Worlds Fastest Motorcycle 354 mph | FerrariChat

Worlds Fastest Motorcycle 354 mph

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Choptop, Sep 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    There is a new worlds fastest motorcycle. Dennis Manning's BubsLiner.

one way pass at 354mph with a return run at 346.937mph... will put the record just over 350mph. Chris Carr was piloting the liner and is now int eh 200mph Club, 300 Chapter.

Sam Wheelers EZ-hook Streamliner is yet to run. There could be yet another worlds fastest motorcycle before Thursday.

Fun stuff.

2. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    WOW that is just insane, Guys must be crazy to go that fast on 2 wheels. Are there any vids of the passes

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That dude has huge balls.

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Hi Choptop! Is this a new record superseeding the Ack Attack previous one?
    I read your other thread with the 242 FIM record for Rocky Robinson.

Now Chris Carr at 350mph. Is that official?

I went to Bonneville in 98 (?), and Rocky Robinson was riding Manning's BUB streamliner then (it was Tenacious II at the time, now it's Tenacious VI), but couldn't go more than 215mph, 'cos of gearbox problems. One of my mates is engineer at Hewland and helped them trying to fix it (jumping out of gear).

Ack Attack is the 'new kid on the block', but Manning really deserves one of his bike to hold the record again. That man has been in record spheres for years: he designed a Norton streamliner, then a Triumph, then several Harleys (one held the title with Cal Rayborn), to finish with his own project, now in its 6th generation, with his own ALL-AMERICAN engine. He has been trying for more than 10 years now.

I can't see Wheeler beating that. He misses his chance a few year back, when there was less competition, because of tyre troubles. The Vincent is nice, but no hope IMO.

Whatever bring the trphy home has all my admiration.

And what about John Noonan, who I read, just broke a record on a CONVENTIONAL turbo Hayabusa at 252mph? Truly fantastic.

5. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Yep, Carr is in at 350 official.

Serious fast.

And Yes, Dennis broke the Ack record set just the day before.

Fun stuff.

What a time to be out there. Reports coming back say its veru exciting, though they are having trouble here and there... communications, and wind storms that pick up in the evening.

Line up early and get the still cold air.

Dunna what Wheeler has got in the shed, but it better be a big stick if he wants to come out and play.

Ack made a couple more passes today in the 347mph range. But went back to the pits to wait for Wed. morning

6. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    Choptop is you avatar a pic of the bike?

7. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Wow he has big balls. I cant imagine what would happen if something went wrong.

8. cntchds

cntchds Formula 3

Oct 22, 2005
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Peter Hatch
    If something went wrong, he would be dead before he realised his mistake. ;)

Peter Hatch

9. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    What I don't get is how the tires can withstand high temperatures & still maintain traction at such high speeds. You would have to replace them after each run, is that correct?

10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Tires are a MAJOR factor in land speed racing.
    The problem is not really technical to start with, but availability.
    Racers can't just easily get tires rated 300mph+.
    Major manufacturers don't want to get involved because of 'product liability' lawsuits in case of crash.
    Goodyear used to make tires in certain sizes, but withdrew a few years ago; I don't know if they are back. Mickey Thompson Tires Company was another supplier.
    Racing tires like GP tires are often not suitable or come only in some sizes: 16". Some racers have used 'shaved' high rated road tires.

It's not really the overheating that's a problem at Bonneville, but the rotational speed that delaminates the tires. Another problem area is keeping the pressure. The centrifugal force tends to pull the tires away from the rim (they are inflated at 60psi) and let the air escape. Also, centrifugal force play havoc with the tire valve, that let pressure escape too.

Overheating is a secondary problem on the salt, but still, with a friction coefficient half of tarmac, the tire on the rear wheel, will spin all the way in any gear and the rider will struggle to keep the bike on line over 5 or 6 miles. That demands lots, lots of concentration.

Believe me, as a long time follower of land speed racing, the motorcycle world record at 342 or now 350, is a big, big achievement.

11. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    No. Thats a picture of my Aprilia Mille, with me aboard from a few years back. I ran it in the Fastest Metric V-Twin prize money class (not going for a record) and won. Ran an AMA #1 plate for a year. Pretty cool. I could have had the AMA 1000cc Production record, but I didnt want to tear down the bike for tech, and I knew it would get broken the next year. It wasnt a "fast" pass as the Salt was WET and I was having MAJOR wheel spin. I never even touched my nitrous button, no use it would have just spun the rear wheel faster. The bike went 151mph, rear wheel was doing 175+mph. Wet sloppy Salt... slick as snot.

12. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Sam Wheeler did a run @ 355mph but had an issue with the parachute and put the streamliner on its side. He's fine. Dont know if the liner is ok for another run at it.

exciting stuff.

two other friends out there have made runs at over 200mph (sit on bikes, not streamliners).

seems like nearly everyone is having mechanical troubles though. Still some fast runs are happening.