Wiper Balde Positioning? Roof Snaps? | FerrariChat

Wiper Balde Positioning? Roof Snaps?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by moysiuan, Jan 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #1 moysiuan, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    While scrolling through the Mondial pic thread, I noticed that the windshield wiper placements vary how close to the cowl they are, some quite a bit higher up especially on the drivers (left) side. I never noticed this before but mine seem a bit on the high side. Does anyone have a front on pic of the Mondial from a factory brochure that identifies exactly how these would have been oriented from the factory? I know its just cosmetic, my wipers work fine, albeit I am rarely in the rain. But I may as well orient things the way intended, unless mine are indeed as intended. My car is so original, I actually doubt these wipers have ever been moved.

On a second unrelated question from looking at the pic thread, some Mondial cabs have more convertible roof tonneau snaps on the sides, while other have just one in the front and back, like my 88 Cab 3.2. Does not seem year dependent although early QV years seem to have them, I have noticed some wind lift at high speeds on mine so am surprised the earlier models would seemed to have dealt with this verses later models, included some (all?) t's which seem, to have only two snaps. Is it specific to Euro verses US or something (mine being Swiss, with an original roof still in perfect condition!).

A couple of pics:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Can't help you with the wipers, but it is my understanding that the additional snaps on the sides are not OEM. They were added (by?) to stop lifting of the tonneau at speed, which I am told does not happen anyway.

The extra snaps are not the OEM Tenax type, but regular snaps like you would see on a boat cover and such.

I have the extra snaps on mine.
    Alden

3. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #3 MvT, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I placed min horizontally which gives me a better view on the pillar side. additionally cleaning becomes more easy reaching the space below using a towel. Mine were close to the trim. However, yours seem indeed a bit high end. Here is a brochure photo on which they are just half an inch from the trim.

4. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    After I bought a new leather boot cover I added the extra snap in the middle because at high speed the new leather cover seemed to lift more than the old heavy canvas cover.
    Andy

5. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Thanks for the brochure photo, makes sense to tuck them lower, I suppose I will just test to make sure still gives good drivers coverage when oriented a bit lower.

Looks like the extra snaps are practical solutions for the cars case by case, good to know.

6. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    My 85 euro has three snaps. Autobahn maybe???

7. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Very good wiper placement and reminds me to set mine properly. My passenger side wiper actually moves off the window over the surround bottom strip. Very bad etiquette since it has worn some of the black off.

8. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I guess that is also the charm of an old car :)

9. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    "Parallel" to the windshield finisher = same distance of the blade ends to the finisher, and both blades the same distance.