World's Fastest SUV? | FerrariChat

World's Fastest SUV?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Matt_M, Apr 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Matt_M

Matt_M Rookie

Apr 7, 2005
    Hi:

I work for a company that provides vehicles to the car industry for their technical and marketing programs. I just got a tough question from a client and am appealing to the many members of Ferrarichat for input.

Our clients are considering building a seriously powerful SUV and that they can claim to be "the fastest production SUV on the planet" and have asked me to prepare a list of all their possible competitors in this country and throughout the world. I'd be grateful for any input - especially from people from other countries - on what vehicles should be included in a contest of the world's fastest SUVs.

Thanks in advance for the expert help.

Matt Merritt
    Event Vehicles, Inc.
    Calabasas, CA

2. stax

stax Karting

May 30, 2004
    toronto, montreal
    Full Name:
    --
    X5 4.8
    Porsche Cayennte TurboS
    i think those two are leading not 100% sure

3. 99355F1

99355F1 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    CG
    Gemballa builds a 750hp Cayenne Turbo -- GT750 Biturbo 60 in about 4.2 I think.
    The Cayenne Turbo PowerPackage (extra 50hp over stock TT)is the fastest stock current production
    I think the GMC Typhoon is a little faster than the CayenneTT, but out of production.

4. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
  5. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
  6. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    Currently the fastest "production" SUV would be the Cayenne Turbo or the new Mercedes G55 AMG -- for the last year of production (this year) the G55 has some ridiculously huge motor in it, I'm not sure of the numbers yet but I know it is supposed to be either as fast if not faster than the Cayenne Turbo.

As for fastest SUV period (produced on a smalltime basis, not large enough to be considered full production), someone else mentioned the Gemballa GTR750 earlier, but fudged the numbers a wee bit -- the GTR750 is actually a fair bit more impressive:

750 horsepower
    888 lb-ft torque
    0-60 in 3.9 seconds
    195MPH top speed

I hope your client has some serious resources... :) And I look forward to seeing what they turn up!

7. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    How else would you pick an SUV other than by how fast it is???

8. Carrera_gtcrazy

Carrera_gtcrazy F1 Veteran

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
  9. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    Not production and not as fast as the GTR750.

10. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    I have never seen an official test of the Gemballa. Do you know of one?

11. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    #11 Artherd, Apr 8, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Not standard production. Hell of a beast, and sounds amazing!

13. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    #13 Artherd, Apr 8, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Edited post, you're right. I want that motor in my E38!!!

Here is a pic of the X5 LM, this is one SUV I would NOT kick out of the garage!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Supercarlover

Supercarlover Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Joshua B.
    As far as production SUV's:

Cayenne Turbo
    X5 4.8
    (not out yet) Mercedes AMG ML63

there are tuners that have supercharged Tahoes, Escalades, etc....but as far as production, I believe those will be the main competitors.

The new G55 has a supercharged 5.5 liter V8. It will do 0-60 around 5.5 seconds. Not bad for a huge box on wheels. But, it doesn't handle worth crap and can't turn unless you have half of a block. The three above will be your best bets.

15. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    http://www.fast-autos.net/gmc/gmctyphoon.html

I do not understand how it is pulling a 0-60 time like that if it weighs that much and makes a the power it does. Hell the trany is a 4-Speed Automatic! What is it? Ridiculously low gearing? :confused:

16. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 will be pulling sub 5 second 0-60 times. Those are the only performance stats that I know of. It'll have a 415 hp 6.1 liter Hemi.

17. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Price?

18. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
  19. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The same way the Grand Cherokee SRT-8 is pulling those numbers, AWD. I can easily pull a sub 5 second 0-60 in my AWD Eclipse with only ~300 hp. At the drag strip, I rev it up to 5500 rpms and tactfully engage the clutch, which pretty much means almost just side stepping it.

Edit: Also, with the typhoon being automatic, you can power brake it and that helps the turbo build boost prior to launch.

20. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Did somebody say Lamborghini LM2000?

21. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    We're talking about cars that actually exist and are currently produced ;)

22. 951racerX

951racerX Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Danno
    "I do not understand how it is pulling a 0-60 time like that if it weighs that much and makes a the power it does. Hell the trany is a 4-Speed Automatic! What is it? Ridiculously low gearing? "

Anyone remember that article pitting the Typhoon against a 328? Guess who won? It's not the power that counts in acceleration, it's the torque and weight. Take the torque at any RPM, say... 3500rpm, multiply it through the gearing and final-drive ratios. Divide out the radius of the tyres in feet and you have a linear thrust at the contact patch. Plug into F=Ma to get instantaneous accleration.

Figure torque over any given time-period, say.. 1000rpm increments. Then recalculate for torque at 4500rpm... then 5500rpm.. Basically, you're integrating torque with respect to time to find acceleration.

You can also work backwards from HP if you want. Take average HP across any RPM-spread, divide out time to spin through that RPM-range to arrive at F over that time-interval. Then plug into F=Ma...