World's Tiniest Sculptures | FerrariChat

World's Tiniest Sculptures

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by REMIX, Jul 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

#1 REMIX, Jul 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Willard Wigan was born in Birmingham, England in 1957 and is the creator of the smallest works of art on earth. From being a traumatised and unrecognised dyslexic child, he is now emerging as the most globally celebrated micro-miniaturist of all time and is literally capable of turning a spec of dust into a vision of true beauty.

Even he is sometimes at a loss for an explanation as to exactly how he is able to create such treasures. He just gratefully acknowledges that he's been blessed with a God-given talent.

Willard can create a masterpiece within the eye of a tiny sewing needle, on the head of a pin, the tip of an eyelash or a grain of sand. Some are many times smaller than the fullstop at the end of this sentence.

He works in total solitude at a quiet retreat in Jersey mainly at night when there is a greater sense of peace in the world and less static electricity to interfere with the immeasurable precision and tolerances required to create the pieces.

The smallest sculptures can only be measured in thousandths of an inch which is why they can sit, very delicately, on a human hair three thousandths of an inch thick. When working on this scale he slows his heartbeat and his breathing dramatically through meditation and attempts to harmonise his mind, body and soul with the Creator. He then sculpts or paints at the centrepoint between heartbeats for total stillness of hand. He likens this process to "trying to pass a pin through a bubble without bursting it." His concentration is intense when working like this and he feels mentally and physically drained at the end of it.

http://www.willard-wigan.com/index.html
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Amazing!

It's always pleasing to see someone overcome challenges to become expert in something.

3. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    what kind of tools do you use to make things this small in such detail

4. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #4 ylshih, Jul 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Very cool sculptures!

Reminded me of the McLellan motor. 1/64th of an inch on a side, *working* electromagnetic motor built in 1960 on a bet/challenge. William McLellan used toothpicks, watchmaker's lathe and watchmaker tools and spent 2.5 months to make the motor!

5. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Awesome! That takes a lot of skill

6. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    A) I could do that, I just choose not to

B) Were I to attempt such, I would just build a big-ass match stick, take a few pictures and make sure people paid with a wire transfer or some other form of non-disputable funds before they realized that it was not a small sculpture but rather a huge matchstick :)

7. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

Lol

8. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    im a sculptor myself and Ive seen pics of these before..guy truely is a savant..amazing talent.

I just hope that hes somehow being rewarded financially as well as creatively. Artists these days are not valued as in centuries past.

9. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

Unfortunately not until they're dead, then prices rocket up

10. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    A long time ago artists weren't valued at all.

11. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    They weren't?

12. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    .........................HOW???

13. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
  14. audihenry

audihenry Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Henry
  15. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys,
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was in London over the last couple of days for the opening of Willard Wigan's gallery and was shocked when I searched to find a thread already relating to his work on FChat!!

All I can say is wow, and I urge anyone who is in or around London to take the time to see these works, no words or images can convey how spectacular these pieces are and I still cannot comprehend the detail this guy attains in such small scale.
    I am not linked to Willard in any way but want people to see and experience what this man has achieved.
    The address of the gallery is:
    40a Museum Street, Bloomsbury, London, WC1A 1LU
    (between Tottenham Court road and Holborn underground stations).
    http://www.willard-wigan.com/gallery.aspx

He's off to the USA in two weeks to appear on the Oprah Winfrey show and if the opportunity arises to see any of his works, do it!!

Paul

16. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This varied widely, fom culture to culture, time period to time period.

Big generalization, but it's been 35 years since I did art and architectural history...the specifics are long-forgotten. :(

17. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Regarding the tiny sculptures, they're amazing, but I prefer to think bigger.