World's Fastest Road Car | FerrariChat

World's Fastest Road Car

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Mr. V, Dec 25, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    #1 Mr. V, Dec 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    That thing is a piece of crap kit car.

Bugatti still hold the record IMO.

3. GrndLkNatv

GrndLkNatv Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    Bugatti is for sure, there are more than a hand full on the road. How many of those shelby wanna be cars are on the road?

4. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    awesome original design.

5. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    oh, by the way, that record will only stand until the tr turbine is done.

6. Shumdit

Shumdit Formula Junior

May 9, 2006
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Matthew B.
    I did not click the link, but I assume you mean the Shelby SSC. If so, a few things you might consider:

#1: OLD NEWS

#2: IT'S NOT A SHELBY, or at least not what most of us think when you use the word Shelby in conjunction with a car. Carroll Shelby has nothing to do with this car.

7. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
  8. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Laugh if you like.

Shelby Super Cars (no relation to Carroll Shelby) is the manufacturer of the SSC Ultimate Aero TT.

It is reported that as of this Fall, 7 completed cars had been delivered by the manufacturer, with orders for 25 more.

As for "kit car," I can't say, but I expect the fit and finish does leave a bit to be desired, but for $549,000 vs. $1,300,000, some things probably have to be glossed over.

"Old news" perhaps, but it is SO REFRESHING to see Audi, I mean Bugatti, take a quick left hook to he eye from out of nowhere.

Not "nowhere," exactly: from out of West Richland, Washington (near the Armpit of the Middle of Nowhere).

Beaten by what seems to be a mom and pop operation, no less.

That's gotta hurt.

One SSC dealership is in place in Las Vegas, and another is being readied in Dubai, per report.

One hit wonder?

Time will tell...

9. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    I am not a Veyron expert. Nor am I even a fan of it. But read the article on how it's built, the materials used etc. and then wonder why it's more than double the price.

You won't find Audi A4 power window controls I assure you :D

10. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Three years and this will be a past dream in someones memory. You cannot produce a real contender without the deep pockets to keep the project afloat. The car will never make homulgation.

11. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    The SSC Ultimate Aero TT is a joke.

Let's begin with its name. First, 'SSC,' which stands for 'Shelby Super Cars,' yet has no relation to Carroll Shelby. Sounds like someone's trying to piggy-back on the success of a racing legend? Move on to 'Ultimate Aero.' Why did they let a seven year old name the vehicle? Now, that's the standard car. Only those with 'TT' on the end are the record-breakers. The remainder of the vehicles are, in fact, the regular 'Ultimate Aero' (which, evidently, isn't so 'ultimate' since it's not even the fastest 'Ultimate Aero').

And, how many Ultimate Aero TTs did they build? Um - just one. The one that broke the record. Their plan is to manufacture 25 Ultimate Aeros - ever - of which only ten to twelve will be the TT version. Of course, this may be difficult, as they have yet to sell a TT model. In fact, they've only made about six of the normal ones. How this is considered a production car I have no idea.

Move on to the interior. $40,000 buys better. It's clear the vast majority of the money for each vehicle went to the huge fixed costs in starting up such a venture, since it certainly wasn't spent on making the cars a good place to be.

The money wasn't spent on the engine either, since all this vehicle really is is raw power. The power figure is impressive - 1,183bhp - but that says nothing of its track ability, its braking, its depth, its stiffness - all things praised in discussions of the Bugatti Veyron, which was called, by Jeremy Clarkson, one of its biggest doubters, 'a big Elise.' In fact, these things aren't even discussed in mentioning the Ultimate Aero, whose only positive attribute is breaking this speed record.

I like the title of this thread. "Fastest road car," and not "fastest production car." The SSC is certainly not that - and the Bugatti Veyron certainly is. It's also one of the best, something that can never be said of the SSC.

12. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    You know I used to have a poor opinion on this car but after I saw this thing in person a couple weeks back it changed the way I viewed it ultimately It was love at first sight for me.

To be truthfull the car does look like crap in all the photos and videos but in person its not all that bad at all the qualitly is like that of a Chip foose rod with a kitcar twist a very complete machine and all its really not a bad car for what it is and for me having such a large body frame the thing holds me inside very comfrable compared with most other italian exotic iv'e sat in. The performance is just awsome i mean seriously you can't go wrong with a Twin Turbo racing vette engine that makes roughly 1100hp :) if its performance you want. The only complant I do have is why is the damn thing so expensive? I couldn't imagine paying nearly 700k for it even if it is the worlds fastest car I just couldn't imagine laying down the bucks for one. But at the end of the day I can tell you straight up this ain't just a kitcar on steroids or another Corvette powered supercar this is something totally diffrent.

If the price was right I could see myself driving this but id rather take my money and go buy a 100k Lamborghini Diablo VT at the used car lot or build an Ultima GTR that could spank the hell out of this for less than 100k.

13. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Your right Carroll Shelby wouldn't have nothing to do with this nor Supercars in general but there is another Shelby guy out there but his first name isn't carroll either.

The company did started out building Lamborghini a few years back which started the whole Lamborghini replica chassis movement and the company even built a Diablo replica that was more than capable of beating the orginal. Thats why it looks like a kit but it actually is in the same neighborhood as a kit because the chassis is a Diablo replica chassis! with a C5R racing engine. The design itself is also somewhat lamborghini replicar in itself I remember back when they had there website up the SSC was orginally anounced the public as a new product that one could buy like the FFR GTM or Ultima then they droped off the face of the earth then what do you know this pops up!.

14. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #14 LamboLover, Dec 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I don't think Jerod Shelby can help having the same last name as Carroll Shelby.

And how can they have made one Ultimate TT when there's pictures of many? Or did Jerod's company respray the same one over and over and over?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    Didn't Caroll Shelby do the same thing when he first started out? I remember hearing that they took the same car then painted it different colors after certain events to make it look like there were more than one.

As mentioned before, you have got to give credit to these guys trying. Good ole' American engineering.

cheers

ken

16. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    you people get SOOO butt hurt when a simple, relitivly cheap american car is faster then your mega expensive, over complicated status cars LOL

it happend with the saleen S7, corvettes of all kinds, and now this...

17. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Could easily be a respray, some other small manufacturers have done that before so it appears they have more than 1 car

18. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    So far I have seen SSCs in five different colors and four different interiors. I doubt they swapped out the entire car- they would have essentially been building another one anyways. :p

19. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Relatively cheap? Compared to what, a Lear Jet?

I like this video with Oksana Baiul. You can almost see her tonsils:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHk03WWhlNg&feature=related

20. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    stunning in what I call "electric blue"!

21. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    I guess I should just accept a car with an interior that "leaves a bit to be desired" for "only" 549,000 LOL. I read somewhere, I cant remember, that the build quality sucked. Would take a Veyron over this junk in a sec.

22. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell

Pagani did the same thing. I remember reading a test in EVO or Octane, stating the car they were testing, was actually a different color prior to being updated, and tested again. I think it's been pretty common in the past.

Darrell.

23. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
  24. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I was wrong - the Ultimate Aero and the Ultimate Aero TT are one vehicle - 24 of them will be made in sum. A few exist. However, the regular Aero is wholly different.

Ultimate Aero fact of the day: list price is $585,000 (source), but the first one sold was auctioned on eBay and only pulled $431,100 (source). Sounds like it got off to a good start.

25. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    This is basicly the american Zonda.