World's Fastest Road Car | Page 3 | FerrariChat

World's Fastest Road Car

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Mr. V, Dec 25, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Seems like mostly an emotional attachment here - judging the car objectively, it was spectacular, and only still is spectacular based on its prior achievements.

2. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    You probably might want to check what happened to McLaren after the 1995 LeMans. They were forced to reduce the horsepower.

3. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    The car really look hideous and cheap. And their website is a joke, if they truly want to be taken seriously as a company.

4. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    The Mclaren F1 is a legend very much like any sports team that was great in there generation like the Patriots are today. There probably won't be another car like it for generations that will take the world by storm like the Mclaren F1 did, sure there will be faster cars out there but without a doubt the Mclaren F1 is still the undisputed champ :)

I remember that if that didn't happen iam sure they would have dominated for awhile. But thats my own personal opinion of course.

5. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    I don't know Iam thinking about signing up with the 250mph club they got going on there offical website it sounds pretty cool where you can enter each month to win stuff. I wish ferrari and lambo would run something like that each month heck it gives people the chance if they win to go out to the company and see how these cars are built, meet the founder and go test drive an Aero. But thats if you win :D.

it looks cheap in the photos but in person its not that bad

6. Ferrari250GTO

Ferrari250GTO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    Philadelphia PA
    First off DEFINITELY not a joke.
    The Veyron weighs 2 tons. The SSC weighs 2700 lbs. The Veyron has an ugly front end, and an uglier rear end. It need 16 cylinder and 4 turbos, comapred to the SSC's 8 cylinder and 2 turbos. The SSC probably is half a million dollars cheaper.

On a side note Yes, I agree the Veyron's interior does look amazing.

7. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Um, Ferrari does the samething. It's called, "The Factory Tour", and you don't have to win anything to go see it.

8. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Clearly, it is disputed. I would STRONGLY dispute it.

You mentioned the Patriots. To continue that analogy and apply it to the unseating of the McLaren F1 as 'champ' of the supercars, look at Major League Baseball. In 1972, the Oakland A's won the World Series - a feat which they repeated in 1973, and 1974 as well. By the 1970s in baseball, this may as well have been considered a dynasty, because it is extremely hard to win back-to-back World Series, let alone three in a row. But the A's did it. However, the Oakland A's today? Last year they finished ten games under .500 and ended up only one game away from finishing last in the American League West.

What's my point? The Patriots may be great now, but in a few years, someone else will unseat them, just as someone else unseated the Oakland A's - and someone else, in this case the Bugatti Veyron, unseated the McLaren F1.

The F1 is still a masterpiece, but not based on objective performance. It is only a masterpiece today based on its place in history, much like the Mercedes 300SL (my first car, a 1996 Volvo, was quicker to 60mph than the 300SL), the Lamborghini Miura (the current V6 Toyota Camry is quicker to 60mph than a Miura P400), the Ferrari Daytona, etc. It's still a God, as those vehicles are still Gods - just no longer the reigning performance god - and certainly not the "undisputed champ."

9. kovachian

kovachian Karting

Jun 27, 2006
    central Indiana
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I can't help but chuckle at the irony and hypocrisy in the 'kit car' remarks. Yes, Jerod was a pseudo-Diablo builder but thankfully he stopped. When alot of people look at an eerily close-looking replica people all say, "Why on Earth don't these people just put their efforts into making their own car, and stop ripping off Lambo/Ferrari/blah?" Wouldn't you know it, that's precisely what Jerod and his cohorts do only NOW the popular sentiment changes from cries for originality, to cries about still being a kit. LoL well f**k me running sideways up a hill in the mud, there simply is no pleasing some people is there?

Well as the old adage goes, "Damned if you do, damned if you don't."

10. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Haha - very interesting post. I was unaware of Jerod Shelby's prior ventures. Reading through my on-topic posts in this thread, I must admit I've been far too harsh on his creation. Not only is it stunning that he achieved his dream, but his dream is very stunning. I don't want to take anything away from the Ultimate Aero TT - I still think it's got a low-rent interior, I think it's not a production car, and I think it's no Veyron - but it is still a stunning machine.

Just not as stunning as the Bugatti. :D

11. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004

The Mclaren F1 is a Legend and the Veyron is just another car on the road thats faster. Same goes for the SSC, CCR and all those Turbo vettes, Vipers and such they can all go faster but I highly doubt any of them would accomplish what the F1 did.But you are right by default and age of course it will overtime there will be faster cars but still nothing will be the mclaren F1 regardless of how fast it goes like the Countach and F40 before it they set new standards in the automotive world.

12. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Let me ask you this whats so special about the Veyron?

I have seen this car in traffic once and it looks like a tank on the streets :D, the interior is brillant but that doesn't sell the car at all for me, the 16cynder engine is impressive but was a complete turnoff for me once I heard it had four turbos. Last but not least the price makes me hate the car with a passion because with the same price I could go out there build a garage and fill it with all my favorite supercars/kitcars I have ever dreamed of why would I want to spend it on just a car that isn't the best?. The price tag is paris hilton stupid is the only way I could put it because its ridiuclous totally uncalled for. i don't mean to bash at all in anyway but I can help but ask is it really worth the million dollars when theres plenty of other great cars out there?. it doesn't even best the enzo nor the fxx at the track.

The SSC on the other hand is very impressive and in my opinion is what the Veyron should have been, fast, decent looking, great performer, not an out of this world price tag. Not to mention this is something you could take to the strip and run headsup all day long which is stunning for a supercar in my book to go run 9.7's and look that great. How inovative is that for somebody to go from Diablo replicas to build something like this?.

13. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Well, I'm not one to continue discussing if we're not discussing the facts!

By the way, if you get hung up on the price of the Veyron, you're missing the point.

14. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    The Veyron is soo much more than that. What it managed to bring together is why it's so highly loved. There hasn't been too many cars that can bring speed & luxury together in one like the Veyron has. It's engine alone is a pretty spectacular feat considering that alone was the cause for many years of development. It doesn't matter if SSC's is faster, the Veyron's will always be more impressive because it's way much more than just 2 W8's slapped together with 4 turbos.

15. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
  16. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Actually, the F1 is still on top over the Veyron in a lot of things, its not been totally unseated. Its got better aerodynamics - the Veyron was limited by stupid management trying to make a hit with the press. They both could get around a lot of racetracks in about the same time. It really comes down to whether you like the scream of a NA V12, or the growling noise of a quad turbo W16.

17. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    1+
    Exactly and theres no subsitue for an NA V-12 scream regardless if the competetion has a W16 with four turbos on it.

So far the W16 by itself is impressive but its the turbos thats a complete turnoff for me and sure its got luxury and power together but the car lacks the great looks of a modren day supercar, the thing looks like a tank! compared with the competition. Not to knock on the car at all but there's aspects of this car thats perfection just brillant but other aspects are just straightup ridiuclous. I really think this car could have been much better.

18. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    While talking about record breaking production supercars... the Macca F1 needed to have its rev limiter removed to hit it a record top speed more then 231 (which is still amazing). The fastest car in the flying mile at that time was the Vector W8 Twin Turbo, which was recorded at the Bonneville Salt Flats at 242 mph... limited by rpm and gear set. The Macca F1 recorded its top speed for merely a 1/10th of a mile ( or was it 1/10 km?), and unlike the Vector, only managed this top speed in one direction. For the record books, that is no record. Every Vector W8 is capable of that speed. A small number today may not be in such good working order, largely due to the poor care of the owners... and with old tires, would not be safe to do so today (Michelin stopped making the XGT Plus years back, and wont release the molds.)

Detractors will say "but the vector is ugly" or " but it has a 3 speed automatic" but, it is what it is, and that was the fastest most exotic car money could buy... the Macca F1 wasn't developed through the 80's, and used a more modern bit of kit, such as the Carbon Fibre semi-monicoque chassis, rather then a group-c/ Imsa GTP inspired honeycomb aluminum monicoque in the Vector. The vector is more luxurious, and is heavier, but does better then the production street Macca F1 around a road course, and even pulls higher skidpad numbers then an F40 ( OEM v. OEM), and held its own against the EB110, XJ220, F40, and McLaren F1. Furthermore, detractors will say "but they broke" [the OEM recommended maintained cars have never had serious issues ] or "they failed" ... at the time of illegal takeover by Megatech (responsible for the M12 monstrosity) Vector had nearly 50 deposits totaling about $2,000,000.... or "it wasn't production" ... at one car per month, Vector produces as many cars per year as Pagani, and Koenigsegg do today.

About the SSC v. Veyron. incomparable except in top speed. I don't see why people would have a hard time liking both. I'd have to get some experience with the car to have a proper opinion of it.

19. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I would say the latter... but the former? People tell you they think the W8 is ugly? They're out of their minds. That is probably the absolute craziest-styled car of all time. People who think it's ugly are out of their minds.

+1

20. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    So, because has 4 turbos to carry the weight, it's a turn off? Ookk....As for the design, that doesn't stop it from being a supercar. Looking like a "tank" is just another thing to surprise you since it's quite fast for its weight.
    And what exactly would you have done to make this car better? Because I think it came out perfect, & I believe Bugatti feels the same way. Ferdinand Piech is a genius when it comes to insane cars and this is easily another model of his great work.

21. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    The Veyron I think should have been much better for the price for one and two why the four turbos are they really nessary? with a W16 you would think that its got enough power without the ad of four turbo chargers. I think it would have been perfect without them because that engine is a masterpeace, turbos or superchargers on Supercars are a complete turnoff for me and that goes for the SSC to. Its a love hate relationship with that, when you say turbo charging I think Race car not supercar.

Also the looks don't impress me one bit in terms of looks I think an F40 or a Diablo look better than a Veyron. I still perfer the looks of the EB110 SS over the Veyron and iv'e seen them both in person and my god I love the EB110 it was great! but when I saw the Veyron i was very disapointed.

What happend to the days of the raw power of the V12 engines?. no supercharging no turbo charging just raw muscle and great sounds!.

22. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004

Vector W8 is a very sexy looking machine but again its got a complete racing application for power almost simlaur to what the SSC has today and you are right its got a badass interior and I love the car 100% but again the F1 is more impressive come on now its got 3seats for crying out loud! and no turbo chargers for power no supercharging just raw V-12 muscle for go.

As far as the veyron vs SSC iv'e seen both sat in one of the cars, the veyron maybe the taste buds vairy from person to person me I see nothing special about it, the SSC I like much better since Iv'e had personal experiance with it by getting to peer inside of it, crank it up it was amzing I couldn't complain. But at the end of the day would I pay for one absolutely not id still perfer something such as an F40 or a Diablo than an SSC.

23. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    The raw block in the Vector was of racing application, a Rodeck 366 cubic inch engine (resleavable to 572 CID)... everything else that Vector sourced (95% + is still available today for those looking to keep maintenance on their car) The Engine is very docile and easy to maneuver around at normal speeds, while WOT yields amazing acceleration through all of 1st, 2nd, and a strong pull even in 3rd gear... very unscientifically, I've been 5mph to 150 mph in 12 seconds ... as the car is a custom cut helical gear and shifting mechanism, it shifts on que, and never goes off boost until you let off the throttle... The ships computer recognizes when you put 110 octane in, and you can dial up the pressure to 12psi, and run 1200 hp to the rear wheels.... with fresh tires, the Vector will lift the fronts off the ground a hair on "high octane/high boost" unless it is one of the "secret" cars, which will do that on 91 octane!

I must say, i'm impressed you knew at its heart, the W8 doesn't have a chevy small block ;)

As to saying the F1 is more impressive because it has 3 seats... nobody optioned it, but Weigart had an options list to have 3 seats... the interior is well wide enough to seat 3 (not tall enough w/out further custom seat work for one such as myself) ... There is one Vector w8 in excess of 40,000 miles on the odometer, and a few others above 20,000 miles... to call it a pure racing engine isn't accurate ;) .... the W8 still was faster :p (not 0-60, 0-100, unless on race fuel)

The Veyron is very special... like you with the SSC, I've had quite the experience with one, and been around five different Veyron's in the last year... getting in the car is something special...pushing the Start button, and firing up the unnassuming w16... the dials blipping to life... You grasp the fine leather and titanium shifter and the hairs on your body stand on end... a definite sense of occasion. The perfect feel of the suede / alcantera interior is soft but firm... looking behind you at those massive and beautiful brushed aluminum intakes (IMHO, the greatest piece of automotive art on any car ever built)

After starting the Bugatti, what else to do but to switch the car into handling mode and put that gorgous rear wing up in all of its glory. The car squats down, the wing rises... the movements feel like an epic movie played out right before you, and can you deny the results are Awe inspiring!

From some angles, the car isn't as magnificent, and perhaps "bulbous"... but truly the Veyron is not only an engineering marvel, but a designers pure idea of what a car should look like.... and in the end, it just begs to be driven, and Bugatti want to see you drive it ;)

~~~hehe, sorry for the mega long winded, lotsa linked post :p

24. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Well at least you admit your aversion to turbo charging. But, the Veyron has the same number of turbos per cylinder as the SSC. Also given the displacement of the two engines I'd wager the Veyron has less turbo lag than the SSC if any at all.

Having owned a turbo charged car for the past 9 years I will say they take a bit of getting used to. The up side is if you stay out of the boost you can get better mileage than a normally aspirated car with the same comparable power. But, the power's there when you want it. Downside is a bit of turbo lag. But, modern turbos spool very quickly so it’s not like the old on/off switch they used to be.

I used to hate the Veyron. Now I think it’s become one of my favorites.