winter storage | FerrariChat

winter storage

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by altaman, Nov 19, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. altaman

altaman Karting

Feb 25, 2005
    michigan
    Full Name:
    BRYAN
    who better to ask questions about winter storage than my midwest ferrari brothers. I am faced with my first winter storage and have some questions. first of all I plan on taking her out when the weather allows. I think this is good for the car. if i store in a garage with just a cover how much do i have to worry about condensation issues. my friend suggested a product called damp-rid. or should i consider a car capsule. if this is not the biggest issue i may opt for the car cover. i would then take her out on drives, speed shine and re-cover. any further advice. p.s. i know about stabilant and blocking the exhaust from critters, as well as battery tenders.

2. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Not sure what kind of car/model you have...

But if you plan on driving her once and a while - and you have a garage with a cover. You really only need to do one thing IMO. Get a good trickle charger (about 30 - 80 bucks at any auto parts store). and you are ready to go.

I have never really done anything (damp rid, blocking the exhaust, etc. etc.) - no need to unless your garage is really damp and you have a lot of rodents coming into your garage.

3. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    If your going to drive it on sunny days I might not even worry about putting the cover on. My painter says "putting on a cover is a two person job, you must not slide the cover on the paint, no matter how hard you try you're going to get grit embedded in your cover, and this causes scratches in the paint".

Most car collectors that I've seen that actually use covers use a very light plastic to cover cars very much like the plastic that comes from the dry-cleaner and they use a new sheet each time.

4. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I thought he was asking about just a normal car cover (like the silky kind) - I had one for all my cars (all came with it) - and for my collect F-cars, I would just buy one aftermarket.

If you are talking about a special cover - I would skip it as well...

5. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I drive my TR whenever conditions permit, it could be totally freezing cold outside but if the roads are clear, dry, and salt-free....then I'm going for a drive. I just make sure I get everything up to operating temps. The furnace in the TR works VERY well. I do poor in some stabilizer in the gas tank and that's about it. Condensation is really only a problem when spring is coming. When the air is warm and the concrete is cold, that's when you get serious condensation. I don't use a cover for the car due to the possible paint-damage reasons mentioned previously. There is a lot less dust in the winter than in the summer and fall seasons. I do occasionally lay a thin cotton sheet over the freshly-cleaned car if I'm going to be doing other activities in the shop.

Back when I had a 63 split-window coupe that I did a 6 year restoration on, I used to go to incredible lengths to keep things pristine. I detailed the car to the nines, got out the big bag, shoved the car in, tossed in a ton of dessicant, shop vac'd all the air out, and closed eveything up tight. The next summer even unprotected plain steel parts would still be perfect - but I was a slave to that car - not fun at all. It was practically too nice to drive! I won't live a life like that again.

6. altaman

altaman Karting

Feb 25, 2005
    michigan
    Full Name:
    BRYAN
    great advice from everybody. what do i do about the condensation issue???? other wise yeah i feel comfortable with just leaving the car in the garage with new oil and driving her when it is nice out. no cover

7. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hey Bry,

If I don't talk to you before the weekend you can use my carcoon for the winter if you want.

8. jcwconsult

jcwconsult Karting

Sep 20, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Full Name:
    Jim Walker
    A fairly new specification low-temperature dehumidifier is a good idea. They work down to 40-42 degrees for the days we get a lot of melting and high humidity.

Regards,

Jim Walker
    365 GT 2+2 #12451

9. sailrat

sailrat Karting

Nov 28, 2006
    MI
    Full Name:
    Brad
    I've not heard of a low temp dehumidifier before. Are they "plug in and forget"?

10. jcwconsult

jcwconsult Karting

Sep 20, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Full Name:
    Jim Walker

They are not quite that good. They are ordinary dehumidifiers, but built to a modern specification that allows them to function at lower temperatures than ones of years ago. Most newer units now work down to about 40 - 42 degrees F. Since Michigan gets so much of the freeze-thaw weather, it helps keep the garage dry.

Regards,

Jim Walker
    365 GT 2+2 #12451