Wishing Bob & Nadine in the journey & race ahead... | FerrariChat

Wishing Bob & Nadine in the journey & race ahead...

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Doug Kless, Aug 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug Kless

Doug Kless Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    The Best of Luck!!!!

As Bob is such a good friend to the group, I thought this merited some space...

Hi all,

Many people have been asking, so we wanted to give everyone an update on our efforts and schedule for Targa Newfoundland.

At this point, we think we have just about everything ready except for a few minor last minute details and some packing still to do. The car is being loaded on the trailer and leaving on Monday, August 3 to start it's 32 hour journey North. We will meet it in Halifax, NS on Thursday and take it across the 15 hour ferry ride to Newfoundland. Once we get there, we will drive another 2 hours to St. Johns, NF, where we will meet our crew and the event begins.

We've developed a website for the race team www.naroescapemotorsports.com.
    On it you will find a few videos from last years Targa and from a few PCA Club Races. Pictures and more videos should be up in the coming days, so check back every once in a while and see what's there. Once we get back, we'll be populating it with 2007 Targa stuff.

To gain a better understanding of what Targa Newfoundland is all about, please go to www.targanewfoundland.com. There's a wealth of information there, including the route we're taking, video clips, pictures, etc. You can even follow our progress by clicking on the "Event Tracker" link once the competition starts. Additionally, you can go to http://www.rallyscoring.com/results/index.htm and see daily progress as they update it.

This year, we are not only competing for our class and overall win, we are on teams for various special coveted awards: The Kenzie Cup and the Churchill Motorsports International Team Trophy. The Kenzie Cup is awarded to the recognized marque (Ford, Porsche, Volvo etc.) team that scores the lowest three-car aggregate of penalty points throughout all portions of the event. We are on a team with other Porsche 911's, one of which was the overall winner last year. We won the Kenzie Cup last year and hope to do it again in '07.

The Churchill Trophy is presented to the national team of three cars that accumulates the lowest aggregate of penalty points throughout all portions of the event. We are on Team USA with one of the other Porsches and a BMW team from NY.

All in all, I think we can be pretty competitive this year. We have more experience, a better prepared car, and a good support crew. Many thanks go to the team at Continental Tire and Bill Dunster at Autobahn Collision Center. Without their support, this would not be possible.

I'm going to try to put updates on the Clubstuttgart.net website. Go to www.clubstuttgart.net, click on Racing, then the thread for NaroEscape Motorsports at Targa Newfoundland 2007. or a direct link here
    http://www.clubstuttgart.net/showthread.php?t=947 When I have internet access and some free time, I'll post stuff up there.

Keep an eye on our progress, and we'll give everyone an update when we return.

Wish us luck!!

-Bob & Nadine Saville
    NaroEscape Motorsports
    [email protected]

2. naroescape

naroescape Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Bob Saville
    Doug,
    Thanks for the encouragement. We hope to bring back some awards and make Carolina Sports Car enthusiasts proud!

the cars left yesterday, we leave Thursday, and the fun begins next weekend.

I'll try to keep everyone up to date as we can.

-Bob

3. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Good Luck Bob! Be safe up there.

4. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch

Good luck :) !!!

I'm currently driving my friend's '83 911 SC (with a Whale tail :D , thank you!!) while he borrows my xterra to move... it has been a blast to be behind the wheel of something remotely performance oriented, since I parted ways with my TR :( !! I can certainly see the reason for loving an air cooled 911 :D

5. naroescape

Oct 27, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Bob Saville
    #5 naroescape, Sep 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Drive a 993 and you will be even more impressed. They are much faster, more comfortable, and handle a ton better.

then again, you could drive around in our 914 that we're using for Targa and negate any and all creature comforts!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch

I'll definitely have to drive a 993, and let it impress me :D

As for creature comforts... well, I can overlook those for the pure enjoyment of a good ride :)

And the 911 SC is no slouch!! The other night I pulled away from a Honda S2000 at XXX mph ;) (I don't want to violate F-Chat's new rule :rolleyes: )

7. rated///M

rated///M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Trevor Ely
    Good luck Bob & Nadine!

Try to keep us up-to-date with what's going on!

8. naroescape

Oct 27, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Bob Saville
    Well, things did not go the way we wanted.

Instead of rehashing everything again - and I'm tired of telling the story, go here http://www.clubstuttgart.net/showthread.php?t=947

I'll keep updating as I think of things.

Lets just say it was the absolute worst 10 days of my life....

-Bob

9. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Well Bob I'm glad you guys are ok! Did you get a picture of the launch ramp? I'm sure that was one heck of a ride.

10. Doug Kless

Doug Kless Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Holy cow Bob!!! Thank God your both O.K....Did the experience sour you enough to possibly pass on the 2008 event?

DK

11. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Whoa..........

12. naroescape

Oct 27, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Bob Saville
    I wouldn't say sour, more that we now don't have the time, or money, to rebuild the car any time soon. Not counting the loss of the car, this year probably cost us $5000 more than it should have. Then add in the cost of rebuilding it.....

The big issue is time. It took us 9 months to get this car even ready for last year, then 2-3 months this year tweeking in to make it perfect..and it was. It drove as good as you could ever want in a 914. Handled perfect, great acceleration, great shifting, just wonderful. Last year we spent every free night and weekend getting this car together. Same with July and August this year. I just can't do that again. Especially with Porsche Parade coming up in Charlotte in 2008. I'll have my hands full with that, for sure.

anyway, I'll just have to concentrate on club racing for the year. Maybe run a few tracks that I haven't had a chance to yet.

-Bob

13. mambodave

mambodave Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    Dave
    So sorry Bob.

Look on the bright side. At least you have that spare 914 you just bought.

14. naroescape

Oct 27, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Bob Saville
    David,
    Yes and no....yes I have the car, but I really can't use it as a replacement since it is no where near street legal, and it would take more money and time to make it streetable than it's worth. It's a pure track car, of which I already have one of those. I bought that car for the engine, to put into Huey..... I may still keep the engine and sell the car, just in case Bill Dunster is able to resurrect Huey...

BTW, I posted up more pictures of the wreck at the scene. go to the Clubstuttgart.net link above.

15. rated///M

rated///M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Trevor Ely
    Bob & Nadine,

I really hated to hear this news about 'Huey', but am really glad you are both in good shape. I was blown away by the job that Dunster did while at the event, that's amazing!

Anyway, on behalf of everybody @ Porsche of Hickory, we're gald to hear you both are all right.