Winter tires | FerrariChat

Winter tires

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by CavalloRosso, Sep 22, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    We have finally finished our house in the Vail valley and will be moving our Volvo XC90 out there. Can you guys give me recommendations for snow tires? Studs vs studless? Best brands? Any help is appreciated.

2. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Studded tires is the only way to go. They give you real security for winter driving.

3. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Personally, I feel studded are overkill and not necessary. For reference, I live in Vail. I put Vredesteins on the Range Rover and have NEVER had an issue. There may be days when studded are desirable, but, realistically, they aren't all that plentiful. Even up here in the mountains. Studded may give more peace of mind, but they are also harder on the roads. That may not be your concern, but I've not been stranded or afraid of going out on the Vredes. Also, the recommended tire by Range Rover is the Nokian Hakkepelita. You might check those out. I went with the Vredes, because I had good experiences with them on my Audi.

CW

4. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    Thanks for the replies. So far I have one vote for studs and one for studless....hmmmm...:D

5. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    What size tires you looking for? I've got some tires off my X5 for sale. I wouldn't do studded unless your real high and or on a less maintained road. Blizzaks are a great tire or the mich xice I had on my subaru were great as well.

6. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    I vote no on the studded tire. I run Blizzaks on all my cars.

7. Dogdish

Dogdish Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Denver
    I vote for studless. I also run Blizzaks on an Audi A6 and a old 99 Ford Exploder. Haven't had any problems. ANY snow tire is way ahead of any M+S. Studless will work 99% of the time. I hope I have enough food and water for that 1% that I can't make it. :)

PS...I also have 2 down sleeping bags, just in case.

Dogdish

8. whatspeedlimit?

whatspeedlimit? Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2007
    Denver, Colorado
  9. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    #9 Mule, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
    Most commercial studded tires don't add a lot if the conditions are not for them. Example: in Anchorage, studs are great on icy wet days, when there is a lot of precip, and the temp is around 30 degrees. On very cold dry days, a good tire that can grab the snow works, and the studs don't add a lot (commercial studs, not big rally spikes). Also, you have tires with winter siping (which is again for wet and icy conditions). People don't use studs in Fairbanks, because it stays dry and cold (nice crunchy snow). Dry snow has a lot of traction.

One winter I had mud terrain tires on my truck, and they were awesome when the snow was deep, cold, dry and crunchy. On wet days, they were very slippery. With all-terrain tires, better traction (more siping, more rubber), but didn't dig through the deep stuff as well.

A good winter tire will have the right tread, softer rubber for gripping snow, but also lots of siping for when it is wet and icy. An all season tire might work, but doesn't have the siping and usually a harder rubber that loses grip in the cold.

I now use all-terrain tires with a little extra siping added and one row of studs on the edges. Don't want too many studs or you may slide though an intersection if the pavement is exposed (with sparks). Of course we have two sets and switch twice a year. Winter tires are not "year round" tires, so plan on another set of wheels and tires if you get a winter specific or studded tire.

Evaluate the local conditions - more snow or more ice? Today's winter tires are very good, and some can even add studs later if needed.

10. porschespeeddemon

Feb 26, 2005
    Highlands Ranch
    I run Pirelli Ice and Snows in 19" on my Cayenne Turbo when the snow flies. Have had great experience with them.

11. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Another bit of info. When you get the winter tires, I mentioned above having two sets of wheels and tires. Not only does this make winter and spring changeover easier, but it helps avoid a problem. It may not always happen, but a lot of people I know did the same set of wheels and changed only the tires twice a year. Other than increased labor cost, a few of them experienced that the wheels would develop small leaks on the bead from the wear of changing the tires so often.

12. MichaelB145

MichaelB145 Karting

Apr 22, 2010
    at the Man Cave
    Full Name:
    Michael Bergren
    I would recommend talking to Chris at On Site Tires. He is the guy who has a bad ass mobile rig for putting on tires. He only charges a couple of hundred dollars to drive up to Vail and put them on for you. He is also really good at finding the right tires when nobody can seem to find them.

His number is 720-227-0119.

Michael Bergren

13. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    +1
    I use Chris all the time.

14. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    Thanks Michael. I will give him a call. And thanks to all of the other posters.

Right now I'm leaning toward getting a second set of wheels with either Michelin or Blizzak studless tires.