Working with an interior designer...How to? | FerrariChat

Working with an interior designer...How to?

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by PeterS, Nov 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    #1 PeterS, Nov 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am going to start a remodel the middle floor of my house that has the living room and kitchen. I have ideas, but do not want to screw it up. I'm after a Tuscany look. The 'Boss' told me we should hire an interior designer. OK, there goes to ego in defeat that I need a architectural designer to help me because I'm not creative enough to do it on my own!

Questions:

1) Seeing if anyone has employeed an architectural designer?
    2) If so, did they give your wallet a good pounding?
    3) Is one at the mercy of a designers' sole opinion on 'what looks good'?

I'm not rich and have to watch every dime on this program. I did at least buy a bunch of balsa sheets yesterday, as I want to build a scale model of the kitchen that I want, as I do have the ability to do the woodwork.

For starters, here is a pic of the current kitchen (That I can widen six feet) and a pic of how I want it to look after remodeling.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott

3. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    JSA....WOW! Thank you for the detailed reply. You covered a few areas that I would not have thought of.

I'll be posting a pic of my living room later looking for a photoshop guru to PShop a wall that I would like to put up in the living room for the dining area. I have a huge living room that I want to 'break-up'.

4. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Sure, glad to be of help.

Get your wife to check with her friends who have done similar work, you do the same...the best refs for architects and designers come through word of mouth.

5. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    What are you looking to spend? Adding a "designer" puts you up a couple of notches in the spending department. "Designers" like to have a great finished product, use "custom" cabinets, etc, etc.

What are you thinking of dollar wise?

We just did a kitchen for a relative, who got the "family discount." Full tear out, drywall, move a wall, new cabinets (HOBO), granite tile counters, bar area, etc, etc, Probably 20 lineal feet. Materials for the kitchen ALONE were 10,000$ (Mid range cabinets, mid range appliances). Now, its only 300,000$ house. If we had hired "pros" to do it, it would have been a 40,000$ job.

The kitchen you are displaying looks expensive :). Granite countertop are about 10,000$ for a good sized kitchen. Cabinets (semicustom) about the same. Multiply by 3 for total cost.

If you hire a designer, don't think you will get your kitchen from homedepot/hobo...

In my mind, the goal of a kitchen remodel is to use stock/available cabinets, but spruce it up so it looks custom. IE. Nice moulding, crown, detail, granite, etc.

A designer/architect is a great idea, but $$$$. Whats your budget?

Did I tell you about the time I had my architect/designer pick out door hardware for one of my buildings??? 3 door latches, $1100. I almost croaked. "But look at how great they look!" Yeah, not 15x better than standard!!!

Good luck with the designer...

6. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Some of the kichen places have designers already. I'd try them ......

7. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    I find this discussion so interesting.

If Ferrari would think the same way, would you buy a car from them? Pinninfarina, who needs them......

Finally you will get what you pay for.

8. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    when i saw the first pic i said to me:
    it s necesary to have a miracle in this kitchen....