Winter storage fuel additive? | FerrariChat

Winter storage fuel additive?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by VG221, Sep 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VG221

VG221 Rookie

Sep 20, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Vito Garofalo
    Just curious when storing a car for the winter months... (October to March)... does anyone use any fuel additives in their cars? Stabile? Anything else anyone might use?

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I have used Seafoam coming of of long term storage but understand it can be use before putting in storage

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I've used stabil for years. Works great no issues as long as you add the correct amount and follow instructions

Rick Weston and ShadowLAP like this.
  4. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I use Sta-Bil as well. Works great!

Rick Weston and ShadowLAP like this.
  5. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Sta-Bil in my boat, generators, Harley, etc. Haven’t used it in the F430 because I drive it every couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

john a barnes likes this.
  6. jstollen

jstollen Rookie

Jan 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    James Stollenwerck
    Sta-Bil is fine and you can get it anywhere. It's cheap so regular use isn't a bad idea either.

7. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    Yeah,I'm with Extreme 1. Sta-bil only. Sea Foam is for rookies. Would you really want to put Snake oil into anything. Lucas anyone?

JCR likes this.
  8. Cavallino430

Cavallino430 Rookie

Sep 27, 2016
    Use race fuel and you will never have problems race fuel don’t go bad !! I run race fuel on all my cars, Harley, UTV etc....

JCR likes this.
  9. asphaltca

asphaltca Karting

Nov 3, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    A good start is to put fuel in that has no Ethanol as it can start to break down within 30 days. Then add the Sta-Bil for the long winter months. I do it with a car I have in Florida for the past 10 years that I drive one month out of the year. I can tell you that after 11 months in storage the fuel does not have the same octane but once through that historic fuel it is business as usual.

Mimmo Blue and obertRo like this.
  10. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I top up with Sta-bil with every fill up. It's always in my fuel tank and I have never had a fuel issue in any of my toy-cars.

11. sharkeys

sharkeys Rookie

May 13, 2012
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jack Sharkey
    In the older Ferrari & muscle cars we use strictly Cam2 Leaded 110. In the days of unleaded we use the 100 Cam 2 unleaded.
    When it evaporates in the fuel bowl of the Weber it leaves NO residue, NOTHING. Shelf life? 2 years. $12.00 gallon. Added feature, the cars love it! They run like scalded cats!
    Pantera Miami

Stevecarguy likes this.
  12. brumby

brumby Rookie

Jun 27, 2020
    Northern Ohio
    Full Name:
    McLerrari
    I use Sta-Bil in all of my stored vehicles. Not sure of the benefit in using it in every tank, at least not while actively driving the car.

13. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Stabil here also. Used religiously during the 5 to 6 months winter sleep

14. DannoXYZ

DannoXYZ Rookie

Mar 24, 2011
    Sta-bil 360 Marine. Has higher amounts of active ingredients.
    It actually has stuff specifically to prevent water from separating out of ethanol fuels.
    Ethanol fuel is anhydrous (dry) with no water, but it sucks it out of air above in tank.
    When enough water is absorbed, it starts separating out.
    Sta-bil prevents that separation. But you should still fill up tank to top to limit amount of water-vapour.

15. Dino6304

Dino6304 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2020
    CT
    Full Name:
    Laurence
    I have been using Sta-Bil Marine for many years. In CT the toys get stored from November through late April. I have never had a problem.

16. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    While gas containing ethanol has a shelf life of about 30 days (before it starts to varnish*), regular gas without ethanol has a shelf life of about 6 months. If your Ferrari is older I recommend running ethanol free gas in it all the time as that was what was intended. Definitely do Not run ethanol gas in a carbureted car as it will corrode the throttle body. The added bonus of running "real" gas (besides the higher energy/volume) is that you can idle your car for months at a time without fear of your gas harming it.

*Hydrocarbons in the gas react with oxygen to produce new compounds that eventually change the chemical composition of the fuel. This leads to gum and varnish deposits in the fuel system. These deposits and impurities can clog up gas lines and filters, as well as the small orifices in a carburetor and the even smaller orifices in a fuel injector. Removing these deposits can be expensive and your vehicle may not run at all or run very poorly until they are removed.

17. rsbgcali

rsbgcali Rookie

Nov 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    James Lawson
    Hi
    I would recommend never idling for long and or frequently. The concern is oil dilution. Cars run rich at start up and the oil thins out. When driven at full temperatures it evaporates. Of course I keep my cars for decades And pile on the miles. We can also drive year round in Oregon and rarely have snow. It’s great driving the convertibles in February. Crank up the heater and place a blanket over your legs. My little bulldog loves it. Of course she just loves any chance to ride.
    I get a few stares. I prefer to think it’s envy.
    My two cents
    Jim

epb0 likes this.
  18. straightpipe

straightpipe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Picked up 14 gal from the local airport truck last week. Going back for 20 more. Works with both my old cars. The service truck driver said I'd never go back to a gas station after using it. He's got a early big block T-Bird and that's all he uses.

19. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed
    While Avgas does not contain ethanol, I don’t believe it contains DCA (deposit control additive) as well. The high lead in Avgas can leave some serious deposits on valves and other components. Not designed for our motors.

20. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Anyone in central south nj using the gas from mighty joe's .. just look it up and it seems like no ethanol 91 octane

Curious if anyone uses it and experience with it

Tia for feedback

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

21. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    What part of the country are you in that you have to store a car over winter? I might could see CT, VT, Minnesota, maybe Montana and Wisconsin? That sounds more like something you would do for a boat. Are there not nice days in your neck of the woods whereby you can get out for a drive?

22. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    If this was directed at the Op then np. However, lots of us here in Canada, NY, NJ, Pa etc. see lots of snow for months on end.
    The issue is not only snow. If it didn't snow and the roads were dry the road salt still presents a problem. If your car is leased and you didn't care about the next owner then np. However, if your car is a keeper like mine it stays cuddled in my garage on foam blocks, with a car cover, a full tank of fresh gas & Stabil, fresh oil change and a trickle charger.
    .... till I'm ready to wake her up in Spring after the thaw and proof that the roads are clear of salt.

Annual ritual

moysiuan likes this.
  23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I've never used any fuel additive when putting my cars or other IC engined things away for the winter. Never had a problem, come spring. 35 years with my 308. Park it, disconnect the battery, cover it, forget it for 6 months.