Wipe out | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Wipe out

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Lino, Jun 18, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Yes real lucky. I am still wondering how the hell I got out of it. I thought after the second skid I was going in the ditch.

Is the 930 that bad?

2. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #27 JoeZaff, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
    I don't know if I would describe it as bad, they are incredible cars, but IMHO definitely not a car for amateurs.

From my limited experience, old 911's in general require a bit of mental rewiring. Most people are wired such that if they get into trouble while turning, their first instinct is to hit the brakes. If you do that in an old 911 you will be off the road before you can blink. A friend of mine preps 911s for racing for a living, he often jokes that he wants to put a sign across the windshield that says DON'T LIFT!!!!

You can actually feel the weight of the rear of the car as you enter a turn at speed, the MORE gas you give it, the less squirrelly it gets, lift at speed and things get hairy so incredibly fast. Not a car you want to push hard on an unfamiliar road.

At least that is my limited experience.

That being said, I enjoy driving them immensely...they are WAY TOO MUCH FUN!!!!

3. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    It's not for the unskilled. Great fun, but tricky at the limits.

4. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #29 Michael B, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
    Heck, I had two, a 1978 (untamed 441 HP) and a 1991 (tame & 450 HP). I thought neither of them were widow-makers. But I know a lot of musicians / athletes / doctors & lawyers that crashed them.

The 911 turbo just needed to be respected. Always seemed odd to me that regular guys could not handle them.

5. B-26

B-26 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2009
    Glen Mills PA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Joe Zaff got a glimpse of this in his rear view.

I'm a 328 driver with the same tale to tell. Bottom line I think, across the board, is driving to fast. On a road I was not familiar with, did I mention to fast ? ON THE BREAKS to late with a blind cresting then hard downhill right hand turn. Would have pulled it off, but naturally there was an SUV coming the other way. Instinct was to increase steering input and "bang" ##s end hangin out to dry. By the way, missed the SUV. I'm sure that guy or girl had a few choice names for Me though.

6. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    When I saw you start sliding I almost crapped my pants. That was a close one for sure!