Working out for a few months, mood changes? | FerrariChat

Working out for a few months, mood changes?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by tundraphile, Mar 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    #1 tundraphile, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
    I have been hitting the gym every day for 12 weeks now. Usually 30-40 minutes of good cardio work and then as many different weight exercises as I can stand that day. Slowly building strength and especially endurance, I'm probably 30% to my fitness goals for the year.

Has anyone that has done this noticed overall mood changes? I would say they are an improvement, but maybe just...different.

Some things that used to drive me nuts or really bother me before, I find myself never getting worked up over them. I just think WGAF. I just don't care. I don't worry about what my wife thinks, I don't worry about speaking my mind to our friends. Looking objectively I've not turned into a jerk, but I'm sure some can tell a difference in me.

Other times I find myself feeling much more aggressive. It is not that I want to go try to beat the heck out of somebody, but if someone were to start something (physical) with me I doubt I would back away. In many ways I feel like I am 20 again, it almost has to be some sort of hormone changes. If I were single I would definitely be going out as often as I could, with as many women as possible.

At work I find myself more assertive, and it appears to be paying dividends although in the back of my mind I wonder if I am making enemies (and at the same time I don't care). It is wierd, I feel both more and less in control of my emotions at the same time.

It is an adjustment time for me, but overall I would say an improvement. It is almost like it feeds on itself. Working out seems to almost bring a high that makes you want to do it more. Only fatigue, extreme soreness, or practical time constraints stop it.

Anyone went through this when they started getting into decent shape?

2. kali

kali Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2007
    Full Name:
    Elle
    I think that's pretty common, one thing that exercise does is to release endorphins, which are overall feel good hormones. Over time, that builds up and can get entrenched. Also, a regular activity can ground your schedule and that can boost your mood as well.

In any case, congrads on working out steadily and feeling good about it! Keep it up!

3. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Since last August, I've been on a slow and steady program of three ellipse machine workouts per week, and have lost 25 pounds with 20 left to go. If I get down to 185 from 230 over a year, that's great with me.

The only mood changes I've noticed are an increase in self esteem and a sense of self-control, and happiness at easily fitting into clothes that I was bursting out of before.

4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    It's pretty common to experience mood changes.

I'm pretty stressed out right now and after 2 weeks away from the gym, I do feel a bit better, especially when I'm at the gym.

5. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Do you know Tyler Durdan?

6. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    #6 Paul Vincent, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
    Sorry. I misunderstood your post.

7. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I had to google the name. Very interesting. I might have to actually watch the movie or read the book.

8. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Do both.

Line from the movie that I think pertains here.

I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

You'll find as you become fit and visibly strong people will treat you different and you them. You will react differently in many situations. How much does a man who can do one arm pull ups, run a maratahon and gets the look from the other guys girl need to prove his machismo in a world full of obese losers?

9. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    #9 SloW8, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
    My uncle was a vet for racing horses. I used to take stuff from his office before working out. It made me really moody, but man I saw some gains!

10. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Ha! Fight Club anyone?

11. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I definitely mellow out when I'm on a heavy fitness program. It takes a LOT for me to feel an endorphin rush, but if I push it I can eek one out on occasion (normally after vomiting a few times from exertion).

But your testosterone level will rise if you are lifting a lot of heavy stuff, which might explain the aggression. For me, Prozac has got nothing on a few 500 pound deadlift singles.

12. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I had a definite upward mood swing today...weighed in after workout and I'm at 200 lbs., 4 oz., 2 lbs. down since same time last week.

25+ down, 20 to go.