Wondering about McCall event in Monterey during car week... | FerrariChat

Wondering about McCall event in Monterey during car week...

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by TTR, Jul 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Having been going to Car Week for two+ decades, but never attended one these Wednesday evening events at airport since they appear being more like a marketing junket for various corporate and vendor “sponsors” showcasing their products rather than car event/show.
    If so, why are attendees expected to pay entry ? Or am I missing something ?
    Just curious.

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    No one with experience or insight ?
    I was offered a complimentary access/ticket, but have an invitation to another (private) party same night and trying to decide which, if either, to attend.

3. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    No personal experience, but a few car friends have gone and said they'd never go back...too stuffy and just not their type of crowd. Of course, I'm sure there are others who probably feel the opposite. Why not go to McCall's event for a little while to see what you think? If it's not for you, head over to the private party.

TTR likes this.
  4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thanks for replying and good suggestion, but unfortunately events are not close enough and schedules overlap too much to leisurely enjoy both, especially when I’ve heard or read the parking arrangements at McCalls being somewhat of a cluster***k.

It’s just that McC’s advertisements seem to suggest the focus of their evening is more like a marketing event/party with maybe few vintage cars (=my interest) sprinkled in between.
    If so and unless there’s a plenty of interesting vintage cars not seen at other venues throughout the week, my choice is clear, but wish to confirm before committing to either.

5. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Well have you checked out their promo video yet (). Looks like a semi formal event with lots of planes, new cars and plenty of eye candy. Definitely not my kind of event and the video reflects what I've been told by casual, laid back friends who have attended.

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thanks Ron,
    Your comments and attached video confirmed my suspicions about the event being more like marketing and social gathering.
    While I also appreciate (some) vintage airplanes, this doesn’t seem like a setting to enjoy them.
    If I had interest in modern/new cars, I could go to any number of SoCal dealerships or numerous events where they congregate and since I’m not in the market for girlfriends, watches or private jets either, this doesn’t appear to be my kind of event, even if no cost to attend.

SoCal1 likes this.
  7. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Only if you like private bizjets . Last year or so I saw a Pagani there but that's it for exoics and some vintage Ferraris. I can't see why the security is so ramped up--is some bigwig attending that requires such security? As for fetching lasses, I'd rather see a vintage racing Ferrari...they keep their looks longer (sexist piggery...right!)

8. Xtreme5053

Xtreme5053 Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 20, 2006
    I’ve gone a few times, exhibiting this year. It’s fun, lots of vintage planes. My favorite was hanging out in a DC-3 for a bit.

If it’s good enough for Wayne Carini, it’s good enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Who’s Wayne Carrini ?

10. Xtreme5053

Owner

Aug 20, 2006
  11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Oh, one of those TV characters. No wonder I haven’t heard of him as I don’t or haven’t really watched any TV programs for 25+ years and the few I’ve seen glimpses of, including couple of vintage car related “reality(?)” shows, none have enticed me to waste my time on such nonsense.
    Heck, I can still remember +/- 20 years ago declining to be (in) a TV show “documenting”(?) my work.

12. Xtreme5053

Owner

Aug 20, 2006
    I wouldn't really refer to him as a "character". If you ever cared to watch an episode you'd see it's filled with automotive history, finding/negotiating/acquiring inventory, and client advising. When I ran into him he was unveiling his custom-made Moal roadster.

https://www.f40.com/

13. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Mr Carini is a car enthusiast whom collect a few but makes a living flipping relevant cars
    In a nut shell

14. GentlemanShark

Feb 8, 2019
    Mountain View, California
    Full Name:
    Stuart Trappe
    I'm not sure if you are able to, but if you don't intend on going, I would most certainly appreciate if you would allow me to use your invitation. I'm quite intrigued by the event and it combines a great deal of my interests.

15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Sorry, but the "access", if becoming available, already promised to a friend.

16. GentlemanShark

Feb 8, 2019
    Mountain View, California
    Full Name:
    Stuart Trappe
    No worries! Just figured I'd check to see if I could somehow manage to get into the event.

17. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I think they do offer admission for a fee and supposedly manage to sell more than few.

18. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    just go to the mcCalls website .. they sell tickets and I think they are still available ... I have gone the last few years I like it
    not a big deal but something to do on Wednesday since I am traveling 3000 miles for the week