Wiper speed repair, finally! | FerrariChat

Wiper speed repair, finally!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Alden, Mar 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #1 Alden, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My wipers have only worked on intermittent and slow speed since I bought the car almost two years ago.

I have asked here several times about how to fix it and was always pointed towards the main switch internals (remove the steering wheel) or the fuse/relay box.

My headlights stopped working the other day so I did the fix described here:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/375441-headlight-switch-problem-fixed.html

Turns out the wiper stalk is exactly the same. Same disassembly procedure (don't lose the ball and spring!) same internals. Twisting the wiper stalk makes the wipers change from low to high speed.

My solder joint was broken on the top wire, just like it was on my headlight stalk.

A quick fix with the soldering iron and now, for the first time since I bought her, I have dual speed wipers in addition to the intermittent operation.

Pics below. See the separated red wire held off by the knife blade.

The last pic is the headlight stalk internals from that repair thread.
    Alden
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Does the end piece just pry off and snap back on?

3. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #3 Alden, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, with a couple of tricks-

There is a round black retainer piece towards the center of the wheel at the end of the stalk tip end piece that you have to remove first, simply pry it back from the rotating end part with the knife blade to get it started and slide it down the stalk.

Then, place the entire end of the stalk assembly in a plastic bag so you won't lose the detent ball and spring if they fly out, mine stayed put in both my headlight and wiper stalks, the balls where held to the springs with a generous quantity of grease.

Then pull straight out on the end of the stalk, no tools needed. The end piece will simply slide off.

It is also good to turn the switch to a known/repeatable position when you remove the end piece so you can put it back in the same position without "feeling" for the correct position, though I had to do that and it worked fine too.

I also cleaned the copper contacts and the solder joint surface with contact cleaner and a mild abrasive - a fine fingernail file. And I also put a drop of Deoxit on the contact surfaces too.

I used some hemostats as a "heat sink" at the inside part of the copper to keep the heat of the soldering iron from transferring to the plastic parts of the assembly. I also used a thick piece of cardboard to separate the copper contacts during soldering for the same reason.

It might not be a bad idea to re-assemble the parts enclosed in a plastic bag- you have to push down on the detent ball a bit to get the end piece started and it could fly off again in the reassembly process.
    Alden

mjbcswitzerland likes this.