Wondering about the 400i | FerrariChat

Wondering about the 400i

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by NickinLA, Dec 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NickinLA

NickinLA Karting

Feb 12, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Nick K
    Hi all:

I saw a red 400i on the street this morning and it reminded me how much I have always liked that model. I own a 1988 328 GTS and know very little about the 400i. I looked online and found precious few for sale. Anything to look for in this model (I believe that post 1983s may be best)? What is the typical price range?

Happy holidays to all.

NickinLA

2. Scott Ales

Scott Ales Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Eustis, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Scott Ales
    The first consideration is to decide if you want a manual or automatic. And don't leave out the 365 GT4 2+2 which is the earlier version of the 400i.

Cheers.

3. NickinLA

NickinLA Karting

Feb 12, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Nick K
    Thanks Scott. I had not considered the 365. At first blush, the thought of an auto transmission in a Ferrari to me is anathema, but I read that 2/3 of the 400s were delivered with auto. And I believe that it was a GM auto transmission, so at least the transmission must be relatively unkillable and not expensive to maintain. I think the pre-82 models were carbed, which made emissions more difficult (a particular consideration since I live in CA).

4. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I have a 77. that yr. is carbed. if model says 400, it is carbed. 400i means injected. be sure you have money for repairs. most have been sitting about and have needs that you discover after you own the car. I have spent big dollar getting mine where i want them. 5 figures comes very quick

5. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    79 was last year for carbs. The interior from the 365/400 continued with the 400i until the series II starting in 83. This interior was only slightly modified through production ending of the 412 in 1989.

6. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    #6 Schumi, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I created this pre-purchase inspection checklist for a Series I 400i, but a Series II isn't that much different. Hope it is useful to you should you find a car you are interested in.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    OP - I'm wondering why you haven't yet bought Frenchie's twin-turbo 400i :) (really, it would be on my list to see if it was still available).

But, IMO, the best answer to any of your inquiry is to just read this whole section cover-to-cover - you'll pick-up some good, and varied, things just by osmosis. Daren's list is really through, but prior to getting there (because that requires some serious fees on a non-Dealer sale), one thing in the pre-screen that would influence me (for a CIS-injected car) is recent demonstrated actual regular use. For any jewel coming out of a tomb, I'd include a deduction of value for potential storage degradation risk -- even if it worked perfectly now -- JMO.

Best of Luck with your search -- it's a fine and worthwhile vintage you seek...

8. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Daren,
    That's a thorough list. I'd consider adding a check for excessive oil in the valley between the cylinders. That flex line can get brittle and start leaking.
    The engine coolant shouldn't be milky which indicates oil in the mix, possible from the o-rings or worse.
    With the car up on lift check for play in the diff flange/ cv joint.
    Check age of fuel lines.

9. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Great suggestions! I'll add those, wait for a few more suggestions/additions/deletions before I re-post it.
    Thank you.

10. NickinLA

NickinLA Karting

Feb 12, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Nick K
    Thank you Daren. Wow, I wish I had a similar list when I bought my 328.

11. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    I would also see how much adjustment is left for the timing chain. If due this can be a very expensive exercise.

12. Bud Byrnes

Bud Byrnes Rookie

Sep 13, 2014
    #12 Bud Byrnes, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2014
    NickinLA, That might well have been my 400i. I just bought this 400i a few months ago, but I do drive it several times a week...

It's Corso Rossi w/ tan interior and it's in fabulous condition only 14k miles. Julian at Winning Makes in Sta Barbara took care of it.I'm surprised how much attention it draws.

13. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ...well as of today, someone else is the owner, coincidentally he also owns a black 360CS (obviously has good tastes ;) ) I am keeping the other NA 400i for now but considering I have driven it less than a 100 miles in the last 1.5 years, maybe it's time to let someone esle enjoy it... :)

14. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    How exactly is this done?

15. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    #15 Al Campbell, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Have a look at the adjuster which is located behind the bottom alternator. If it does not have at least a few turns of thread left visible outside the locknut then you will be up for a major expense in the near future.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Great info. I will add that check to the checklist.

17. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Another one to add is to make sure the oil pan drain plug threads are in good shape. Ask me how I know!

18. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Are there any that haven't been stripped out?

19. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Mine isn't...

20. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    that are not stripped. I did sell one that was. an easy fix. self tapping plugs are a common thing

21. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    It isn't always an easy fix depending on what previous fixes were applied...

22. rrbnut

rrbnut Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2015
    Carlsbad San Diego
    Full Name:
    Klaus Reichardt
    thanks so much for that great list; will use it as I am looking at a 1983 400I this week

23. MrKazimi

MrKazimi Karting

Oct 7, 2014
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Dr. Mohammad
    I will utilize this list for my search.
    Thanks for sharing.