Wiper blades | FerrariChat

Wiper blades

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by moserpe, Jul 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moserpe

moserpe Karting

Jul 20, 2006
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Moser
    After my first long trip during rainy days, it became evident that I have to fit new wiper blades on my 1983 400i. No doubt they are available from the official F- Dealer, however knowing their price policy, I'm checking for alternatives. Does anyone in this forum know a crossreference to a more common car type?
    During the same trip I noticed a sudden lack of oil pressure, which was fortunatly only a bad contact in the pressure tradsducer fitted on the top back end of the engine block. Same question here: was the same trandsducer used in any more common car (someone guessed Alfa Romeo? Which model?)

Thanks and regards

Peter

2. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Peter,

I believe Napa has them avaiable here in the States....I also noticed recently that Bosch is in the wiper blade market, maybe they could X-reference the Napa #.....

Left-hand Drive
    Driver's side--19" #60-1914
    Pass. side----18" #60-1814

Here's a link to Ebay for the oil pressure switch available @ Overstock.com.....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FERRARI-246-308-365-400-512BB-Oil-Pressure-Switch-New_W0QQitemZ180295581293QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item29fa743e6d&_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

Good luck,
    Bruce

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Peter,

Do you need the entire wiper structure (rubber and metal) or just the insert (rubber)? The insert is a standard size and can be purchased at most auto parts stores. I believe there are two standard thicknesses, so just bring your existing wiper along and match it up. Oh, one important tip: When you remove your wiper blades, immediately and gently lower the arms onto the windshield! If you don't, and the arm is accidently disturbed, it will hit the windshield with enough force to break the windshield (if you look at through this section, you will quickly realize the headaches this will cause)!

Regards,

Art S.

4. moserpe

moserpe Karting

Jul 20, 2006
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Moser
    Hi Bruce and Art,

thanks for your quick replies.
    I have already checked with Bosch for the wiper blades. They don't have them. Since I do really need the rubber lips only, I may be able to find them in an auto parts store here in Switzerland as suggested by Art. By the way: I'd not notice before, that the two blades are of different length! Very unusual!
    With reference to the oil pressure sensor, the link given by Bruce is perfect. The price is reasonable, but will be double when I will have it here (DHL, customs fees and taxes). I will now check price and availability from the F- dealer and will decide for the more favourable source.

Peter

5. laperriere

laperriere Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Montreal
    Hi, I encountered two problems with this part : 1/ oil leak 2/ when I stopped the engine, and then restarted the engine let's say 10 mns later, the pressure light was on for some time, there was apparently no pressure (seen from the dashboard).

I had it replaced from a Bosch workshop : what they said is that the information conveyed by the old part was sometime not reliable, (which explained the 'no pressure- red light on' occasional situation).
    I paid 50 euros for the part. If you want, I pm you the workshop address and you can order this part. I can even collect the part for you and send it to Switzerland.

Olivier

6. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, it's funny, one is 19" and the other is 18" although it seems that there is no reason that both could not be 19".

John

7. moserpe

moserpe Karting

Jul 20, 2006
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Moser
    Hi Olivier,

My car has independent switches / transducers for the warning light and the pressure gauge. The reason for the delayed build-up of the oil pressure in my car are the oil-filters. Although they are according to Ferrari specification, the FRAME seem to leak oil through the built-in check valves. The problem was definitely less evident with the UFI types. I can also verify this fact by the sump oil level: it is lower immediately after stopping the engine than after say half an hour or so. this has been discussed in this Forum before. The general attitude was that there is no harm to the engine as long as you wait until the pressure has built up before you increase the rpm.

Peter

8. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    I need to replace my wiper rubbers too; I recall looking at them last winter and being a bit confused as to how you get the rubbers out from the wiper grips. Anyone got a tip for doing this?

Regards, Ray.

9. caspian575

caspian575 Karting

Jun 12, 2007
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Roger Hayes
    I clean and seal my screen with the Carlack system. It say's don't only use your wipers for washing and cleaning your screen as the Carlack sealer is designed to keep the glass clean by repelling water - it simply beads up and rolls off. In reality you need to be pushing on a fair whack for it to keep the screen clean but when used in conjunction with your wipers the action is super smooth. The blade just glides across the glass. Bugs are less of a problem as they tend not to stick to it either. In the UK you can get it from

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-amp-exterior/carlack-glass-sealing-kit/prod_348.html

I have no idea where you will find it outside the UK but it is worth searching for. I think RainX may produce a similar result

Caspian

10. Radiogeek1

Radiogeek1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2008
    Pleasant Ridge, MI
    Full Name:
    Bret Scott
    I checked www.rockauto.com to see which of the wiper blade manufacturers carry replacement wiper blade assemblies using the bayonet-style wiper arm. While I've had good results with the Bosch Icon blades on all of my other cars, they don't seem to make one that works on the bayonet mount, however AC Delco, Anco and Trico do. I'll likely go with the Trico NeoForm beam blades, which are of the sleek jointless style, and I believe their model numbers are 16-180 and 16-190:

http://www.tricoproducts.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=5153&location_id=5214

Bret

11. Radiogeek1

Radiogeek1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2008
    Pleasant Ridge, MI
    Full Name:
    Bret Scott
    #11 Radiogeek1, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi, all-

Out of curiosity, after reading this post I purchased several different wiper blades to see which would fit the original wiper arms, only to discover that the bayonet style used on this car (and several other Italian models from that era) are not common with the ones that are produced now. It's a bit wider, and so the new wiper adapters won't fit. In my search for original replacement Arman-brand wipers, the only source that seemed to have them was charging a rather steep amount for them (around $150/pr!). So, my info on available wipers from www.rockauto.com was not exactly good info.

It is possible to replace the rubber inserts on the existing wiper frame. I used Anco 11-18 and 11-19 refills (the right side is longer).

If the rubber inserts have never been changed, then it will be necessary to snap off an end of the existing wiper inserts in order to install the new ones. The photos show what I did. One end of the wiper blade insert has notches that secure it to the frame. I used pliers to snap off the end, allowing the insert to easily be pulled out of the frame.

Bret
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    This post was just what I was looking for! Did you attempt to re-fix the snapped off ends at all? And if not, I assume the blades have stayed put and not slid out during use?

Thanks, Ray.

13. 300man

300man Karting

Mar 19, 2010
    Funny, I just completed a long trip in France with a total of 500 miles of rain in a few days.
    I'd just replaced the rubber in the fashion described in the above post, after a fruitless search for full blades that would fit the bayonet. I was originally worried that they might separate from the blade with use without the end bit, bit they're still held tight anyway.
    I got the proof with the horrendous weather! They do stay on, for hours at a time!

Happy driving!

Eric

14. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    While there is no real need to have 2 different size blades, the engineering reason is for overlap when using the wipers. The longer blade removes the water from the end edge of the shorter blade.

With cars of our age for saftey reasons I would advise replacement of all exterior comonants. The original arms have a spring to hold the blade against the glass. This sping weakens over years. There are slide joints on the blade assembly that will wear and cause binding and uneven wiping action.

So for a perfect solution to proper wiping action, replace the arm, blade/rubber assembly. Also when installing new blades, there is a packet with an alcohol wipe included. Most folks just throw it away. The reason it is included is to wipe the film and oil off the glass,to help the wipers clean the glass.

Howard Musolf
    1982 400i Cabriolet
    Maserati spider
    2 many brass era cars

15. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Followed your directions - Thanks!

16. galbert

galbert Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2012
    sud ouest france
    Full Name:
    Galbert Christopher
    salut a tous nous avions changes nos balais d'essuis glace
    cela nous avait coute 21€96 TTC
    referance: VALEO 574112
    (pour Renault clio2)

17. galbert

galbert Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2012
    sud ouest france
    Full Name:
    Galbert Christopher
    si cela peux aider certains d entres vous n hésitez pas je pourrais vous en acheter et vous les renvoyer

18. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Vous Galbert Merci - Je vais bien, je pense.