual777

1ual777 F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    1981 Fiat; followed by 1985 BMW. Never again.

12. L8APEXER

L8APEXER Rookie

Feb 22, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    04 Range Rover HSE - My Current car

I love the truck when I have it.

I hate it when I find myself driving a Camry loaner for 20% of the time I have owned it.

If you must get a Range, get a CPO and another car that you like to drive when it is in the shop.

13. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3

What year? What was wrong with it (short version)?

jay

14. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    My uncle had two Austin Marinas back in 1974 (hatchback & sedan), I think they survived for two more years until they were junked / totaled / sold / etc.. by my cousins that were learning to drive about that time.

15. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    No hatchback Marinas. My brother owned an orange GT until the front wheel decided to vote for independence at 70 mph.

16. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    I was amazed Range Rusters had not been mentioned on the this page, but then I saw the post above. Pattern here? RR mentioned at least once per page of this thread. Things that make you go Huhm...

17. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    My worst was 1968 BMW 1600. I swear I thought that car was haunted. Sometimes it would start sometimes it wouldn't, sometimes the wipers would work sometimes they wouldn't, sometimes the lights would work sometimes they wouldn't and of course the heater would only work in the summer.

One morning I started the car to let it warm up was having my coffee looking out my kitchen window...what do I see my car starts to drive off, rolls about 10 feet hits my garage and stalls, I run outside to find the transmission solidly in 1st gear. How in the world that could happen I'll never know but I do know the 1st gear syncros were shot had to come to complete stop to get it in 1st. Well one day I accidentally started off from a traffic light in 3rd went to jam it into first and broke the intake shaft on the transmission that's when I put the ghost to rest.

18. ARH

ARH Rookie

Jul 18, 2009
    Califorway
    This is a fun thread.

I'd like to hear what was problematic/disliked with the Laforzas? And the guy with the Touareg? And even the Grand Cherokee?

19. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

#119 REMIX, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. vteqe

vteqe Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Jeep Cherokee

In 40,000 miles: 3 main seals were replaced, frozen differential due to major oil leakage, 3 power steering pumps. Interior of the back door kept falling off. I pulled the stick shift out of the transmission during the first week after leasing it new. No more jeeps for me! The vehicle was leased. Dealer would not take it back and fought me on the warranty repairs.

21. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    2002 BMW 745il, made me never buy BMW again, I used to rotate between BMW and Merc, now it's all Mercedes no matter what.

Over the 1 and half years I owned it, I had to deal with maybe 10 pretty significant issues! All had to do with electrical.

22. AFRomulus

AFRomulus Rookie

Dec 29, 2008
    I actually don't think I've had a "bad" car yet, after 6 or 7 of them.

I did want to chime in and be the one guy who has been happy with his VW..

I bought a 2004 GTI 1.8T almost three years ago with 12,000 miles on it. I'm almost at 40k now and besides one coil pack going bad ($30 fix) it hasn't had a hiccup. No squeaks, rattles, or moans and it's a blast to drive :shrug:

It's a shame so many people have had bad experiences with them.. I've loved the hell out of mine, so much so that I'm delaying getting a "real" sports car (Z06, 911, haven't decided) so I can keep enjoying this one :)

23. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    2000 Nissan Micra.

Horrible car. Its suspensions where so soft one would feel seasick after a while...

24. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Range Rover = POS!!!!!

...at least my 1998, I have heard the newer models are built better, but there is nothing worse than the POS breakdown mobile that I have endured :(

25. 355 Shwing

355 Shwing Karting

Sep 9, 2009
    Gulf Breeze, Fl
    Full Name:
    Craig Payette
    1985 Nissan 300Z. It spent more time in the shop than it did on the road, even after a new engine.