Winter Park, CO - things to do | FerrariChat

Winter Park, CO - things to do

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by nsxnick, Jan 23, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nsxnick

nsxnick Formula 3

Jul 24, 2001
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Nick
    our ski trip to utah earlier this month was a disappointment due to poor conditions. we're headed for Winter Park 2/17 - 2/21 to make up for it.

are there any must-do/must-see things in Winter Park besides skiing?

Thanks

2. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Yeah, visit Breckenridge.

Sorry, but Winter Park will likely be very unimpressive. The snow may be good but the mountain is average and I don't know if there is much apres ski.

Seriously, if you don't want another disappointment I would suggest Breck, Keystone, Vail, Beaver Creek, or Copper.

-F

3. Matt308

Matt308 Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2004
    CO
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I always liked Winter Park for skiing, but I Just don't get there anymore. You're right though, it's never been the social hot spot! Beautiful country there. If you like cross-country or skate skiing, definitely check out Devils Thumb/ Idlewild.

4. nsxnick

nsxnick Formula 3

Jul 24, 2001
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Nick
    we specifically pick non-touristy areas when we travel. we avoid crouds and party scenes. we looked at vail and breckenridge... they seem too "paris hilton" for our tastes. we liked that Winter Park attracts locals.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yea, last time I was there not many after hours spots off the mountain but conditions and lodging were top notch..

No complaints as I had won the trip and coasted along for the week...have fun!

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm SURE it's built up some, since then!

I like Keystone, as they light it at night and the families go home.......of course if you're crashed and injured it may take awhile to find you!

Coming off the mountain at ten you NEED no nightlife, just the hot tub!

Have a great time CO has the snow, this year!

7. mjcdriscoll

mjcdriscoll Karting

Jun 4, 2005
    Parker, CO
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I would suggest Copper before breck. Breck gets too many out of towners and copper is a better mountain than most of the others suggested.

8. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    If you want apres ski and fabulous restaurants
    Aspen is the best.

At least 20 world class restaurants.

Having the ESPN Winter X games right now.

Then there is HBO Comedy Fest and so on.

Plus, lot of Ferraris and even more Porsches.

Aspen has four mountains which all all included in the lift ticlet. Free bus shuttle to and from each mountain. No lift lines.

There is so much to do, you will have to pick and choose.

There is nothing to do in Winter Park except ski. It is so close to Denver that everyone goes home to Denver each night. Well, almost everyone.
    Fernandos Pizza is the best place to eat in Winter Park. You will have lift lines, really heavy on Fri, Sat and Sun.

If you want more info let me know.

Phil Not Hill
    Aspen
    2002 360 F1 Spider

9. cycloneGTS

cycloneGTS Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    Fontenot's is a nice place to grab lunch in WP...and the steakhouse on the east side of 40 is really good.

If you're up for a drive, 45 minutes gets you to Grand Lake and Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park. Snowmobiling seems to be popular this time of year.

Cool side note...I just returned from WP today...saw a few mountain sheep on 40 just before hitting I-70. CO folks will laugh at me for mentioning...but I thought it was awesome (can't find those in TX).

10. MercedesSL600Man

May 20, 2005
    Broomfield, CO
    Full Name:
    BC
    Another place in CO I LOVE to go to is Telluride. It's a bit of a trek, but its worth it. There is an airport nearby. Not too touristy (yet...) and great accomodations. The town is great too, very quaint. The hotel I stay in (Wyndham Peaks) is seperated from the town by a small mountain ridge, and a 10 minute, gorgeous gondola ride puts you right into the town. It reminds me of Aspen without the "attitude." Dont get me wrong, I love Aspen, but you said you don't like touristy areas, and I consider Aspen one.

Telluride during winter and summer is absolutely beautiful, and gets me vote for favorite town in CO.

Edit to add:

My parents had a cabin in Frasier (right north of WP) and we never really minded not having too much to do. It's very relaxing! If you're there for the skiing, you will love it.

11. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    There is a chinese restaurant in the main shopping center that is popular.
    Also, a ranch with a restaurant near Tabernash (10-15 miles) is pretty good.

You won't have to worry about bumping into celebs in WP like you will in Aspen either.

My bother in law has a place in Fraser (5 miles). It is 15 below zero F every morning but warms up about 10-11 AM. Snuggle up.

If I think of anything more, I'll post it.

PNH
    Aspen

12. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    For things to do in Winter Park other than skiing:
    1. Tubing on the Fraser Hill (really fun if you have a few folks and race down the hill.)

2. Snow Mountain Ranch has some good snow shoe tours. (Not an adreline rush but a good way to get a work out. I did the hike up to the 9 Mile summit and it was a good work out.)

3. Snow Mobiling -- Trail Blazers in Winter Park has some decent tours.

For skiing, be sure to try Mary Jane for some of the best bumps around. When skiing in Winter Park, be sure to pick up a little speed before hitting the flat areas. I sure like skiing there but there are areas that you have have to push getting from one area to the next. (Fresh wax sure helps!)

For Restaurants:
    Smoking Moes is not a bad BBQ place. (Located in the shopping center as you enter the town. Same basic vicinity as the Chinese Place mentioned above.

I like The Shedd -- kind of an upscale Mexican Alternative.

The Untamed is not bad as well.

For pizza, try Hernandos.

As discussed here, Winter Park is not the tourist, party town but is pretty good value for money with some really good skiing.

Ski the Jane!

13. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    He's not joking. I grew up in CO and have skied all over the state. WP was my LEAST favorite because of all the flats. It was the only place I skied and came home with sore ARMS! I love Mary Jane, but WP never did it for me.

14. mjcdriscoll

mjcdriscoll Karting

Jun 4, 2005
    Parker, CO
    Full Name:
    Mark
    for the best pizza or italian fodd go to:

De Antonio's Pizza & Pasta
    Address: 551 Zerex St, Fraser, CO 80442
    Phone: (970) 726-9999

This is where we go everytime we are in the area - their garlic knots are awesome! I would also reccomend the meatball sub.

15. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I second Aspen!

Even though I dont live there (Im from Denver originally though) we go to Aspen every Christmas, fall and summer. A year ago right after wife had a baby we were able to fill a week in winter with out even skiing.

plus
    1 - airport is close
    2 - food..ooh the food. 3 words. Wasabi Ceasar Salad
    3 - shopping.
    4 - 4 mountains to ski
    5 - wine servered at the Isis movie theater
    6 - bars

minus
    1 - costs alot
    2 - not alot of kiddie things (depending on age of course)

16. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    So, how was it?

-F

17. nsxnick

nsxnick Formula 3

Jul 24, 2001
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Thanks for asking.

We loved it. WP wasn't as bad as a couple people above said. MJ was a workout on the legs but awesome. Lots and lots of trees to zig zag through. We had a fantastic time.... we even went tubing twice. It's our second favorite after Big Mtn, MT. It's refreshing to ski where people come to ski... not to show off their latest fashion.

18. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I once went out to the little town airport and rented a Cessna 182 and the local instructor because I specifically wanted to know what it was like to take off and land at that altitude. Runway was about 7000+ as I recall.

I can tell you that it got my full & complete attention - I was sure glad I didn't try to go in there with my little 7ECA Citabria without checking out the experience first.

Funny thing - the instructor forgot the 10* takeoff flaps until we were screaming along at about 110 indicated, then ran them down. Once in the air, I asked him if he left them up at first to get better ground acceleration.

He replied "Oh yes, we always do that in Mountain Flying". After a moment or two he said "also, in Mountain Flying it is very important to keep the BullSh** to an absolute minimum".

Forgot to say "winter weather permitting", of course - but this is a great way to see the surrounding scenery.