Worst Car Decade? I Vote '70s. | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Worst Car Decade? I Vote '70s.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by UroTrash, Feb 8, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    thats only in America. The rest of the worlds auto production was put on hold for a little longer. Factories were destroyed. Design work halted for nearly a decade. European automakers took more than a few years after the war to get back on their feet. When they did resume production materials were hard to come by, economies were depressed so sales suffered.

a disaster of a decade all the way around.

2. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Was never a big fan of the 80's and early 90's, boxy cars with zero design.

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #78 Wade, May 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Are you saying that you prefer the lozenge (cough drop) shaped cars of the mid 90's and up? ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    #79 ferraridude615, May 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I always thought they looked like used bars of soap :D

To think, in the 80s this was a performance car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Great thread. I agree with the mid 70's-mid 80's crowd if you happened to live in NA. Guardrails front and back, primitive smog gear and worst of all, the end of annual stamping changes. Those who purchased (American) cars in the 50's and 60's, saw something every year which looked dramatically different, exciting stuff even if they were basically the same underneath. I can't imagine the devout from that age group being enthralled by the sight of new wheel covers five years in a row after witnessing complete restyles every year.

Not to hijack, but in what decade did the Europeans surpass the US in quality and advanced technology?

6. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I say 1955 to 1965 - Mercedes 300SL while we made that Blue Flame 6 Corvette, Porsche from the 356 and then the first 911s, Jaguar XKE, VW beetle lit the economy car fire, and so on. Yes, American cars had them out-powered in general, but that was cubic inches, not technology.

7. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Funny, as I was reading this thread, I had the same thought. Then, I thought about it a little more. I think 80-85 trumps anything, you can keep the 70's. There is just too much terrible about those five years, who needs to add another five?

8. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I agree with that pretty much. Since the question was for a full decade though I figured I would push it back a bit to the VERY END of the muscle car era and go 10 years forward which covers most of that time, hence '73-'83... '75-'85 might be more fitting though... Cars REALLY sucked at that time! They got TERRIBLE gas mileage AND made NO HP! Most were barely crash worthy and if they lasted more than about 100k miles you would just count yourself lucky.

James
    Austin, TX