Winter Spotters | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Winter Spotters

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by tifosi12, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The 308 is my only car. I drive it less than 1,000 miles per year. I use public transportation as my daily commute. If I had a different car, I might be driving it to work every day and therefore have a much bigger carbon footprint. Ergo the Ferrari is green. Not that I really care whether it is or not.
    :)

2. Gerry328

Gerry328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2006
    Home
    Full Name:
    Gerry
    My New Year's resolution is to increase my carbon foot.

3. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    LOL

One trans Atlantic flight will do that just fine. Thank you very much.

Did you hear the story about the Prius (?) they gave McCartney as a gift? It was some kind of green award. But to make it to the presenation in time, they had to transport it by airplane. Ouch!

4. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I heard on Fox News this morning that two Google searches uses the same amount of energy as boiling a pot of water (dealing with the white, lighted background on the computer screen.) It's estimated that the IT industry uses as much energy annually as the world's entire airline industry.

5. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    So how big was the pot of water? Kind of makes a difference if we are talking about a cup of water or a 2-gallon pot of water. If you really want to get technical, what temperature did the water start at?

6. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    #81 drgek, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
    1. Standard size tea kettle
    2. Room temperature

I suppose if I really had to get technical, I'd need to know the brightness of the monitor, how fast the person typed in his search terms, speed of the internet connection, and how many hits Google returned, not to even mention the source of the power supply of the computer (battery? electric?) and, in the case of electrical, was it coal? Wind? Hydroelectric? Nuclear?

7. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    The situation just sounds weird and like someone made a calculation error. I find it difficult to believe that 2 searches, which would take seconds, actually used that much energy. Is ther a link? This is just my OC showing.

8. blabardi

blabardi Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Downers Grove, IL
    I have to admit that I too was part of the SUV hating crowd --- until I had a kid. Do you have any idea how large today's car seats are? Large enough to cause me to have to dump my 993 and take up the majority of the back seat in my C class. Still don't own a SUV but every time my C class gets stuck in the snow, I get to thinking about that Cayenne....

9. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Sounds weird to me, also, but an apparently not-so-green Google search yielded the following story, undoubtedly the basis for the Fox News report:

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article5489134.ece

10. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks and I did 2 searches. No real data provided and if the power came from hydroelectric, there would be no CO2 produced. So, I think there are a lot of assumptions in the calculation such as all the power Google consumes for lighting and heating all of their buildings, etc... But the guy is from Harvard, how could he be wrong?

11. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Ya had to through in the Roller; didn't ya Johnny!

That's hitting below the belt......SHEESH.

12. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    Yep, that's me, a low hittin, SUV drivin type of guy.

Just so everyone knows I have been driving for 39 years and have had 2 accidents. Both were not my fault. One was when an uncoming car hit some ice and slid into me and the second was when a young girl pulled out in front of me. Both were impossible to avoid. So when I drive my SUV, everyone around me is fairly safe.

13. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    :)

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Watch the Top Gear race between the Hamster in a Cayenne and a man in a "flying squirrel" suit. That race shows how Porsche NOT made the Cayenne for off road racing.

15. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Hey guys, blew the trans. on my Lincoln today. Anyone want to give me a lift? :rolleyes:

16. blabardi

blabardi Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Downers Grove, IL
    Great episode but I'm not really looking to do off road racing. Only commute to work; as such I'd prefer something intend for the road not dirt. Any suggestions on a great winter car?

17. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    #92 JohnnyS, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
    I guess gas prices will drop now that there will be more available. ;) :rolleyes:

Another low blow.....I know.....couldn't help myself.:D

18. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    #93 badges2, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Saw this is Wheaton today. Not really exotic (Carrera 4S), but it's slim pickins this time of year. I just can't see driving it in this weather and getting this much salt all over it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. SaturnVUEguy

SaturnVUEguy Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Carol Stream, IL
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I've talked to a guy, this is many years ago, who had a Viper ACR and would drive it in the winter, but wash it as soon as he would get home

20. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Hey, I was getting about 17mpg city and 23mpg highway. The only problem was the car had no traction.

I'm in the market for a 4WD SUV now! :D

21. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    Okay!!!!!!!!! Another convert!!!!!!

22. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    #97 Ingenere, Jan 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hot too much winter 'spotting' going on in the Windy City, judging by this thread.

Well here is an average Sat morning get together of a few cars for coffee in AZ in the winter. The GTO is real! Don't forget to bundle up! btw...... we have 72 and sunshine today! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    You just couldn't resist,could you??!!
    Staring out of my office window at the mess outside and seeing your pick just makes me cringe....

24. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    #99 badges2, Jan 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
    Holy crap is that cold hearted Ingenere!! How could you post a picture like that when we're in these dangerous conditions and months away from warm weather??? You should be ashamed of yourself!

can I live in your shed? Please? I'll be very quiet..........think about it..........

25. SaturnVUEguy

SaturnVUEguy Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Carol Stream, IL
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Neil, if you move down there, let me borrow the Crown Vic for a few months until you come back home. I'm sure Wheaton won't notice ;)

Aside from that, I actually enjoy the cold weather, and LOVE snow. I just hate people who don't know how to drive in it