wiper clip | FerrariChat

wiper clip

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Ewan, Apr 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    Does anyone know where I can obtain a wiper clip (the inch long bit of black plastic that attaches the wiper blade to the metal wiper arm)? Here in the UK I've tried Maranello parts department and Europsares, but with no joy. The clips they have are either too short or not quite wide enough, even though there are listed as the correct ones.

Any help much appreciated.

(This is for my 1979 400i)

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    You'll be searching forever for an original plastic part because they're metal from the factory. Mine are on my 400 so you have aftermarket blades.

3. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    A metal one would do nicely, so if you know where one can be had, please let me know. I would have though finding the correct size of clip would have been easy given that the wiper arms won't be bespoke to the 400 - I assume the same arms were used on other Ferraris (and maybe other marques) of that period. But the search is proving to be worryingly difficult!

Given that the car will not pass an MOT without the wiper blades, the car will be off the road for the sake of one small bit of plastic that must have been produced in thousands. Crazy.

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I would just buy a pair of off the shelf Bosch wiper blades. Comes with a variety of plastic adapters to fit most arms and these arms have an end on them that's common to many cars.

5. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    I though that. But actually, none of the Bosch clips fit. Of course, the original parts were Champion (as per the F1 teams sponsorship of the era). The wiper arms for the 400 are unique to the car apparently, being slightly thicker than those used on the junior Ferrari of the time, the 308/328. Hence the modern Bosch bits are either too short or too narrow.

Ferrari UK can't help either, so if the worst comes to the worst I'll either have to bond a slightly incorrectly sized part on, or change the wiper arm to one of a more standard size.

But according to the Ferrari mechanics I've spoken to, this is becoming an increasingly common problem.